Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltfool
Have not participated before but want to sign up for this swap. Sounds like great fun. One question, if you receive 35 other fabrics how many fabrics are required in each block. A few...all.
Welcome :-)
In each block you would use some of the fabric sent to you by each swapper and then as many different fabrics as your pattern of choice calls for-there is no limit on how much of each fabric to use or how many. The decision is based on what you want to make for the person's fabric.
Hope this helps and look forward to having you join us-just send me a PM if you want in with all of your information as requested on page one.
Hugs
April
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Ok, I have a silly question. A fat eighth is 9x11, which is half of a fat quarter.

These are 18x11. I've cut out about twenty now, then realized I'm getting 3/4's of a fat quarter and having a quarter left over (or so).

The measurements are right?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
Ok, I have a silly question. A fat eighth is 9x11, which is half of a fat quarter.

These are 18x11. I've cut out about twenty now, then realized I'm getting 3/4's of a fat quarter and having a quarter left over (or so).

If you cut a fat quarter which is 18 x 22 you will end up with a piece that is 18 x 11 roughly. You can also do 9 x 22 if you have 1/4 yard pieces of material.
Hope this helps.
Hugs
April
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Originally Posted by reeskylr

If you cut a fat quarter which is 18 x 22 you will end up with a piece that is 18 x 11 roughly. You can also do 9 x 22 if you have 1/4 yard pieces of material.
Hope this helps.
Hugs
April
Ok, thanks. I was just curious, lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM

April I appreciate your leadership in this swap. Reading through the threads and seeing your comments and guidance to others has given me the push I need to participate in this challenge. I see that you are a good leader and plan to keep this a fun swap open to everyone of all skill levels. Perfection comes with practice and time and if the right encouragement and leadership is there, those involved will begin to rise to the challenge.

With that said I am a modern/comtemporary quilter using bold colors and textures to achieve dimension in my projects. This comes from my many years of sewing and designing my own boutique clothing line. I am fairly new to quilting (2.5 years) so my take on what's normal will probably be a bit different than some others in this swap. When using expressive fabrics sometimes less is more when designing the blocks. I hope to do a respectable job when making blocks for others in this swap and I can only hope they will be open to my intrepretations also. I will try to stick to some line of "traditional" but I cannot promise that. Please love me anyways. :-D Mary

[quote=LovingIzabella]
Originally Posted by DonnaD
Thank you April, you said that so nicely...
But.... the purpose is to have fun and learn and get lots of new blocks... And if you're expecting perfection, maybe this isn't the right place to be.

Now if someone wants to start a swap for advanced quilters with more stringent guidelines, then that would be different, wouldn't it?....

DonnaD
Thank you for your kind words. I am here to try and make sure this swap does not turn in to a police state. We all need constructive critisicism from time to time but here is not the place to limit people to what they can try or use. I think as pictures are posted people begin to see and get a real flavor for good blocks versus "ummm maybe not again" blocks and oh boy I love those colors or again "ummm maybe not again". I am always here to answer questions and if there is an issue PM me and I WILL take care of it in a kind and supportive way.

There is no rule against establishing a more advanced swap but this is for all skill levels and will remain that way :thumbup:

Hugs
April
Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 AM

Diversity is what makes life interesting....
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM

I got my fabric; it'll go in the wash this weekend! Raring to go!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
April I appreciate your leadership in this swap. Reading through the threads and seeing your comments and guidance to others has given me the push I need to participate in this challenge. I see that you are a good leader and plan to keep this a fun swap open to everyone of all skill levels. Perfection comes with practice and time and if the right encouragement and leadership is there, those involved will begin to rise to the challenge.

With that said I am a modern/comtemporary quilter using bold colors and textures to achieve dimension in my projects. This comes from my many years of sewing and designing my own boutique clothing line. I am fairly new to quilting (2.5 years) so my take on what's normal will probably be a bit different than some others in this swap. When using expressive fabrics sometimes less is more when designing the blocks. I hope to do a respectable job when making blocks for others in this swap and I can only hope they will be open to my intrepretations also. I will try to stick to some line of "traditional" but I cannot promise that. Please love me anyways. :-D Mary
No need for promises-we will enjoy whatever you decide to make and what is normal for you could open the eyes of others to a whole new world so it is more than welcome :-) So very glad you decided to join this swap and I thank you for your kind words. I try to lead this swap as best I can and make sure everyone involved has a good time as well as a learning environment that is healthy...and making friends along the way is the biggest plus :-)
Hope you enjoy the swap.
Hugs
April
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM

ONLY 21 yes 21 spots left before we have a third full group. Jump on in and join the fun-you will have a blast....
Come on you know YOU want to :-)
Hugs
April
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM

April, I have a question. Is it being too restrictive to ask my group not to use black wit my asian fabric print? I have a finishing plan in mine for my blocks so I don't want black IN the block but I didn't know if I could add a restriction to my groupies! Robin