Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group

Quote Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
    SusiSews, how darn lucky to live by Shipsewana. I was there last year for a retreat. Think we have been to Shipsey 4 times. They have the best peach pie in the whole world. Does that mean you eat noodles with almost every meal?

I have requested to keep the block looking pastel so no brown that is in the tree trunks, minimal white for the background if you need it. Other then that choose any of the colors in the fabric except the green, that will be my lattice
    In a perfect world noodles would be included with every meal! Unfortunately hubby is more of a potato guy.

I have different shades of pink (would a coral color be too bright?) and some soft peachy colors too. I'll see what works best when I see it in person.

ETA: next time you are in the area, let me know!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    My hubby is a huge Star Trek fan, he almost danced with glee when we watched the Picard trailer yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    Piccard is my son's favorite too. He loved to watch the series on DVD and when he was a toddler I caught him playing outside with the captain and Worf...it was adorable. We are all looking forward to the next series.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Picard trailer? Say what? Oh, my gosh. Clearly I’m not in the loop on critical matters... Capt Picard!
    Gallery: Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz01BA4LKSo
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
    Picard trailer? Say what? Oh, my gosh. Clearly I’m not in the loop on critical matters... Capt Picard!
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Hello Night Owls. I started sewing through 4-H when I was in the fifth grade. Did my first baby quilts when my friends started having babies in the 70's. Those were mostly tied rather than quilted. My first one was made of very bright flannels and I followed the directions in a magazine. It was really beautiful. Unfortunately, you can't us 1/4 inch seams with flannel. Luckily my husband took it to a laundromat and washed it before I gave it away. It completely disintegrated! He felt so bad, but I was glad it happened then instead of later. I took a class and made a king-size log cabin quilt which we still use after 40 years. Didn't sew for many years because of work and raising 2 kids (one boy and one girl) Neither of them has married and I'm not expecting grandchildren any time soon. I started quilting again about 10 years ago.

Here is the fabric I am sending. Eleven of you will get the Indian basket fabric and the rest will get odds and ends to make blocks to finish up previous booms. So, if you have been in the booms for awhile, you might get a repeat fabric.

Name:  23 boom fabrics.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  98.1 KB
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

I've received 8 packages of F8s already. Woo hoo! I haven't had a chance to open them yet but I've contacted everyone and all packages were undamaged.

Suzisew, omgosh, you had me roflol about the elephant trunk! Thank you for sharing that one. I've never managed to sew my finger but only last month I came the closest to it. The needle just grazed my finger without breaking the skin. A happy oops since it was a painless reminder to be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    Talk about a real learning moment! I've managed to avoid sewing my fingers, I think the funniest time was when I was 11 or 12ish, I wasa cousin. I was sewing the side and arm sleeves but I got them mixed up. When I tried it on it looked like I had a trunk coming out of my back and my chest! Live and learn right?!
    Wow! Engage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    It's too bad, Bibliostone, about the flannel quilt but like you, I'd be glad it fell apart first before giving it away. Great learning experience. I recall a couple of your fabrics for this round.
    Quote Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
    Hello Night Owls. I started sewing through 4-H when I was in the fifth grade. Did my first baby quilts when my friends started having babies in the 70's. Those were mostly tied rather than quilted. My first one was made of very bright flannels and I followed the directions in a magazine. It was really beautiful. Unfortunately, you can't us 1/4 inch seams with flannel. Luckily my husband took it to a laundromat and washed it before I gave it away. It completely disintegrated! He felt so bad, but I was glad it happened then instead of later. I took a class and made a king-size log cabin quilt which we still use after 40 years. Didn't sew for many years because of work and raising 2 kids (one boy and one girl) Neither of them has married and I'm not expecting grandchildren any time soon. I started quilting again about 10 years ago.

Here is the fabric I am sending. Eleven of you will get the Indian basket fabric and the rest will get odds and ends to make blocks to finish up previous booms. So, if you have been in the booms for awhile, you might get a repeat fabric.
    Have a lovely day everyone. It's almost the weekend!

My package went out today and will be there tomorrow

Sorry all, I didn’t disappear, just dealing with some health issues. Feeling much better and excited to get started. My fabric got washed the day it arrived, and now to finish preparing it.

Janice, in answer to your question, I will be sending only the KF for the swap. The cats was just to show my “just for me” purchase and to see if I figured out the posting thing.

Jaba, I love that print!

Tommorrow I find out if I can walk and drive, fingers crossed.

Good Morning Owls!! My fabric is in the washing machine right now and I hope to get it cut, pictures taken, and in the mail by tomorrow.

I'm one of the four newbies to the Boom. (I'm assuming it's name came from the word Boomerang? Since the fabric comes back to you. Or is it cause, BOOM, you have all the blocks for a quilt!) I have two daughters, one in grad school the other in college. I took a sewing class when the youngest was in preschool. I made my girls matching dresses which they had the nerve to outgrow! That's when I decided my sewing would be spent on items which lasted longer than one season. I was then able to make a quilt a year for a new niece or nephew. I did a mystery class and made a cool Halloween wall hanging. When my girls started graduating from High School I became the queen of Tee Shirt quilts. And that was the time when I realized I had been quilting for over 10 years, didn't really know as much as I felt I should, and had hardly anything made for myself! So I joined these boards, had more time to do "me" stuff with the girls at college, upgraded the sewing machine, and started having fun! I now have in my house several lap quilts, a twin quilt, and a queen size quilt. In addition I've been able to make quite a few gifts as well. I've done a few swaps here - Summer Blocks, twice I did the RWB swap, 9-patch, and I am part of the Birthday swap. GramE and I were chatting about a pattern and she strongly suggested I do a Boom. I am currently finishing a 3 foot square wall hanging for my daughter in college - she wanted her dorm's logo on it, so I've been having fun with applique!

I'm rather jealous of Libster, SuziSew, Vickim, PamOry, and mjpEncinitas for learning and sewing with their family. My mom is very modern and my quilting confuses her -- she tries to be complementary but just looks confused. When she saw my queen size 9-patch quilt her main comment was "wow, that's a lot of tiny fabric"

Kassaundra - my family is huge Dr Who fans. We went to Chicago Tardis two years in a row when the girls were in high school. My house is filled with sonic screwdrivers, Tardises (how do you make Tardis plural?), fezes, scarves, bow ties, and a dalek costume! I will admit to knowing a little bit, but I have the least knowledge in my family. Later I will try and remember to take a picture of my 9-Patch quilt...one of the blocks is Dr Who fabric!

And SuziSew - we might have been separated at birth! I am also an accountant and live only an hour 15 minutes away from Shipshewana and get there more times than my pocketbook says I should! This year was my first year at the Quilt festival and I did the School House classes.

I am also a huge Notre Dame fan and get very excited for football and women's basketball. Both my daughters were/are in the Marching Band so the fall is a fun season for us!

Thanks all for letting me join your group -- I'm so happy we have Hero Host Janice to guide us!

Blog Entries
    Hi Janice,

I'm pretty sure I mailed all my info to you. I'm looking forward to being in the night owls and will get my fat eights mailed to you soon. Marija

Hello Owls,

I'm Bonnie. I am another exercise instructor, teaching yoga, water aerobics and Senior (Silver Sneakers) classes. Like MJP, I am very interested in helping senior adults live their best lives and be healthy.

I started sewing as a child. Mom had an old Kenmore machine (that I showed earlier). Dad bought it for her and made slipcovers for their sofa and chairs. Mom herself only sewed one pair of pajamas for my older sister and decided sewing was not for her. I came along and opened up the sewing cabinet ten years later, and loved using the machine. I actually learned to sew by going through the Kenmore's manual, trying out everything the machine could do. By age 12 I was making my little sister's dresses for kindergarten.

I always said sewing was my only marketable skill!

I've done clothing, costuming for the ballet, and alterations for wedding gowns. Then I found quilting and the rest is history.

I started Boom swapping (yes, it's short for boomerang) at about Boom 17, I believe. It's easy to get addicted to making just one block with other people's fabric! Have fun!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

While we are waiting for our fabrics, here is an update on my beautiful little granddaughters.

This is Ivy in the little summer sweater I knit for her.
    Name:  IMG_5413.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  125.6 KB

And here is Millie. Haven't made her sweater yet.
    Name:  IMG_5417.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  43.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 07-25-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Oh, my goodness, biz! Your Ivy and Millie are sooooo precious! Ivy's sweater fits her perfectly! What a sight to see. And your smile from ear to ear as you're holding Millie is priceless!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-26-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks, Zo! I love those two to the moon and back.

Sewbiz- I have to agree, Ivy's sweater does fit her perfectly. Your babies are beautiful! What fun you're going to have with two granddaughters to play with.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

I’m one of the newbies this round. I started sewing Barbie clothes when I was 6, made a prom dress that I finished 3 hours before the dance. My first quilt was a broken star in solid colors, hand pieced that I started my first year in the college dorm, 1987, it is still far from finished. I made several quilts for family in the early 2000, but stopped when I moved to a small place and got sick, then had a toddler. My son just graduated HS this year and my daughter just turned 12. I’ve been back quilting for about 5 years. I have discovered and love paper piecing, perfect points. I use almost exclusively batiks in vibrant colors. My new passion is micro quilts. 2 years ago when my quilt was 3rd my son said “they just don’t get you. They only like old lady flowers and squares and rectangles “. Be still my heart.

Smglover207 - your son's comment is the sweetest thing ever -- you can tell he gets you!

Sewbiz, Millie and Ivy are so darn precious and I’m amazed at the darling little sweater. You have quite the talent

SMglover, love your son’s comment. He hit the bullseye.

Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day here. Have been home for several days, first time in 3 weeks. Cleaning the house right, heck no did some sewing and worked in my front flower garden.

My oldest dd is on her way to Minnesota, she stays the month of August avoiding the Texas heat and reuniting with family. She is fortunate to have the opportunity to work at one of the company’s satellite offices only 10 minutes away from us. Unfortunately I stay at lake most of August so don’t see a lot of her

Hooray for some cooler weather! This is the 4th day in a row that is cool and beautiful. More like late Sept. than July. What a gift!

smglover, that son of yours is priceless! Great comment and observation.

My package of fabrics is going out today... sent Janice my tracking #.

My name is Karen. I've been retired for 5 years. I have one son, a 23 year old granddaughter and a 13 year old grandson. I lived in Florida for 17 years to take care of my parents. Now that they are gone, I moved to Ohio last year to be close to family. I've been sewing since high school. I made soft sculptured cloth dolls for many years until I started quilting about 7 years ago. My first boom was #19. I missed #20 due to moving but caught back up after that. I've been active in the QB since 2013 and hosted the pincushion swap for about 2 years. I volunteer at the local Hospice thrift store on Tuesday afternoons and active in my church. I'm making a lap quilt for an auction at the church in October. I enjoy reading and usually quilt during the day and read in the evening. I also love doing other crafts. I got the crafting bug from my mom although she was not a sewer. I really love the boom swaps and all the boom sisters. Everyone is like family. I especially want to thank our fearless leader who puts up with all of our different personalities and does an excellent job hosting this swap!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Fabric washed and ready for future booms
    Name:  3ADDB137-8D18-470E-A5C1-291ADF58173B.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  1.22 MB
    Name:  8CAC8B4D-2189-4FFC-A994-0972A6AAAEB5.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  1.49 MB

Wowsier, sorry Janice don’T know why that downloaded so large

Name:  11A32AE4-5282-4120-A5F9-3EAA3885C1F2.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  1A8416B7-7C00-4FF0-BC27-8E3BA002DA94.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  63.0 KBName:  A8004F0C-2F82-4413-BD05-126F636FE328.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  208.2 KBName:  0360B4CD-05C0-4482-8ADB-90530F6A042B.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  183.2 KB

One last one, GramE these are from Rossville

Name:  5E7491F2-F850-48EC-BEAE-7C34816C5544.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  177.1 KB
    So you can imagine how pretty my clothesline was

Thank you to everyone who's written a bio. It's nice to know more about our newbies and to be reminded about our repeat Boomers.

Wow, Terriamn, those are some gorgeous fabrics!

Another gorgeous day here. Can hardly believe it was 64 when i awoke. A/C is off for the second day in a row.

I now have 11 packages in and three more scheduled for a Monday arrival. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
    Fabric washed and ready for future booms
    Name:  3ADDB137-8D18-470E-A5C1-291ADF58173B.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  1.22 MB
    Name:  8CAC8B4D-2189-4FFC-A994-0972A6AAAEB5.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  1.49 MB

Terri, these two are fan-tab-u-lous !!! Love them both.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast