Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread >

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 03:30 PM

Here is one more set of blocks finally assembled. These were from a swap on another board, I think from before I started posting on this one, so they've been around for a while. It was a drawing, anyone wanting to join was sent a 12.5" square of the same fabric to make a 12.5" block and return. Then a name was drawn from the participants and that person won all the blocks and about a yard of the fabric. The catch was that the winner had to supply the fabric for then next one.

This was one I won - which I wasn't real thrilled about as I didn't care much for the fabric. It's a rather strange brown color, and very hard to find fabrics that looked good with it. Most people went with a fall look, so that helps. This was open to anyone that wanted to join, and many were novices to sewing and quilting. About 1/3 of the blocks were undersize, and several others were so wonky that they needed help. I'd say most of the problems were from not trimming units before sewing them to other units. I used the undersized and wonky blocks and remade them so I could add sashing around them to get 12.5". I did use all the blocks I received, and only had to make one more to have enough. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5515.jpg   imgp5516.jpg  
Old 01-30-2022, 04:06 PM

Great finish Macybaby. I was in a large Christmas swap years ago on a different board (40 blocks) and when I got several of them back, I had the uncharitable thought "I traded my block for this?" Eventually I put it together using most of the blocks with wide sashings and grew to love it. It is still a floppy though. Speaking of floppies, here are two lap size ones from boom 26.
Attached Thumbnails zzz-boom-26a.jpg   zzz-boom-26b.jpg  
Old 01-30-2022, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is one more set of blocks finally assembled. These were from a swap on another board, I think from before I started posting on this one, so they've been around for a while. It was a drawing, anyone wanting to join was sent a 12.5" square of the same fabric to make a 12.5" block and return. Then a name was drawn from the participants and that person won all the blocks and about a yard of the fabric. The catch was that the winner had to supply the fabric for then next one.

This was one I won - which I wasn't real thrilled about as I didn't care much for the fabric. It's a rather strange brown color, and very hard to find fabrics that looked good with it. Most people went with a fall look, so that helps. This was open to anyone that wanted to join, and many were novices to sewing and quilting. About 1/3 of the blocks were undersize, and several others were so wonky that they needed help. I'd say most of the problems were from not trimming units before sewing them to other units. I used the undersized and wonky blocks and remade them so I could add sashing around them to get 12.5". I did use all the blocks I received, and only had to make one more to have enough. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I did one of those swaps too, although I didn't win anything. You've done a beautiful job of making all of those blocks look great!
Old 01-30-2022, 06:09 PM

It’s a good idea at this time to remind everyone that color requests are just that, requests. The vast majority of swappers will do as you request (at least their interpretation of your request) but occasionally someone goes their own way. No way around that. The major rule everyone must follow is to make a 12 1/2 inch square block, or as reasonably close as you can get to that goal. And makers determine the block they want to make. If anyone has questions about an f8, reach out to the owner or to me. Chances are you won’t be the only one who has the question. There are no such things as silly questions on the boom threads. Anyone not wishing to go directly to the other swappers in a pm can email me and I’ll get the answer for you.

The hard part is done, all the prep and mailing procedures. Now you just have to get your F8s and see what block they tell you to make. Funny how fabrics can speak to you! And most of all, have fun playing!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

More great quilts, Macybaby and B'stone! The bird fabric came out so nice.

Nothing like an upcoming new swap to get us moving on completion of the old blocks! Ha!
Old 01-31-2022, 03:52 AM

Bibliostone, your Boom 26 quilts are lovely. Love the dark green sashings and the fussy cut cornerstones. So pretty!

Happy news! Terriamn’s original package has been tracked in SC. It’s on its way.

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-31-2022 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:03 AM

Sewbiz very fun tumbler

Biblistone your bird tops turned out so soft and soothing. Great fussy cutting on your cornerstones.

Macy another great top and setting.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:57 AM

Beautiful bird quilts Biblio. I remember that fabric. I had such a hard time cutting it up!

Macy you have a gift for settings and borders on swap quilts. It’s really inspiring.

thanks for sharing these beauties Biblio and Macy
Old 01-31-2022, 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=Janice McC;8534427]It’s a good idea at this time to remind everyone that color requests are just that, requests. The vast majority of swappers will do as you request (at least their interpretation of your request) but occasionally someone goes their own way. No way around that. The major rule everyone must follow is to make a 12 1/2 inch square block, or as reasonably close as you can get to that goal. And makers determine the block they want to make. If anyone has questions about an f8, reach out to the owner or to me. Chances are you won’t be the only one who has the question

yes I have two or three boom blocks I just didn’t include in the quilt because they didn’t play well with the others. Sometimes my fault, as my directions weren’t clear enough. I’m going to make place mats out of them. I always ask if I’d like to vary.

When I was new I tried to do simpler piecing blocks. One time I tried the more advanced ones and I had to add a border to make it come up to 12 1/2. Once was enough. My first boom I made a double set of blocks for the medium difficulty blocks. The first for me, the second for the boom, so I could practice. Different fabrics though.

my boom sisters were very gracious about my efforts.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 01-31-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Your blocks are always lovely, MJP! And you do the most special applique ones...