Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open!  :) >

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

Old 12-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Before we freak out about broadcloth, let's remember it is the fabric she wants to SEND, for her own quilt... not use in our blocks. It should be fine! I'd love to get a shot at designing a block for that funny fabric. All the skeletons are smiling! They must be very happy to be dead.
I know that fabric is awesome.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I'm dithering on what fabric I want to send... I have some star wars fabric I thought would be great to send for a donation quilt for a young man (unless my son in law sees it first!). I also ordered some really cute surprise fabric for another masculine quilt.

BUT THEN... I have these weird FQs that I won for my Row by Row quilt. The fabric is very 80's floral looking and not to my taste at all. I'm afraid, by the condition of the tag on the FQ bundle, that the shop passed off their dregs to me. It's not current fabric. So I was thinking of maybe sending all the different FQs out that are in that bundle and making a quilt from a coordinated fabric line. Maybe you ladies can make it pretty... I know you can.

So... decisions, decisions.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Important. Everyone read please.

This is firm: One hundred percent cotton ONLY.

Broadcloths can be made from multiple materials including cotton, cotton/poly, poly, wool, silk...you get the idea. The only fiber we use here is cotton.

This topic has caused some consternation because there is a perception among some boomers that broadcloth can be thin and cheap, and allowing it in opens the door to other low quality fabrics. And that's a valid concern. While some broadcloths are flimsy they can also be heavier and better quality. According to what I read today, both Kona cotton and Bella ARE cotton broadcloths. Very few of you would probably object to Kona being used in the boom but most of us will object if what we receive in our blocks is lightweight, whether it is broadcloth or not. Therefore, while I haven't mentioned this in recent booms, you are expected to use quality fabrics. I'm not talking about $20 a yard quilting fabric, but I would hope you would not use a flimsy material you find and buy simply because it's on sale for pennies a yard. If the fabric you use is decent quality, no problem. But if it's lightweight enough to see through and ready to unravel, it's not the choice for use in blocks you make for others. What you make for yourself is up to you, but I encourage you to use quality materials in this boom.

That at being the case, I feel 100 percent cotton broadcloth with a respectable hand, weight and density should be an acceptable fabric for the swap. If you are pulling from your stash to use in blocks for others and do not know the fiber content of your fabric, don't use it for the purposes of this swap. Unless I hear something compelling to contradict the info I've just posted, this is the final word on this subject.

Moving on.

Originally Posted by jlt37869 View Post
The "broadcloth" at my Hobby Lobby is NOT 100% cotton, but rather a blend 65% poly/35% cotton. It's the same stuff as on their website:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sew...Fabric/p/45284

I thought the boom was 100% cotton, correct? If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Janice McC; 12-10-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Here's a goof on my part. I inadvertently dropped from the description of the swap that the materials to be used should be 100 percent cotton. It should be in there and it will be again. My apologies for not noticing that omission.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

What do you think? These are my ugly FQs... I think they could be pretty as a sampler quilt. The smaller pieces on top of the bigger pieces would be a coordinate that I would send along too. Anyone feel inspired by these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc03283-small-.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563448[/ATTACH]Here is the Day of The Dead fabric. Jlt37869. I think you'll be very happy with it. Feels very good much better than kona. Not broadcloth. 100% cotton. All2pieces. I added 3" extra to each piece. SSewbizgirl it still has smiling (and dancing)skeletons. I'm going to have fun with this boom.
Attached Thumbnails img_0403.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

mjp, it looks great!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Send them out Sewbizgirl. Maybe we can turn them into modern squares.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
What do you think? These are my ugly FQs... I think they could be pretty as a sampler quilt. The smaller pieces on top of the bigger pieces would be a coordinate that I would send along too. Anyone feel inspired by these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563444[/ATTACH]
My oh my oh my, well Ms Bonnie Hunter says if your fabric is ugly you just haven't cut it small enough yet! lol I do see some fussy cut opportunities though!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563448[/ATTACH]Here is the Day of The Dead fabric. Jlt37869. I think you'll be very happy with it. Feels very good much better than kona. Not broadcloth. 100% cotton. All2pieces. I added 3" extra to each piece. SSewbizgirl it still has smiling (and dancing)skeletons. I'm going to have fun with this boom.
How fun is that I've been researching day of the dead ideas. I've come up w/ a few possibilities, then of course there is always fussy cutting, but I'd have to have it in my hands before deciding on fussy cutting.