Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

No new birthday squishies yesterday or today. The mailman did bring my Kona white fabric, so hopefully I can sew some more blocks in a little while. Waiting on the sealer to dry on another project so I can clear off my work table. I have too many hobbies.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Here's the block I made from MizMelly's candies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mizmelly.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 PM

The next randomly-drawn envelope was TravelingGramma's, and here's the block I made from her candies. Thanks for the fun "extra"!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572957[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails travelinggramma.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM
lum

I put the last 3 May envelopes in the mail, they will go out on Fri.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Block made with JaniceMcC's candies:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572958[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails janicemcc.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 AM

Last one for now. There just aren't enough hours in a day! This block was made from DJMat's candies. Love all the great colors, the awesome cutting accuracy, and the extra candies!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572960[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails djmat.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 AM

Oh! Here's the project I mentioned earlier, where I was waiting on the sealer to dry. They're painted rocks. Our vacation (woo hoo!) is coming up next month, and we're planning a very scenic road trip through North Carolina. I'm going to leave a rock whenever we stop, hoping it'll bring a smile to the person who finds it. I'd never heard of it before, but DH found a painted rock awhile back when we were camping, and it turns out that it's a game of sorts. The finder can pass the rock along to someone else, or they can keep it. I just thought it would be fun. Here's a pic of some of my favorites. Keep in mind that I'm a better quilter than a painter! LOL! (That black, gray, and white mandala rock in the center is mine. I actually liked how it turned out, and now I don't wanna give it up! hee hee)

Edit: I forgot to mention: The backs of the rocks have words on them like inspire, smile, relax, breathe, luck, make a wish, etc.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572961[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails paintedrocks.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Moonrise. You are a very talented woman! Your quilts are coming together quickly and are inspiring me to take time to smell the roses (at least the roses on my fabric!).

Your painted rocks are fabulous! Love the two black ones and the watermelon. Did that skillset take you long to master?

Whomever finds them will have a real treasure
Old 05-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Moonrise. You are a very talented woman! Your quilts are coming together quickly and are inspiring me to take time to smell the roses (at least the roses on my fabric!).

Your painted rocks are fabulous! Love the two black ones and the watermelon. Did that skillset take you long to master?

Whomever finds them will have a real treasure
Aw, thanks. There's really not much to them, though, especially the dotted ones. I used dotting tools for painting fingernails, a piece of a dowel rod, and a pencil to make the dots. Here's a video for an example. Just dip the tool into the paint, and dot it on the rock. The flowers are just a ring of 5 or 6 dots, with another dot for the center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTr8dNJmt8

The watermelon one is kind of funny, because in the container of rocks I bought, there was one with a big chunk broken out of it. I almost threw it away, but then realized it kind of looked like a watermelon. A little red, green, and white paint, and some "seeds" made with a paint marker, and suddenly I had a watermelon! Paint markers make drawing details and writing words super-easy.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 AM

Moonrise, you are moving right along, on many project. They all look super. This is a great birthday month to remember........