Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group >

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 PM

heyjami,
The block you made was wonderful. Your points were spot on and you left 1/4" all around the outside so there was room to join the block and not lose your wonderful points. You should be very proud of your work.
I am sure you took extra time to do this block because it is not an easy one to do. Again, be very PROUD of your work. If you are new at this, you will be a FANTASTIC quilter.
Remember, each of us was new at one time and we all learn at different paces. You really jumped out of the starting gate and have absolutely nothing to worry about. YOUR WORK IS GREAT!!!

Originally Posted by heyjami
I'm a new quilter and I sincerely did my best on every single block I sent out. A few were extra challenging. Almost every single block required some sort of re-sew. There are a few exchangers that received 2 blocks from me because I completely remade them.

I looked at the picture of your block after this note was posted - horrified that I might have sent you a block before my quilter's eyesight sharpened enough to catch any errors (I'll bet there will be a time in the future where I will see even more errors).

I made you a St Louis Star 2. I was proud of it. It's very possible that tiny bits of paper were left in the back of it since I have now learned to really get every piece out. And, I learned to use smaller stitches with my microtex needle to keep the stitches nice and tight even after removing the paper. It's possible that I didn't know this when I did your block.

I sewed it and showed my children (ages 7 & 9) and my husband. They were complimentary. I too like the old fashioned calico.

Anyway, just wanted to apologize and let you know that I really did try my best. Next time I do that block I'll even do a better job at fussy cutting so the floral shows up better.

I'm also learning about contrast (which I had zero concept of before last week) - but I'm happy to see that the contrast for your block is good. Complete accident! ;-) I still am trying to wrap my head around that whole concept.

I'm also wondering if I messed up my block to you with my pressing. Honestly, I have no idea. I think I had a hard time with the center.

You know that block that shows here in my profile? One of the points is cut off (I'm noticing now that I'm scrutinizing my earlier blocks). And it was for a boom partner. But I didn't even know about that flaw when I lovingly made it and sent it. :-)

I tried my best, acknowledged every block & F8, and completed them on time to the best of my ability.

I'm just anxious to get my grownups back so I can piece my quilt! But now I'm thinking of doing the QAYG with these and in that case I can start now and not worry about what comes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Take care, hope I didn't disappoint you with my exchange.

Originally Posted by pattis47
Ladies,
The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks.
It all starts with the cutting. If you are not accurate, you will never get a good block. If you cut it wrong, put it in your scrap pile and cut another one. Don't sew a 1/2" strip to it to make it fit and think I won't notice. If you cut on the bias, your square will probably not be square unless you are very experienced and know how to work w/bias cuts. When it is cut on the bias it stretches and you get odd measurements. And equally as important is the final pressing, and please note I didn't say ironing, because there is a difference. If you iron a perfectly square block, you can iron it out of shape by stretching it.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone I love my blocks and hope you are happy with what I will be mailing you,I am not a fancy quilter,But i love to sew and try and do my best for each of you.Most of mine are the same pattern,because I think I kinda mastered coxeys camp from quilters cache.You can look at it and let me know if not I can return a fat 8 or the cost of your fat 8
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Jami,

My block that you sent to me was wonderful. I loved it! I would also have been happy with the block you sent too Pattis. Please don't think your blocks are bad.

This is my first boomerang swap too. Sadly it will be my last. I don't like the stress of it. April has been a great person as the leader of the swap but others make it no fun at all. I still consider myself new to this. Life does get in the way sometimes unexpectedly. The deadline is not up and some of us are working very hard to get them done. Early on there were some that were in such a hurry to get their blocks. If the deadline is Sept. 4 then we have until that time is the way I look at it.

I applogize if the blocks that anyone has gotten from me are less than perfect. I did try and make a nice block, make sure the stitches were tight and it was the way it should be. Were my corners off some? Probably....I've ripped out and redone some of them. I have tried to match up fabric as well as possible. We only have Wal-Mart (which I don't buy fabric from very often because of the quality not being as nice as the shop) then a small local shop. I don't get to travel to other cities for other shops very often. The nearest ones are over an hour away. Some have been difficult to match up with other fabrics.

I appreciate all of my blocks that I have received from you all. Thank you. I can't wait to put them all together for our 13 year old son. We have enjoyed checking the mail and getting a surprise each time one has arrived. Thank you to each of you that has made it special. April Thank you for letting me join in. Hugs!! :)
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Blocks going out tomorrow to bolin0909, fromzstore and Ms Grace.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by materialgrl
Thanks everyone I love my blocks and hope you are happy with what I will be mailing you,I am not a fancy quilter,But i love to sew and try and do my best for each of you.Most of mine are the same pattern,because I think I kinda mastered coxeys camp from quilters cache.You can look at it and let me know if not I can return a fat 8 or the cost of your fat 8
I am sure your blocks are going to be awesome! :) Can't wait to get it and I hope you like what I'm sending to you. ;)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Whew, oh good. Thanks.

heyjami,
The block you made was wonderful. Your points were spot on and you left 1/4" all around the outside so there was room to join the block and not lose your wonderful points. You should be very proud of your work.
I am sure you took extra time to do this block because it is not an easy one to do. Again, be very PROUD of your work. If you are new at this, you will be a FANTASTIC quilter.
Remember, each of us was new at one time and we all learn at different paces. You really jumped out of the starting gate and have absolutely nothing to worry about. YOUR WORK IS GREAT!!!

Originally Posted by heyjami
I'm a new quilter and I sincerely did my best on every single block I sent out. A few were extra challenging. Almost every single block required some sort of re-sew. There are a few exchangers that received 2 blocks from me because I completely remade them.

Take care, hope I didn't disappoint you with my exchange.

Ladies,
The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks.
It all starts with the cutting. If you are not accurate, you will never get a good block. If you cut it wrong, put it in your scrap pile and cut another one. Don't sew a 1/2" strip to it to make it fit and think I won't notice. If you cut on the bias, your square will probably not be square unless you are very experienced and know how to work w/bias cuts. When it is cut on the bias it stretches and you get odd measurements. And equally as important is the final pressing, and please note I didn't say ironing, because there is a difference. If you iron a perfectly square block, you can iron it out of shape by stretching it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks AngieS! I'm sure I loved yours too - since I really enjoyed them all! It's so fun to get the packages in the mail.

I was so lucky to have many scrap bag opportunities in my area. $7 for a full bag of scraps (usually 10 F8's at least!). There's one LQS that offers a big bag for $11 but I don't get that one much.

Loved all the blocks!

I did realize that sending my neutral color was probably very hard on many of you. Sorry about that. The brights with obvious contrasts were so easy for me and they were the ones I grabbed first.

Originally Posted by AngieS
Jami,

My block that you sent to me was wonderful. I loved it! I would also have been happy with the block you sent too Pattis. Please don't think your blocks are bad.

This is my first boomerang swap too. Sadly it will be my last.

I appreciate all of my blocks that I have received from you all. Hugs!! :)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 PM

1) If anyone wasn't happy with the block I made, please let me know and I'll make another one.

2) I'm missing Lillie's F8.

3) I'm showing that I'm missing the following blocks:

brenda5
Havplenty
Jennifer22206
Lillie
Materialgrl
NurseBonnie
Qbee
quiltin'gran

If you won't be able to make the deadline (or within a few days of it), may I ask that you please return my F8? That way I can make the remaining blocks myself. I didn't buy much extra fabric as it was on the expensive side, and I'd like to have the right number of blocks to complete my quilt. Thank you.

4) All the F8's I've received were completed and mailed back at least two months ago, so they should have all arrived home by now. If the post office gremlins have yet to deliver your finished block, please let me know and I'll be glad to make another one.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 AM

If everyone would take a deep breath an read back through the posts they will see that Lillie did communicate to April that she would not be able to send our her F8's this swap but she was going to complete everyones blocks and send them out by the deadline.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 AM

I have completed and mailed all of my finished blocks that I have received F8's. Last 2 are mailing out today.