Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New >

Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 AM

Good morning, I'm Janice McC. I'm married for over 36 years and have 2 wonderful grown sons. Neither is married but they are happy with their lives. What more can I ask? I am grandmother to 3 dogs and DH and I have 2 dogs who might as well be our children. This is my 5th year in this swap and I love it. Barb is a wonderful host and the candies, well, they speak for themselves. I've got one long term candy project going right now with them. I'm in another swap currently so I've set it aside but once that's over, I hope to finish it up. I'm routinely the last person to receive their candies, a late Feb birthday, so my packages are rolling in daily from last year's swap. So much fun! Thanks, Barb!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM

I have my fabric now to cut it. Going to finish my BOOM squares and then on to cutting. I love this swap.

Mail out my Feb. candies tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM

I spent a chunk of the weekend cutting for this swap and for the monthly charm swap. Have at least 12-15 sets ready to go, so I feel more prepared! Had an offer on our house, took a lot of wheelin' and dealin' until both parties accepted...then the buyer backed out. Which means we won't be getting the house we were hoping to get as they got another offer...back to square 1.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM

Hi everyone... I was in this swap during the fourth year. I took last year off so I could use up some of my candies. I’ve had 30 packages ready for months. Yesterday I added four more so everything is cut and packaged for this year.

I finished my first quilt on my birthday in 2010. It took me a year. It was a queen-size bedspread of my own design that I hand quilted. The only sewing I had done before that was a seam to make curtains.

I find following a pattern much harder than making what comes out of my head. I love to make show quilts. My ultimate goal is to have a quilt juried into Houston. I may try submitting my current quilt that uses many candy squares and my Valentine Candy block (see tutorials). All I have to do is finish it successfully. That’s a tall order! I keep running into problems.

I like all colors of candy. I keep the swapped candies in a shoebox. A separate shoebox holds the candies that I cut from my leftover fabrics.

I’m looking forward to a fun year with all of you! 🙂
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM

I am Kathy and this is my second year in the swap. I have been married since Sept. 27, 2017, mom to 4 grown men, and grammy to 1.2. My grandson Hyde was born in Feb. 2017 and will have a sibling in Sept. 2018.

My Granny taught me to sew when I was 7 (41 years ago) and it is my passion. I started quilting about 7 years ago and mostly made rag quilts. I love the challenge in it now and make quilts for senior and just about everyone I know or meet. Everything I make I give away.

I love bright and happy candies.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:46 PM

Some names I recognize here, and others are new to me. Glad to meet you all! :-) It's my first time at this swap, but I've participated in other swaps on QB. I led a Round Robin here and had a lot of fun with it.

I'm in my 60's, married, have 3 sons, each with children. I have 5 granddaughters, and 2 grandsons. I stopped coloring my hair and using mascara when I became a grandmother-- not exactly sure why! :-p I live in a little town, my husband likes to garden in our yard, and we both like computers. I used to sew in my 20's, made about 2 dozen quilts that I gave away as gifts, and taught a quilting class through the public school's adult education program. Then I took up basket weaving, then jewelry making, but in 2013 took up quilting again.

I already have a plan for how I want to use candy squares! Lights and darks would be great, but any fabric is fine by me!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Wow! What a fabulous list of swappers we have! It's very exciting.

I live in Granbury, Texas with my wonderful husband. We celebrated 36 years in December. We have four children. (3 married daughters and a son.) we have 8 grandchildren and a cat.

My mother taught me to sew when I was a girl. I remember her clearly saying, "If you want new clothes make them." I've been quilting for 7ish years. It's become quite an obsession. I am working on the Quilt-along from the 2017 birthday candy swap. I told Barb last year I could only join in 2018 if I actually Used some of the candy I've collected. So I hopped into the quilt along and actually stuck with it! In fact I have my binding and backing picked out!! One more block to go.

This will be my Sixth???:O Birthday Candy swap. I'm addicted. In fact I'll open my Birthday cards Saturday!!!!! The same rule goes for 2018. If I want to join 2019 I Must use some of what I have. (You have no idea!)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-05-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Welcome back Trish b!!!!!

Up to 37
now....and stopping there. We are officially full.

aborning
Anoka Quilter
Armylady2012
Aurora
barbarakibler23
bjsmith57
crispy_frog
Faintly Artistic
Gaijin
givio

Happylab
Hav4boys
IceLeopard
Jaba
Jane Quilter
Janice McC
Jarenie
JENNR8R
JuanitaBeans
kele
lotttieparker
Lstew2212
lum
miquilt
MizMelly
Oldcatlady
Onaemtnest
Patrick's mom
Pattyjo
Pinkflowers
Rosemary Attaway
SheriR
Sunrise450
Texastam
Travelinggramma
trish b
WMUTeach

Red are the newbies....Welcome!

So start your cutting now!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:21 PM

HI ladies, My name is Lisa From Pa, This will be my third time sending Birthday wishes in the shape of 2.5 in blocks. I am married with one child in college and I have two fur babies. 9 YR Old and 1 YR Old German Shepherds. My mother taught me to sew about 20 yrs ago. She likes to sew clothes for my nieces and nephew. I always liked the creative part of sewing which led me to quilting. I love scrappy quilts. So any colors are fine with me. Thank you
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I 'm Jane and this is my 2nd year with this swap. I have found that their are no ugly fabrics when you cut them into 2.5" squares.
I've heard that said, Jane, that if it's still ugly you just haven't cut it up small enough yet. However. . . I just turned up the World's Ugliest Fabric, hiding in one of my boxes. The only way this fabric would not be ugly is if you ran it through the crosscut paper shredder! Only the gods know where it came from, since I *know* I didn't buy it. Grab bag, maybe.

But it's a Hoffman print, so I cut all of it into squares and trashed the bits. I plan to roll the dice for each swapper to see if she escapes being a recipient!