Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM

April when is the deadline for signing up?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Sign up ending should be Sunday night if she stays with the two week sign up time frame:)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Navarre2011
Sign up ending should be Sunday night if she stays with the two week sign up time frame:)
That is correct KaSandra-Thanks so much. May 1st is the last day for sign-ups and I will email everyone the list by Monday evening.
Hope you consider joining in on the fun Havplenty and any other swappers who may be considering the swap :thumbup:
Hugs
April
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 AM

Tip for first-time Boomerangers:

If you're using a multiple-yard piece of fabric, leave it folded in half like it came off the bolt, and pin the selvage edges together with safety pins before you wash and dry it. It's MUCH easier to fold and cut afterwards, and doesn't get all wonky! :)

(Credit for the tip goes to someone in B3 or B4 - I forget who! :oops: But it's a life-saver! :thumbup: )
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 AM

To all I have completed my blocks to go home. Put them in the mail this morning 4/26/11. Thank all for being patient with me. God bless and happy Quilting.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Tip for first-time Boomerangers:

If you're using a multiple-yard piece of fabric, leave it folded in half like it came off the bolt, and pin the selvage edges together with safety pins before you wash and dry it. It's MUCH easier to fold and cut afterwards, and doesn't get all wonky! :)

(Credit for the tip goes to someone in B3 or B4 - I forget who! :oops: But it's a life-saver! :thumbup: )
Thanks, I will try this...am buying fabric today...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by shaysmema
Here's a sneak peak of my fabric, it's in the envelopes ready to go.
Very pretty fabric, sorry can't join this round, have fun ladies!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by craft phanatic
I have definitely decided on one fabric and am considering another. I'm not sure if the green fabric with just black and white will give people a hard time because of the limited number of colors.
Very pretty!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I do believe that some blocks should be outlawed...like a snowball, and a 9 patch...and there should be a set amount of the fabric sent used in the block, like about 1/2 of the F8th.
If we outlaw blocks it would be like telling beginners they cannot swap and this swap is open to all skill levels. Yes even snowballs and 9 patches can help build skills. They can teach us proper seams and how to work with HSTs comfortably before we venture in to more complex blocks. We encourage people to try new blocks in this swap but do not discourage them from doing any particular one.

As far as the amount of fabric one uses is truly up to the maker of the block. Some people will look at a block and think oh the 4" middle is perfect for their fabric and then i'll frame it with complimentary fabrics and others will use almost all of the F8. Sometimes there is too much and sometimes there is too little of someone's F8 used but that is ultimately up to who makes the blocks.

this is a great fun swap, but for first timers, there needs to be a Recommendations list to help show the patterns that work best, and a list of TO DO things before the fabrics arrive. Like pull some blenders out and wash them. If you have to buy some pick some normal colors like green, blue, yellow, brown and 1/3 yd does several blocks!
What works best for who becomes the issue. What might be right or best for one may not be for another. I could list a wide range of great blocks that I would consider great beginner blocks but others may think they are too complex or not complex enough... Whole in the Barn Door, Shoo-Fly, Churn Dash, Friendship Star.....

As far as buying "normal" colors again this is a personal preference thing. A normal color for me is orange, I know this is not the case for most people though. And buying base colors like blue, green, brown while not a bad idea who knows if they will be used or not. Everyone's color palette is so different which is one of the things that makes this swap so much fun. It encourages us all to step out of the comfort of those "safe" colors and try something maybe we normally wouldn't buy.

As for posting when fabrics arrive, I think if each person just posted an arrival UPDATE each Sunday evening that would be enough...trying to wade through 120+ pages to find INFO is hard when your time at home/on the PC is so limited!
I have no issue with a once a week update but that day could be different for everyone. So you would still need to move through postings to see items. I could start a page just for pictures of blocks for the Boom swap but as we know people comment and that pushes threads out too so...it is hard to "trim" down the number of pages.

I appreciate any and all input but I want and need everyone to remember that this swap is truly meant for ALL skill levels and aims to try and help people grow. Grow in both block skill and color selection.

Hugs
April
Thank you April, you said that so nicely...
I had some problems with a few blocks in the last swap (my blocks not anyone elses) and I tried to make sure I contacted the blocks mother to let them know what happened. One of my blocks was 14" but it's owner said she didn't mind. And I made one really nice block (perfect size) but then I accidently sliced in with my rotary cutter and it couldn't be fixed (I really sliced it bad, killed it actually) so I had to use what little bit of the F8 I had left and it got sent home with more of my fabric than the F8. But accidents happen (at least at my house, they do) and sometimes no matter how careful you are to follow directions the size just comes out wrong or the colors you thought looked good together couldn't get along once they were sewn into a block.

But.... the purpose is to have fun and learn and get lots of new blocks... And if you're expecting perfection, maybe this isn't the right place to be.

Now if someone wants to start a swap for advanced quilters with more stringent guidelines, then that would be different, wouldn't it?....

DonnaD
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bookworm
Yup I'm here and want the two :)

I already have most of the fabric picked out and working on cutting it.

Anyone have an idea of something that goes with Elvis?
Guitars, dancers, musical notes and um... maybe naked women? lol

DonnaD