Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10 >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ReRe
I love to see all the lovely blocks and can't wait to see the ones that come my way when 2.0 starts. I am already excited about 3.0 and 2.0 hasn't started yet. I know the exact material to go get as well. All I have to do is figure out how much material 36 F8s is and how to cut a F8. Anyone tell me?
Eight per yard would be possible if there's no mishaps, but remember there's some possible loss to fraying/shrinking when you prewash...I'd go with 5yds to be safe. I think we had a discussion about F8s waaaaay back in the beginning...but I can't remember what was decided for sure... But a FAT quarter is 18x 1/2 of the width of the fabric, so a FAT eighth would be 1/4 of the width of the fabric x 18.... Example using 44 inch width would be 18x22 (F4) and 11x18 (F8)... A normal 1/4 yard is 9x wof...that would end up being 9x22 in our 44 inch example. Either size is workable...and the skinnies actually give some selvedge to every piece and the fats lose selvedge on half of the pieces.
I've reread and I think I'm okay on this...but, everyone feel free to check me on this, please...
Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM

I just cut mine fat 1/8 and saved the extra strips for whatever only because I want to make other stuff with this fabric. I really should have bought the bolt. hahaha
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by reneebobby
I just cut mine fat 1/8 and saved the extra strips for whatever only because I want to make other stuff with this fabric. I really should have bought the bolt. hahaha
There's been a few fabrics that I WISHED I had bought a bolt or two of too! No matter what I'm thinkin' I want to do, I can always find a place for that particular fabric...I guess if we really love it, we REALLY LOVE IT! :thumbup:
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 AM

All fellow swappers and friends....

OK .. thanks for info on yardage for the F8's. I am sitting out #2 but plan on rejoining at #3. That will be very helpful.

I also want to post pictures of my 3 latest blocks and later send a list of those I have and don't have. Just in case they were eaten by a mad postal employee or something crazy like that.

Mine have all gone out so let me know if that circumstance happened to any of your blocks on their way home.

Lovely from KBunn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29920[/ATTACH]

And today this lovely found its way home from NorBanQuilts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29921[/ATTACH]

Another beauty by Kysmommy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30214[/ATTACH]

This beauty by Montanaquilter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30354[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29920.jpe   attachment-29921.jpe   attachment-30214.jpe   attachment-30354.jpe  
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Now my have and have not lists:
No pressure just worried that they may have gotten lost on their way from your house to my house.

Waiting for:

Anita Riddle, barsbus, blueribbontoes, bobbinwinder, ispy, madquilter, moodykim, ninnie, odessaquilts, sewspecial, The Quilted Dove.

These all found their way, thank you so much.

lovingisabella, mgrhs,mosher92,N louisana, neoma, Oatw13, odessaquilts, purplemem,sarasewing,susiequilt, barbs,ckcowl, colletakay, daylily4u, granny216,Jan10, janecat,buddy's mom, kbunn, norbana quilts, winewoman. cjt mama.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM

I received blocks from Mistiliz and NorbanaQuilts today!
Thank you both so much, I love them both!
I'll get a picture of all the latest ones I have gotten soon.

12 more to go!
:-D
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Thanx Odessa and Mad, I think I will stick with the 2 that I picked out. They are really growing on me and I can't wait to see what you wonderful quilters do with them!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM

So if I get this right, a F8 is either 18" x 11" or 9" x 22" and I could conceivably get 8 per yard making me need 4 yards but best to buy 5 yards instead. Thanks a bunch. I know the exact fabric I want to get so it will be VERY interesting what I get back in return. Unless I just cut up what I've got here at the house and not buy any more material just for the swap. I've still got plenty of untouched stuff here at home.

ReRe
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm easily confused ( ;-) ) So what i do is cut everything to half yards and then go from there. I can get two fat quarters from a half yard and then two fat eights from each fat quarter. Fat 8ths are 18x21 or 22.
Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
Originally Posted by ReRe
I love to see all the lovely blocks and can't wait to see the ones that come my way when 2.0 starts. I am already excited about 3.0 and 2.0 hasn't started yet. I know the exact material to go get as well. All I have to do is figure out how much material 36 F8s is and how to cut a F8. Anyone tell me?
Eight per yard would be possible if there's no mishaps, but remember there's some possible loss to fraying/shrinking when you prewash...I'd go with 5yds to be safe. I think we had a discussion about F8s waaaaay back in the beginning...but I can't remember what was decided for sure... But a FAT quarter is 18x 1/2 of the width of the fabric, so a FAT eighth would be 1/4 of the width of the fabric x 18.... Example using 44 inch width would be 18x22 (F4) and 11x18 (F8)... A normal 1/4 yard is 9x wof...that would end up being 9x22 in our 44 inch example. Either size is workable...and the skinnies actually give some selvedge to every piece and the fats lose selvedge on half of the pieces.
I've reread and I think I'm okay on this...but, everyone feel free to check me on this, please...
Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kysmommy2
I'm easily confused ( ;-) ) So what i do is cut everything to half yards and then go from there. I can get two fat quarters from a half yard and then two fat eights from each fat quarter. Fat 8ths are 18x21 or 22quote]
example. Either size is workable...and the skinnies actually give some selvedge to every piece and the fats lose selvedge on half of the pieces.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]
I found that the F8 (17X11)was plenty. There were several pieces I received that I could make two blocks, or use the remaining in another swappers block.