Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Thanks Bonnie. I did square the Y/G to 6.5. I’m thinking I use to much of a scant 1/4” (probably an 1/8”) and that made my block bigger. I should have been more careful. The blue fabric is the boom fabric. Maybe I can pick out and re do the Y and G. I’ll check that out. Thanks
Old 01-30-2018, 06:02 AM

TG, great pineapple block, love your colors
Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 AM

I wanted to share this... my husband got home last night and shared this with me. He designed a quilt square he thought I would like. I thought it was so sweet so now I need to make it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588073[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jeffs-designed-quilt-square.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:24 AM

If my husband drew out and designed a quilt block for me, I would be in the back yard looking for "the pod"!!!! (don't know if you are old enough for the reference) Can't wait to see it.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM

I can relate Kass but first I probably would faint with shock
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Dhenson, what Sewbizgirl said plus this is where your acrylic square is your best friend. Measure after every single seam in the beginning. Once you sew the yellow and green together, measure it. Is it the correct size? If you’ve cut your blue piece exactly correct, the two pieces, the blue and your new yellow and green triangle should be the same size. Once joined, they’re 6 1/2 inches. If that quadrant is too small or too large, you only have two possible culprits. Wrong size pieces or wrong sized seam. Don't move on to the next quadrant until your first is correct. By the time you get to the last one, you’ll have it completely figured out and will know where to look for trouble. Cutting down only works on certain blocks. Those with points on the outside cannot be cut down without loss of the points There’s a learning curve with the 1/4 inch seam so measure frequently to catch trouble while it’s little and easy to fix.

Love your fabric choices! You really are doing very well. It’s a process!
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That's a pretty block, D.... Can you pick out the blue triangles and start over with the other colors? If you squared up each of those quarter sections to 6.5", I think you would have been fine. The trouble with making bigger and then trimming is losing points at the outer edges. In that case it may be better to take in the seams than to trim. Been there, done that....
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM

I have to say it really shocked me. He always wants to see the blocks I make and he has been asking me to teach him to sew. Maybe it is time. I need to hook him up EQ8, I bet he could come up with some neat blocks.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 AM

Thank you Sewbiz & Janice for your help and expertise. I definitely appreciate it. I will be re-working that block.

Have4boys: You’ve got a keeper!! How sweet that your husband takes such an interest in your quilting.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
If my husband drew out and designed a quilt block for me, I would be in the back yard looking for "the pod"!!!! (don't know if you are old enough for the reference) Can't wait to see it.
I know me too

Thats awesome 4 boys
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Default your friendly side swapper

Hi ladies I just caught up with all the blocks being shared. So many beauties I'm truly enjoying keeping tabs on you guys and seeing all the hard work and wonderful blocks being made.

Libster here are my blocks for you first is what I call boxed star and I swear that is a c.o.c. it's on the light side but it is creams.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588080[/ATTACH]

This next one I call checkered past this is not what I started with but it's what it became when seam matching was not happening.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588081[/ATTACH]

Finally a bonus block of sorts that I call it almost worked [ATTACH=CONFIG]588082[/ATTACH]
You will notice that there a a couple of strips of fabric hanging next to it well that because somehow I got something on the sides of the block that could not be removed It had to be cut away. I was going to add the darker cream border but thought that may be too scrappy for your vision. I didn't know if adding same cream would look the best and god knows I don't have any of your focus fabric left to make a border. So I thought I would send you options just in case you want to use this one too.
Attached Thumbnails libster-boxed-star-.jpg   libster-checkered-past-.jpg   libster-almost-worked-.jpg