Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
Cher,
Please don't wait I'm working on a block now and could really use the help. :lol:
I would love to help you what is it you are having trouble with? I am going to post my applique steps here because a few of us have tiny appliques and this was the easiest way for me to achieve it and I thought I would share that.
As for D11 and the steps for that I think it is one of the more difficult paper pieced blocks and I think that step by step should wait for the block party. :-)
Cher
Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned

D11 is a tricky block. the center section is easy but then its downhill from there.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Okay, there have been three new blocks posted - they are awesome. I am particularly struck by the block with 4 small circles. Were those appliqued? What method did you use?
The block is B-1 Batchelor Buttons and I did hand applique them.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
OMG

the block with the 4 circles are just beautiful.

i can't get over how flawless your circles are!! bravo!!
Thanks for the nice compliment. I can't wait till January. This exchange is just what I need to get motivated to do the full Dear Jane Quilt.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
she hasn't posted yet about how she made such perfect circles.

we're all awaiting her return - i'm sure the lurkers want to know too.
Okay the circles were pretty easy to do. I traced the circle onto template plastic. After I cut the templates out I used an emery board to smooth the edges of the circle. I cut my fabric slightly larger than the template and did a running stitch around the edge of the fabric, put template in center of circle and pulled the stitches so fabric would wrap around the template. Tied the thread so fabric woulb be taut around template, pressed and startched the circle so it would hold its shape, removed the stitches and the template and used a tad of basting glue to hold edges down. Then I just appliqued it in place.
Hubby thinks I'm crazy because I cut 12 of these circle templates and work on 12 circles at a time. I even used my template plastic to make a template of the block and cut out the circles so I could lay the block template on the background fabric and just pin on the circles that push the circles through the cut out and I'm ready to sew. Sounds crazy I know but it works for me and I don't have to measure each and every block for placement of the circles.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

I am a little courious about how 18 blocks work into a quilt. Do we need to make extra blocks to fill in? Gwyn
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

need help deciding which fabrics to use hopeful the pic comes through
I am doing blocks E3 H13 and K2
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11631.jpe   attachment-11639.jpe  
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cheriffic
Cher,
Please don't wait I'm working on a block now and could really use the help. :lol:
I would love to help you what is it you are having trouble with? I am going to post my applique steps here because a few of us have tiny appliques and this was the easiest way for me to achieve it and I thought I would share that.
As for D11 and the steps for that I think it is one of the more difficult paper pieced blocks and I think that step by step should wait for the block party. :-)
Cher
My problem is J9 and those tiny little melons, haven't figured out how to do them yet. I've never done needle turn, and the wax paper method I usually use doesn't work because the melons are so small. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheriffic
Cher,
Cher
My problem is J9 and those tiny little melons, haven't figured out how to do them yet. I've never done needle turn, and the wax paper method I usually use doesn't work because the melons are so small. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the "pillow" type method you would for the melons. you would trace the pattern onto fusible interfacing and sew the fabric to the interfacing wrongsides together.

the wrongside of the interfacing in this case is the fusible side.

then put a snip in the interfacing and turn the piece out like you would a pillow and finger press into shape.

once you're happy with the look fuse the piece onto the background fabric and then do a blind stitch around it to hold it in place.

if you want i can put up a tute this weekend since i'm going to be doing some applique.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chewboo
need help deciding which fabrics to use hopeful the pic comes through
I am doing blocks E3 H13 and K2
i like the green & red flower fabric with the cream/cream squares

i like the green & gold swirl with the red/red tone fabric

i like the trees with the gold swirl. this fabric might look best for block H13 because it has the largest pieces and the trees will show nicely in those sections.