Boom 17 - OPAL

Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Don't know if I can wait till November or Dec for the next Boom. I started hand quilting a Santa wall hanging, have 5 patch pals to bind, a full size to bind, buy border for a quilt for my granddaughter (the one her mom thinks is manly) ..other than that, nothing started or in my mind to work on...I'm ready for the next swap!
ROFL!!!! I've got lots of projects (1 wedding quilt, 1 engagement, several Christmas, all queen or better! Plus donations to Relief Society) and real life keeps intruding. We just changed shifts at work and I have to get used to mids, with a break in the middle somewhere for 3 weeks of training. I honestly love my life, but sometimes all I want to do is play with fabric.

Everyone - thanks for the kind words. I am still learning about quilting, and trying new things. Glad the discussions here have gotten some people to check how the online templates print out. I'll try the enlarging at 106% next time. Thanks for the tip. My poor brain was NOT going to figure that fraction out! Maybe we've saved ourselves some frustration. Jinny does have some pretty blocks, but it is all in how we execute our visions that make a quilt lovely.

All that being said, my fabric is already purchased for the next swap. Maybe I'd better go wash it today!

Cheers,
MJ
Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 AM

PLEASE remember to SHRINK your photos! Some of us, myself included, have trouble with these pages when there are multiple large photos. I don't want to discourage photos but please figure out a way to take smaller photos. It's not the actual size of the picture on the page, but the size of the file. Some of my photos appear large but they are usually about 200 kb or smaller. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 AM

Fine then, Joan. You are my first sign-up for Boom 18. Does that help at all???
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
.....Don't know if I can wait till November or Dec for the next Boom. .I'm ready for the next swap!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 AM

I'm glad this came up. I believe several times we've had people print off templates and jump into their block without checking that key. I don't know why but sometimes it can vary even between copies...I suppose because most of us don't have the highest quality printers, no NASA-type equipment in our homes. In any case, I check every key and every template, learned the hard way. I've got a beautiful pp block from QC that I didn't check and it's off nearly 1/4 inch all the way around. Now I've really got a block I cannot use for it's purpose. It would have been better to be off two inches. One quarter is impossible. It's still hanging on my design wall.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I just looked at the radio windmill pattern I printed off the Beyer site and the key was smaller than it was supposed to be. I had to copy the pattern at 106% for it to come out the proper size. I'm glad you all were talking about this or I would have screwed up some fabric and been frustrated.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:12 PM

YEAH.....Im #1 sign up!!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM

Congratulations Joan, you win the prize. lol
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 PM

All2 pieces, what are you donating to Relief Society? Are y'all working on a quilt?

Molly
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin View Post
All2 pieces, what are you donating to Relief Society? Are y'all working on a quilt?

Molly
Molly,
I make baby quilts for new parents and donate them to the Navy-Marine Corps-Air Force Relief Society. It is a great way for me to try out new techniques. The organization teaches budgeting and other new parent tips to junior enlisted personnel. They give layettes and coupons and such for "Bundles of Joy" program.

Once upon a time I was a full-time counselor at another base. The organizations works with the Red Cross to give loans or grants to help take care of emergencies that crop up, like traveling back home when a parent is seriously ill or car repairs between pay days.

Cheers,
MJ
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 PM

MJ,
That's way cool. My church's women's organization is called The Relief Society, which is what sparked my curiosity. Is your organization based at Pensacola NAS? I worked with the Family Readiness Group for my husband's Army unit in So Cal when he was serving. I love being able to help others by doing something I love.

Happy Quilting,

Molly
Old 10-04-2016, 05:28 AM
lum

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Quilters, I tried the Jinny Beyer pattern, Radio Windmill. One thing I noticed was that my printer did not print the guideline at the required 2 inches. It was off by 3/8ths of an inch. Very hard to adjust. So I used a 4 inch square and went from there. I practiced a bit before I made these for the swap. Then I had trouble uploading the photos. Hope you can see them.

LUM, This one is for your Quilt Of Valor. I like it so much better than my first block for you.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]559437[/ATTACH]
Thank you it looks great.