Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open!  :) >

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

Old 12-14-2016, 05:08 PM

I'm pretty spoiled. My husband took over the cooking 8 years ago. I get up early in the morning, before everyone else and load the dishwasher and do the pots and the rest of the kitchen. I never do anything at night. My son empties some of the dishwashers. It's been pretty good for me. Fantastic healthy food. Time alone in the morning, talk to my 94 year old mom and clean dishes. My husband always comments and thanks me for the nice kitchen. Ceviche tonight for dinner.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM

OH MJP I love Ceviche, not something you get very often in Minnesota. When we go to Mexico on vacation it's my favorite thing to eat.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I'm pretty spoiled. My husband took over the cooking 8 years ago. I get up early in the morning, before everyone else and load the dishwasher and do the pots and the rest of the kitchen. I never do anything at night. My son empties some of the dishwashers. It's been pretty good for me. Fantastic healthy food. Time alone in the morning, talk to my 94 year old mom and clean dishes. My husband always comments and thanks me for the nice kitchen. Ceviche tonight for dinner.
Thats a nice split of jobs. not to bad at all. I'm also an early bird anytime between 3:30 and 5 usually about 4:30. It started as my only time alone when my kids were small and it has stuck. Sunrise is my favorite time of day if I miss it I feel like I am running behind the rest of the day.

I love ceviche, seafood is one of my favorite things. tonight is Italian peasant soup for us.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 PM

What Kassaundra said is correct. The only thing I'd add is that if a swapper want their remnants back, please put a REQUEST in every packet. Most people will comply but a few will forget. But it IS customary to keep remnants. I would actually prefer swappers be allowed to keep them if they can use them. It feels a little unfair if a swapper keeps the remnants from f8s they receive yet they ask for the return of their own fabric.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by jlt37869 View Post
Okay, a few more fabric questions.

If the groups don't fill up, are we still sending out 19 F8 or is the amount adjusted based on the number of participants? I'm fine either way, just wondering how that's handled.

Do people typically request to have their fabric returned to them? Again, not something I'm overly concerned with, only curious what's customary.

I haven't selected my fabric yet (still deciding), but if I opt to send out 2 fabrics, do I send out 2 pieces that total a F8? Or do I send out a F8 of one fabric and then extra of the 2nd fabric?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Yes, that all makes sense and helps. Thank you, Kassaundra & Janice McC!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

I've only done one Boom, but I returned all big pieces... or made an extra "bonus" block with them. I didn't keep anything bigger than the smallest scraps, as I have plenty of fabric already! Who knows that the sender might need those pieces to make another block or two at the end...

I suppose you could put "keep leftovers" or "return leftovers" in your note.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:59 PM

This is not quilting or boom related, but something I need to make a decision on very soon.

Here is the set up. There is a family member you are suppose to be close w/ however are not, you are always expected to be put out in any interaction w/ them, they make very little attempt at a relationship w/ you except when it makes them "look good". Someone that is very close to them is having surgery. You volunteered to be with them at the hospital for it, but told them you needed to know as soon as they knew the date and time of the surgery so you could make arrangements. They know for some time, but don't tell you until 3 days before. As it happens you could go, do you?

I feel it is a passive aggressive action, and attempt to legitimize their "victim" status of having no support. Do I sound off base?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
This is not quilting or boom related, but something I need to make a decision on very soon.

Here is the set up. There is a family member you are suppose to be close w/ however are not, you are always expected to be put out in any interaction w/ them, they make very little attempt at a relationship w/ you except when it makes them "look good". Someone that is very close to them is having surgery. You volunteered to be with them at the hospital for it, but told them you needed to know as soon as they knew the date and time of the surgery so you could make arrangements. They know for some time, but don't tell you until 3 days before. As it happens you could go, do you?

I feel it is a passive aggressive action, and attempt to legitimize their "victim" status of having no support. Do I sound off base?
I try to make these kind of decisions by a "no regrets" thinking. Which will cause me regret? I don't have to live with the consequences of their decisions, but of mine. Someone is not using me if I'm choosing to do what I do. But there are people who have used up their "help me out" or be there for me status. But then again when I make the decision it's about what I'm choosing to do, not what they are requiring me to do. ( did that make any sense) I often do things that others might not, but then again sometimes what those around me think should be a priority just isn't. This is a hard one. How will it impact the one having surgery?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Power Poster

Yes, it's passive aggressive control. How well do you know the person having surgery? And why can't they go by themselves? If you are not close to the person having the surgery, I'd bow out. Only because I wouldn't want to spend the day at the hospital with someone who enjoys 'playing' me and pushing my buttons.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post

GramE pretty well nailed it. but I'll add my 2 cents worth anyway, I am not one to do things because of someone else's idea of responsibility or duty. I do them because I want to not out of guilt or sense of duty.

What will make you feel worse? going and dealing with that possible drama or not going and dealing with your own internal dialog? I do not think you are off base at all.