Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread >

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is one more set of blocks finally assembled. These were from a swap on another board, I think from before I started posting on this one, so they've been around for a while. It was a drawing, anyone wanting to join was sent a 12.5" square of the same fabric to make a 12.5" block and return. Then a name was drawn from the participants and that person won all the blocks and about a yard of the fabric. The catch was that the winner had to supply the fabric for then next one.

This was one I won - which I wasn't real thrilled about as I didn't care much for the fabric. It's a rather strange brown color, and very hard to find fabrics that looked good with it. Most people went with a fall look, so that helps. This was open to anyone that wanted to join, and many were novices to sewing and quilting. About 1/3 of the blocks were undersize, and several others were so wonky that they needed help. I'd say most of the problems were from not trimming units before sewing them to other units. I used the undersized and wonky blocks and remade them so I could add sashing around them to get 12.5". I did use all the blocks I received, and only had to make one more to have enough. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
Nice job, you ended up making the blocks into something beautiful
Old 01-31-2022, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
Great finish Macybaby. I was in a large Christmas swap years ago on a different board (40 blocks) and when I got several of them back, I had the uncharitable thought "I traded my block for this?" Eventually I put it together using most of the blocks with wide sashings and grew to love it. It is still a floppy though. Speaking of floppies, here are two lap size ones from boom 26.
Nice quilts, I love anything with nature in them. Beautiful
Old 01-31-2022, 04:18 PM

Yes MJ I love your appliqué

Sewbiz sounds like you had a lovely walk through your woods. Do you have to worry about ticks there? A friend of ours has a cabin in the woods up North and we love walking through the trees especially in the fall

We finally had a nice warm day here, bought my red geraniums but not planting for a bit. Supposed to get another cold wave
Old 01-31-2022, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Red geraniums are my favorite flower! Yes, we have ticks here, but not a problem this time of year. It's been too cold.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 PM

Cleaned up my shelves/drawers and found 6 completed flimsy. SIX!! Plus two almost done. Bagged them all up and put them aside!!. Went to clean machine to prepare for block making and cant get screw unscrewed! Will take it down the road tomorrow and let repairman do it. UGH. Took other machine out and cleaned, oiled and changed needle. And that was my day!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:02 AM

Good morning! Looks like Terriamn’s original package will be delivered today. Woo hoo!

I’m sitting in front of an LQS waiting for then to open momentarily. Never been here before. I need thread and some neutrals. They’re just setting up their display quilts outside. They’re so pretty!

TG, doesn’t it feel good to be all cleaned up and cleared away in prep for a new project? I hope your sewing machine is a quick fix!

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Cleaned up my shelves/drawers and found 6 completed flimsy. SIX!! Plus two almost done. Bagged them all up and put them aside!!. Went to clean machine to prepare for block making and cant get screw unscrewed! Will take it down the road tomorrow and let repairman do it. UGH. Took other machine out and cleaned, oiled and changed needle. And that was my day!
Old 02-01-2022, 01:12 PM

Terriamn’s package finally arrived. Woo hoo!
Old 02-01-2022, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Hi All,
For those of you who remember Givio who did a Boom with us not too many swaps ago, she passed away today from cancer. She had been sick since about 2020. She is finally home. Please pray for her loved ones if you are a praying person.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:16 PM

Want to pass something by everyone... would you be up to a English Paper pieced block? I have found I love the hand sewing but not sure how the participants would feel. Let me know. I will not be doing them all but maybe one or two.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:29 PM

I'm OK with anything anyone wants to make for me. I don't have anything already in mind for the completed blocks, so didn't sent any instructions along with the fabric.

l like the freedom to make whatever I want, but I also really like the challenge to make a block that meets a request. And with any swap, there are usually some of both so it's all good.