Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New >

Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Old 02-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
There are only a few people who expressed a preference for specific colors. And it's not like they are demanding all 50 to be pink or yellow or whatever. I cut a lot of pinks because I have a lot of pinks., but even the packages for WMUTeach and onamtnest have other colors.
I jumped on the bandwagon when it was first 'suggested' that it might be nice to know if someone had a color preference. Let it be known however, I've been happy with whatever anyone has sent over the years I've participated in this swap. I will be most grateful for the time and effort anyone puts into sending me candies this year. I in no way expected anyone to even remember my preference if I could delete my post about having a couple of preferences I would.

My apologies to any who thought I was bending the guidelines of this swap.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Oh my - I am just hopeful that I put in different fabric than last year (and thus is another reason I always add a few extras). Last year we gave our pet preference and since I had some extra cat and dog fabric I could add a fussy cut piece into the envelope. That's about it. I am in awe of everyone as it is!
I'm totally in awe of you Travelinggramma being concerned that you might duplicate a candy to someone from a previous year, you must be an organizational wizard!!

I have small clear Sterilite 15"X11"X3"craft totes that I keep candies in and pretty much by color families.

One year someone was certain that she had received candies she'd sent out and was upset that she'd been re-gifted unwanted candies. Really??? That was too funny to me at the time. Re-gifted candies? First of all my mind can't wrap around keeping track of what I cut last year or three years before that. Besides that we all buy from many of the same sources so duplicate fabric in stashes must be the norm now and again. Oh we humans can be pretty funny at times.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:57 PM

After spending several weeks last summer cutting my scraps into sizes, I finally learned to keep up with them as I make projects so they don't build up on me again. I also now Use them-i never did when they were just thrown into a basket. I have a bin for strings and every size square or strip from 1.5" to 5". 1 odd size I now cut is 2.75" squares. I pair them with 5" squares for flying geese using the 4 at a time method. And a 4 patch made with 2.75" pairs with plain 5" squares. Y'all have any odd sizes you regularly use?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2018 at 05:37 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-17-2018, 04:06 PM

Ladies you all have me smiling, I guess i should not tell you all that I do not have a stash of fabric and I went and bought a lot of FQ's to use for the swap. I live in a very small space and don't have room for a sewing room I use my small table to sew on. I did make sure to buy some yellow and orange so I could mix things up some.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Armylady, welcome to the swap. I’m sure what you bought will be great. And Just think, now you have started on having your own stash/scrapes. LOL.

I bought new fabric for this swap, just b/c I wanted to. And I wanted to make it easier on my self. Plus I did not want to duplicate from the past. I just realized I can do so now. But I won’t. LOL. I just want Bd members to be happy and hopefully like my color choices. As for individual color choices, I may mix in a few more of that color for the individuals. Unlike Most of you, I need to do my final cut tomorrow and place in baggies, etc tomorrow. Or at least get through 3-4 months. I really enjoy this thread and want to see it continue for years to come.

FYI: }If you want a throw idea for using up some of the squares? Check in on Judy’s train ride mystery #18, which just finished this week. It was short and fun. I’m thinking of putting a 9-patch border to enlarge the throw and use up more of my squares. Check it out if you haven’t. The next few weeks members will be posting their tops and give you ideas of how to make one if you like.

My scrapes are disorganized right now. I have laundry bags and boxes full of scrapes that I have save from 30-current years. I’m in the process of organizing them into colors I use most often and into lights and darks. That will be as far as I go for sorting of my scraps. I never know what size will fit in future projects. IMHO: For me scrapes are 1/8 yard or smaller, otherwise I consider it stash.

Well I’ll I hope you all have a great day, take care and happy sewing/quilting
Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Armylady, you're retired, aren't you? Now you can start to accumulate Stuff without having to worry about weight limits and will you be overweight this PCS.

I remember having to get rid of the sandbox we built for our daughter, because it would have put us overweight. We just squeaked by on that PCS. I think we were 40 pounds under our maximum.

Last edited by IceLeopard; 02-18-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:17 PM

I'm ready to roll ladies!!! Candy cut and packaged and the card finished. I'm glad I've prepared ahead of time. It makes the swap so easy. I even had my hubby get me four sheets of Forever 70¢ stamps before the price went up. I'll use the spread sheet as we go and if I remember I'll add some extra candies in the color preferences.

It's fun reading everyone's cutting/storage methods. My fabric isn't so organized, except for a bin of batiks, 30's, neutrals, candy- of course, 1800's, and cheddar/plum. I use to cut all my scraps to 2.5", 1.5", 1". I've made a 1" mini quilt but have yet to use my 1.5'. I really dreamed of a quilt where I use all three..... I have a bin of scrappy scraps, maybe I'll clean them up and start using them.

I have purchased fqs just for this swap a couple of years. I had a shop that always had a killer fat quarter sale on FatTuesday. This year I'm using a box of fqs I purchased online last year. When they arrived it was a mix of cotton, homespun, and Denim... It appeared the shop got rid of their ugliest prints. Then I started pressing them and found plenty of coordinating sets with Tula Pinks and more. Really lovely sets. I'm pleased with my little candy packets.

I'm still trying to get my 2017/18 candy sew along quilt quilted. Maybe this week, right? I actually feel like I'm in a sewing rut after sewing this together. I have all my Big sewing projects done. Now. What to do......

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM

SheriR...it must feel good to have everything ready and have all your projects done. I keep starting new projects Before finishing the old ones. Not a good idea!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
SheriR...it must feel good to have everything ready and have all your projects done. I keep starting new projects Before finishing the old ones. Not a good idea!
Ohhhhh I have more than one UFO, just nothing important.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 PM

I'm working on my candy packages too. Going through my toss box, where I toss leftover strips and pieces in as I go. Then I sort and cut to standard sizes and put away. This time I am putting them in my birthday packages first, and storing them for myself last (or not at all if I use them up). I've been working on a lot of scrap quilting projects, so I have some brights and crazies as well as muted reproductions....Ya'll should enjoy the variety.