Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Klue! The mini lesson I posted today uses a slight variation on the Star Point Block. I think if you look at the process you will get the idea of the cut down method. It is basically sew fabric together then cut out or cut down to get the look you are working toward. Yes there will be some leftovers but they are only waste if you don't find a way to reuse them.
My first priority is to find an easier way to piece. So cutting down is easier than marking and cutting each individual piece.
So all my DJ blocks will be based on this idea whether I incorporate some of my "Blocks" or use a strip piecing or any other method that works it all will work on the same principal. Join fabric and then cut.
When you are working with some of these DJ blocks that are so tiny this is a great time to use the cut down. You will handle larger pieces than if you tried to cut out and then sew together.

Hope everyone has a lot of fun doing all of the Dear Jane blocks!!
I am having a blast redrafting and playing with these blocks!!!

I had never even heard of a Dear Jane quilt til 2 or 3 months ago when someone asked me if I had ever done one. Of course I hadn't as I didn't know about them! :D :D :D
Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
she hasn't posted yet about how she made such perfect circles.

we're all awaiting her return - i'm sure the lurkers want to know too.
Okay the circles were pretty easy to do. I traced the circle onto template plastic. After I cut the templates out I used an emery board to smooth the edges of the circle. I cut my fabric slightly larger than the template and did a running stitch around the edge of the fabric, put template in center of circle and pulled the stitches so fabric would wrap around the template. Tied the thread so fabric woulb be taut around template, pressed and startched the circle so it would hold its shape, removed the stitches and the template and used a tad of basting glue to hold edges down. Then I just appliqued it in place.
Hubby thinks I'm crazy because I cut 12 of these circle templates and work on 12 circles at a time. I even used my template plastic to make a template of the block and cut out the circles so I could lay the block template on the background fabric and just pin on the circles that push the circles through the cut out and I'm ready to sew. Sounds crazy I know but it works for me and I don't have to measure each and every block for placement of the circles.
That is how I do the circles for my drunkard's path only I baste them to the background and sew them on with my sewing machine. I put a seam about 1/8" from the edge of the circle. These are yoyos or so I thought. I could be wrong but that was what I thought they are called.
When I first started doing these this way I saw an article where some quilter used a penny to get the shape and size of a grape for what she was doing. I find washers (at least the ones I could find) and coins are too thick. I use a cardboard circle that I also use an emory board to sand down the edges. I tried using acrylic tempate plastic but I reuse mine alot and they tend to shrink abit from the heat of the iron. Cardboard works best for me.
I also like to use these as the center of my Dresden Kaleidoscopes. They work great for alot of things.
I hand sew mine on because I don't trust myself with the machine to keep an even edge around the circle.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

i don't think she doing yoyo's as much as expanding on the concept because yoyo are kinda bagging and puffy and these look as tight as a drum in the picture.

its like a modified yoyo.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

i don't think she doing yoyo's as much as expanding on the concept because yoyo are kinda bagging and puffy and these look as tight as a drum in the picture.

its like a modified yoyo.
It is the same steps just the way you handle them makes them look differant. If you spray them and make them stiff then they look like this and if you don't make them stiff then they are baggy and more puffy. I had to look up the yoyos before I wrote my class for QuiltCampus on my version of the Drunkard's Path block because I wanted to be accurate. And the directions are the same. They may have a differant name but if they do they are made the same way.
Sorry Klue just my experience. I learned to make these things 30 years ago and have made tons of them over the years.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

yes its the same steps but isn't used in the same way nor cut the same size.

many sewing techniques use gathering and are called different things and are named differently.

a yoyo doesn't have tight seams it cut very large and has bulk behind the circle thats what makes a yoyo a yoyo - its not the gathering technique that makes a yoyo.

sounds to me like she didn't cut the circle super large and has tons of material behind that circle like you would in a yoyo.

she cut the circle tight to the seam lines - maybe trying very hard to only have that 1/4 seam.

with a yoyo there's a lot of extra fabric on the back an extra 1/2 or 1 inch is in the back of the yoyo or the front depending if you want the opening in front or in the back.

maybe i'm understanding her incorrectly and maybe she has an entire inch of fabric behind that circle.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Here's my next block E-3. Took a bit.. (ok, alot) of figuring out to get this right... HST are not my forte', but I'm liking them a bit more now. With 18 more to do, guess I'll either love them or depise them.
I do have to say, I couldn't of done this without the help of my Sis.. like I said, HST and I don't play nice together!. :lol:

KLue.. are you sure you just want Christmas colors? I could slip this one in and no one would notice (then only 17 more to do). :lol: :lol:

E 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46330[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46330.jpe  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM

tuesy, it looks great! And, if Klue agrees I'm willing to take the blue one.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Where do I find the tuturial that was "just" posted?
Originally Posted by Rhonda
I posted my first directions for the Dear Jane Blocks. I offered to give my version of those blocks that I think I can redraft using my methods. Since I saw some discussion on the D11 block I looked at it again and it is the one I did first. I had looked at it and said no way but I did find a way.
I am putting them on my thread Rhonda's Retreat if anyone is interested. I will be putting on blocks as I have time to do them between now and Jan.
If anyone has questions as always I am here just ask. If anyone has one they would like me to take a look at just let me know and I will see what I can do. However I know there are ones that I can't do my way. I know Klue is available for the paper piecing. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm sure there are other ways to do these blocks. If I can help just let know!Thanks!
rhonda

your way of doing D11 is brilliant!!!

everyone go run and look at the tute she put up.

which ebook would people buy to best learn your cut down method and apply the technique to the Dear Jane blocks.

i'm sure people in this swap, the sew along in Jan, and the lurkers would love to know and buy such a book to help them with the concepts being presented on your personal page and how it relates to jane.

[quote]
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

tuesy

it looks so cute. i just love it
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

ok guys

i've done my sample block for the 2nd set.

its not terrible but i don't think its a good block for a swap.

the entire block is bias. the best way to do this block is to leave it on the foundation until the very last moment or else it just pulls out of shape.

if i were to touch this with an iron again the shape would distort.

so anyway here's the pic its block L2

L2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46328[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46328.jpe