Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group >

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM

I do the monthly one have been real pleased with it I do extra exchanges on there also
I also do the doll quilt exchange and quilting in the new year and the secret pal all really good
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Havplenty. I usually post on here letting people know that I got their blocks. I'm sorry. I did receive your block and we loved it. :)

Originally Posted by Havplenty
linda this is my first time doing this swap also and yes the postage is expensive. i havent received half of my blocks either nor have i heard from everyone who i mailed blocks to if they have received them. i expected that i would receive many nearer the deadline so i am okay with that. my goal is to have all mailed by wednesday this week.

there is the monthly quilting bee that you do a direct exchange with each other. i have enjoyed the opportunity this swap gave me to try 30+ different patterns for blocks. i too am considering if i will do this swap again for several reasons including the postage expense.

Originally Posted by fromzstore
this is the first time i have done a swap like this and i have not received about half of the finished blocks is this usually the case if so i wont be doing another besides the time it takes to do a swap like this it is very expensive to mail i am also in another swap that does not seem to be going to happen and i have 24 blocks i sent in that one i may just swap with individuals and forget about the organized ones hate to do it because i enjoy getting to try new ideas has anyone run into this before

Linda
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM

My postage cost hasn't been so bad. I fold mine, iron it and put it in saran wrap taking all the air out of it. Makes it flat and I can send it with one stamp.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Ok, My person that I was wondering who the block belonged to is Fromzstore. I never received the F8 so I just made up a block. I hope you like it. ;) SO, I have sent to/have sent out Monday or Tuesday 29 and have 5 more I'm working on. The only other person that I haven't gotten a F8 from is Lillie. So, that should conclude me. Then I can wait on getting my other blocks-should be 10 and I'll go through and elminate who's left on that list and post to check my records.

:)

I have mailed out/mailing out to:

RoseySue
PokerDiva
Jennifer22206
Qbee
KathyN
JudyVa
KPatrick
Brenda5
MarerialGrl
Fromzstore
MFQS
Janecat
KReinhart
SelfHunter
Bolin
Navarree
OkDarla
HeyJami
Moonrise
PaintMeJudy
CraftPhanatic
NannaKathy55
LauraEllen
Monanablu
Janetlmt
NurseBonnie
Brenda21
DonnaD
MsGrace

Working on the other 5 (CyndiH, Quilting Gran, Carsey, Havplenty & Pattis)
Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you for letting us know, Sandy and for the common courtesy to tell us.

Lilli is totally ignoring any and all communications, and now I see she never sent out Boom 4, but still is doing boom 5?

And Patti -- I have to say: I completely agree with your comments.

Originally Posted by materialgrl
My blocks are all ready to be mailed Monday,please let know if you do not receive them and I will make you an other block.I just got some more batteries to post the pictures.Hopefully today.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy

Lilli is totally ignoring any and all communications, and now I see she never sent out Boom 4, but still is doing boom 5?
Originally Posted by materialgrl
My blocks are all ready to be mailed Monday,please let know if you do not receive them and I will make you an other block.I just got some more batteries to post the pictures.Hopefully today.
I received both F8 and grownup from Lillie in Boom 4, but neither in Boom 5.

I would love to have my fabric back, too...

I'm resigned to the fact that there are flakes in every swap. I don't like it; I don't understand it; but I accept that it's a fact. What I really don't like, however, is the litany of excuses from those who choose to respond. But I can't do anything about that, either. Except vent now and then. So I'm venting. And I'll continue to do Boomerangs, since I love the challenge of making blocks from the fabrics I'm sent. I think I like that even more than receiving the blocks made with my fabric!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM

All,
I am so disheartened by these comments...I quote from the initial guidelines of the swap:

Please, NO public complaints or criticisms of other swappers, items received, or other type for any reason. ALL complaints must be addressed by Private Message (pm) to me. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE!!!!!

This does not appear to be what is happening here...I understand disappointment, but also am saddened to be chastised for missing a deadline that has not yet passed...I thought it was Sept. 4...and also I believe that if you cannot say something nice it is best to say nothing at all, especially if it is negative...I do not consider myself a skilled quilter but have done my best....many people have reasons why the quality of their work is not what may have been expected...I recall my grandmother who crocheted all her life and family members would argue about who would get what she was making...but as she aged, the quality deteriorated but she did not give up her art and the joy it brought to her...I believe we have many new quilters on the board as well as aged members who are all sharing the art and joy of quilting but may not have the skill and ability of the masters on this board...perhaps for future swaps, it should be clearly stated whether only a certain skill level of quilter should participate or if it is truly open to everyone. I have enjoyed this swap and felt challenged by many of the fabrics to find the right coordinating fabrics and blocks to use, but also looked upon it as a way to learn from others based on what I have received....some are wonderful and much better than mine, and others are not....so it is encouraging for me from both perspectives. I also expected that of the 35 blocks expected that all would not be returned as we all know that LIFE HAPPENS and can't be helped...while in other cases, some of the blocks just would not fit with the whole quilt project that will be my end product...so I was prepared for some loss of return.....

Anyway, I read many of the board articles and do not comment very often but just could not let this go as it really upset me because this is a very welcoming and friendly neighborhood and I do not want to see it disrupted...and I apologize for my lengthy reply and if I have misinterpreted the previous comments from the quoted board members, but just felt the need to express my opinion...I have learned so much from everyone on this board and would like to see it continue as a friendly, open, encouraging space for everyone.

I am working to complete and return all my finished blocks by the Sept 4. deadline and have already received many from the other members of this swap and if I am missing a few, so be it...life will go on and it will afford me the opportunity for more creativity to fill in my planned finished product as needed. I guess my glass is always half full....:)

Originally Posted by pattis47
Ladies,
Boom 4 was the 1st swap like this that I did. I was just a little disappointed when I didnt receive all the F8's or finished blocks that should have been returned. The sad part is 2 of the same people are not standing by their committment again this swap. I sent a PM to April and she assured me they will not be allowed to participate in future swaps. The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks. If I remember correctly we had 4 months to complete this swap. That means if you did 3 blocks each week you would be able to meet the deadline. I am very aware that the swap is open to all skill levels. I would rather have a wonderfully completed 9 patch than a poorly completed mariners star. I also realize that we were all beginners at some point. But rest assured, some of the blocks that were the worst, were NOT from beginners, they were from swappers who have been sewing for along time. They just didn't look at their finished product carefully or they just didn't care.

It all starts with the cutting. If you are not accurate, you will never get a good block. If you cut it wrong, put it in your scrap pile and cut another one. Don't sew a 1/2" strip to it to make it fit and think I won't notice. If you cut on the bias, your square will probably not be square unless you are very experienced and know how to work w/bias cuts. When it is cut on the bias it stretches and you get odd measurements. And equally as important is the final pressing, and please note I didn't say ironing, because there is a difference. If you iron a perfectly square block, you can iron it out of shape by stretching it.

I just spent 15 hours ripping and resewing blocks from Boom 4 and 2 other swaps so I can finish the quilt tops and put them on the LA to quilt. Maybe I take pride in what I do, but if I am going to sign my name to a quilt, I want it to be right.

If you are reading this and you think it applies to you, take it as an eye-opener and look at your finished project. Be proud to sign your name and be sure your work is good. If it doesn't apply to you because you already do the things necessary to get a good block, THANK YOU and spread the news and share your knowledge on how to make the points "not disappear", or how to butt the seams together to make good intersections. As quilters we have a responsibility to help others continue this wonderful gift from the past.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
linda this is my first time doing this swap also and yes the postage is expensive. i havent received half of my blocks either nor have i heard from everyone who i mailed blocks to if they have received them. i expected that i would receive many nearer the deadline so i am okay with that. my goal is to have all mailed by wednesday this week.

there is the monthly quilting bee that you do a direct exchange with each other. i have enjoyed the opportunity this swap gave me to try 30+ different patterns for blocks. i too am considering if i will do this swap again for several reasons including the postage expense.

Originally Posted by fromzstore
this is the first time i have done a swap like this and i have not received about half of the finished blocks is this usually the case if so i wont be doing another besides the time it takes to do a swap like this it is very expensive to mail i am also in another swap that does not seem to be going to happen and i have 24 blocks i sent in that one i may just swap with individuals and forget about the organized ones hate to do it because i enjoy getting to try new ideas has anyone run into this before

Linda
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM

here our my most recent blocks,can't wait till they are all together,they are so pretty,thanks Judy VA for the lovely pattern,can't wait to try it.

kathryn n.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248284[/ATTACH]

carsey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248285[/ATTACH]

havplenty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248286[/ATTACH]

judy va
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248287[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248278.jpe   attachment-248279.jpe   attachment-248280.jpe   attachment-248281.jpe  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm a new quilter and I sincerely did my best on every single block I sent out. A few were extra challenging. Almost every single block required some sort of re-sew. There are a few exchangers that received 2 blocks from me because I completely remade them.

I looked at the picture of your block after this note was posted - horrified that I might have sent you a block before my quilter's eyesight sharpened enough to catch any errors (I'll bet there will be a time in the future where I will see even more errors).

I made you a St Louis Star 2. I was proud of it. It's very possible that tiny bits of paper were left in the back of it since I have now learned to really get every piece out. And, I learned to use smaller stitches with my microtex needle to keep the stitches nice and tight even after removing the paper. It's possible that I didn't know this when I did your block.

I sewed it and showed my children (ages 7 & 9) and my husband. They were complimentary. I too like the old fashioned calico.

Anyway, just wanted to apologize and let you know that I really did try my best. Next time I do that block I'll even do a better job at fussy cutting so the floral shows up better.

I'm also learning about contrast (which I had zero concept of before last week) - but I'm happy to see that the contrast for your block is good. Complete accident! ;-) I still am trying to wrap my head around that whole concept.

I'm also wondering if I messed up my block to you with my pressing. Honestly, I have no idea. I think I had a hard time with the center.

You know that block that shows here in my profile? One of the points is cut off (I'm noticing now that I'm scrutinizing my earlier blocks). And it was for a boom partner. But I didn't even know about that flaw when I lovingly made it and sent it. :-)

I tried my best, acknowledged every block & F8, and completed them on time to the best of my ability.

I'm just anxious to get my grownups back so I can piece my quilt! But now I'm thinking of doing the QAYG with these and in that case I can start now and not worry about what comes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Take care, hope I didn't disappoint you with my exchange.

Ladies,
The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks.
It all starts with the cutting. If you are not accurate, you will never get a good block. If you cut it wrong, put it in your scrap pile and cut another one. Don't sew a 1/2" strip to it to make it fit and think I won't notice. If you cut on the bias, your square will probably not be square unless you are very experienced and know how to work w/bias cuts. When it is cut on the bias it stretches and you get odd measurements. And equally as important is the final pressing, and please note I didn't say ironing, because there is a difference. If you iron a perfectly square block, you can iron it out of shape by stretching it.
St Louis Star 2 for patti47 made by heyjami
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248298[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248292.jpe  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by heyjami
I'm a new quilter and I sincerely did my best on every single block I sent out. A few were extra challenging. Almost every single block required some sort of re-sew. There are a few exchangers that received 2 blocks from me because I completely remade them.

I looked at the picture of your block after this note was posted - horrified that I might have sent you a block before my quilter's eyesight sharpened enough to catch any errors (I'll bet there will be a time in the future where I will see even more errors).

I made you a St Louis Star 2. I was proud of it. It's very possible that tiny bits of paper were left in the back of it since I have now learned to really get every piece out. And, I learned to use smaller stitches with

my microtex needle to keep the stitches nice and tight even after

removing the paper. It's possible that I didn't know this when I did your block.

I sewed it and showed my children (ages 7 & 9) and my husband. They were complimentary. I too like the old fashioned calico.

Anyway, just wanted to apologize and let you know that I really did try my best. Next time I do that block I'll even do a better job at fussy cutting so the floral shows up better.

I'm also learning about contrast (which I had zero concept of before last week) - but I'm happy to see that the contrast for your block is good. Complete accident! ;-) I still am trying to wrap my head around that whole concept.

I'm also wondering if I messed up my block to you with my pressing. Honestly, I have no idea. I think I had a hard time with the center.

You know that block that shows here in my profile? One of the points is cut off (I'm noticing now that I'm scrutinizing my earlier blocks). And it was for a boom partner. But I didn't even know about that flaw when I lovingly made it and sent it. :-)

I tried my best, acknowledged every block & F8, and completed them on time to the best of my ability.

I'm just anxious to get my grownups back so I can piece my quilt! But now I'm thinking of doing the QAYG with these and in that case I can start now and not worry about what comes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Take care, hope I didn't disappoint you with my exchange.

Ladies,
The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks.
very nice i would be very happy to receive this block i think it is beautiful