Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Eager Beavers Chat and photos >

Eager Beavers Chat and photos

Eager Beavers Chat and photos

Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 AM

Wow, I'm so impressed with both our postal services now!!
Still awaiting one to arrive here, but giving it lots of thought. Not doing much lately, as I put an applibond needle partway through my finger a couple of weeks ago, and it's till very tender. Must get going on my IRR round, time is running out on that. Talk soon.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 AM

Thought I'd post a little info on my Melbourne landmarks, and no, they're certainly not our oldest buildings. The Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne, where the Australasian Quilt Convention is held, was the original Australian Parliament House at the time of Federation, and was built in 1880, to host an International Exhibition, and also The World Fair in 1888.

Rupertswood MAnsion in my home town of Sunbury was built between 1874 and 1876, and still stands, although it currently home to Salesion /college, and a reception centre.Rupertswood is the original home of "The Ashes".

Had I had a little more time and motivation, these would have been my other 2 blocks, but fate and my DH were conspiring against me.

Flinders Street Railway Station at the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets is the oldest station in Australia (1910) although the first station on this site opened in 1854!

Flinders street is the busiest suburban railway station in the southern hemisphere even after the completion of the city loop railway subway and its 700 metre main platform is the longest in the country.

Flinders Street Station is 'the' meeting place for Melburnians, expressed simply as "meet me under the clocks", a reference to the clocks above the main entrance.

Shrine story

The Shrine of Remembrance was built between July 1928 and November 1934 in remembrance of the 114,000 men and women of Victoria who served and those who died in the Great War of 1914-1918 - 89,100 of them served overseas and 19,000 did not return.

The people of Victoria felt that their debt to these volunteers, who had defended them at such great costs to themselves and their families, should be recognised by a worthy permanent monument of remembrance.

Although the country was faced with frightful unemployment and financial difficulty in the late 1920s and the 1930s, so great was the gratitude of the people that the huge amount required to build the Shrine was raised or promised within six months from the opening of the appeal in 1928.

The design for the Shrine of Remembrance was selected by competition among Australian artists and architects. Eighty-three designs were submitted and the winning design was by two Melbourne returned-soldier architects, Philip Hudson and James Wardrop.

The inspiration for the external outline came from one of the seven wonders of the ancient world - the mausoleum at Harlicarnassus to Mausolus, King of Caria in South West Asia Minor.

Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester and son of King George V, officially opened the Shrine before a crowd of 300,000 people in November 1934.

Since then, it has been a growing monument, with other memorials added to the site to mark the service of successive generations, such as the Second World War Forecourt and the Remembrance Garden – Post 1945 Memorial.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Thought I'd post a little info on my Melbourne landmarks, and no, they're certainly not our oldest buildings. The Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne, where the Australasian Quilt Convention is held, was the original Australian Parliament House at the time of Federation, and was built in 1880, to host an International Exhibition, and also The World Fair in 1888.

Rupertswood MAnsion in my home town of Sunbury was built between 1874 and 1876, and still stands, although it currently home to Salesion /college, and a reception centre.Rupertswood is the original home of "The Ashes".

Had I had a little more time and motivation, these would have been my other 2 blocks, but fate and my DH were conspiring against me.

Flinders Street Railway Station at the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets is the oldest station in Australia (1910) although the first station on this site opened in 1854!

Flinders street is the busiest suburban railway station in the southern hemisphere even after the completion of the city loop railway subway and its 700 metre main platform is the longest in the country.

Flinders Street Station is 'the' meeting place for Melburnians, expressed simply as "meet me under the clocks", a reference to the clocks above the main entrance.

Shrine story

The Shrine of Remembrance was built between July 1928 and November 1934 in remembrance of the 114,000 men and women of Victoria who served and those who died in the Great War of 1914-1918 - 89,100 of them served overseas and 19,000 did not return.

The people of Victoria felt that their debt to these volunteers, who had defended them at such great costs to themselves and their families, should be recognised by a worthy permanent monument of remembrance.

Although the country was faced with frightful unemployment and financial difficulty in the late 1920s and the 1930s, so great was the gratitude of the people that the huge amount required to build the Shrine was raised or promised within six months from the opening of the appeal in 1928.

The design for the Shrine of Remembrance was selected by competition among Australian artists and architects. Eighty-three designs were submitted and the winning design was by two Melbourne returned-soldier architects, Philip Hudson and James Wardrop.

The inspiration for the external outline came from one of the seven wonders of the ancient world - the mausoleum at Harlicarnassus to Mausolus, King of Caria in South West Asia Minor.

Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester and son of King George V, officially opened the Shrine before a crowd of 300,000 people in November 1934.

Since then, it has been a growing monument, with other memorials added to the site to mark the service of successive generations, such as the Second World War Forecourt and the Remembrance Garden – Post 1945 Memorial.
Have personally been to and viewed the Shrine of Rmemberance ... gives you an awesome feeling of being humble and proud. While visiting Melbourne we also took a ride and enjoyed a gourmet dinner, prepared onboard the "TRAMCAR RESTUARANT" (refurbished old trolley cars), while winding its way through the streets of the city. Is that restuarant still in business an doing these excursions? Just one of the highlights of my trip Doun Under, I shall always remember. :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:
--- Dayle
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Yes, the "Tramcar Restaurant"is still in existance.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM

hi all, hope in one way or another you have ha a productive day :)
i was out baby sitting last night for two little boys. let me tell you! it was a whole new experience for me after having 2 girls, and i had a lovely time!! yup! i really enjoyed it!!! grin!
'iron man'/game boys etc, or not, i was in the grove!! lol...

well the mum brought me round a bottle of wine as a thank you, so needless to say what i have 'sank' this evening! well deserved!! i haven't had a glass of wine in weeks! since before i started my new job i think! and as it's my weekend 'off' i think it is allowed ;) yes, i have had a pleasant evening!!

i sorted out my 'guest room' today, assembled a new bed... so Dayle, when you and Herman come over to Scotland you certainly have somewhere to stay now we are 'off' the market!! Rachael (DD2) is staying here for another week while her 'Fiance' is away on 'training course'. she only has a few weeks left before eh 'pop's'!! oohhh!!!! can't wait!!!!

as well as the spare room being sorted today i have been re-arranging my 'sewing room' i will need to get the rest of my things back from my 'father-in-laws' back bedroom. he has been kind enough to look after all my craft bits 'n pieces while we have been up for sale over the last year.

i have had Linda's row out for my viewing purposes today...
different fabrics have been coming out of the drawer for 'audition'...
and a few drawings have been scribbled too... i think this is the one idea i am maybe going with.
as linda has been focusing on favourite buildings in Australia and my next row for her is 'Houses etc', i thought i may go with the idea of cottages from around the UK. one from each of our countries; England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales...
how does that grab you Linda????
here is a 'doodle' for you to peruse...
:)

my little work corner, where it 'all happens' :c)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200718[/ATTACH]

doodle time...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200719[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200705.jpe   attachment-200712.jpe   attachment-200713.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jacquie
hi all, hope in one way or another you have ha a productive day :)
i was out baby sitting last night for two little boys. let me tell you! it was a whole new experience for me after having 2 girls, and i had a lovely time!! yup! i really enjoyed it!!! grin!
'iron man'/game boys etc, or not, i was in the grove!! lol...

well the mum brought me round a bottle of wine as a thank you, so needless to say what i have 'sank' this evening! well deserved!! i haven't had a glass of wine in weeks! since before i started my new job i think! and as it's my weekend 'off' i think it is allowed ;) yes, i have had a pleasant evening!!

i sorted out my 'guest room' today, assembled a new bed... so Dayle, when you and Herman come over to Scotland you certainly have somewhere to stay now we are 'off' the market!! Rachael (DD2) is staying here for another week while her 'Fiance' is away on 'training course'. she only has a few weeks left before eh 'pop's'!! oohhh!!!! can't wait!!!!

as well as the spare room being sorted today i have been re-arranging my 'sewing room' i will need to get the rest of my things back from my 'father-in-laws' back bedroom. he has been kind enough to look after all my craft bits 'n pieces while we have been up for sale over the last year.

i have had Linda's row out for my viewing purposes today...
different fabrics have been coming out of the drawer for 'audition'...
and a few drawings have been scribbled too... i think this is the one idea i am maybe going with.
as linda has been focusing on favourite buildings in Australia and my next row for her is 'Houses etc', i thought i may go with the idea of cottages from around the UK. one from each of our countries; England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales...
how does that grab you Linda????
here is a 'doodle' for you to peruse...
:)
WOW ..... sounds like a "neat idea" for Linda's Row Robin. I've got Joan's and I am going to make a complete row of different kinds of Birdhouses. Good to hear from you Jacquie.
(((HUGS))) -- Dayle
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Wow, Dayle's right, that's a neat idea Jacquiw. In fact, that's a great idea. Well I haven't received one yet to have to do any real thinking, but I'm having a coupld of little inklings.Hopefully one of them will pan out.
And Jacquie, you're so right about boys being different to girls.Was a complete shock to have a boy after 3 girls.I bet you're getting more excited by the day with your granchilds birthdate looming. I remember how exciting it was for us, with not just the first, but all three.
Keep us in the loop on that one, and hope Rachel's still doing fine.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Ok, decided to put all our pics in folders this afternoon, but seem to be missing a couple.Are they posted somewhere else, or just plain MIA??
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Row #2 Theme is Houses ..... and I'm working on Joan's Row Robin and put together a small sketch of my plans for her row. Thought I'd share my idea with all of you.

This is Joan's - View from her window row.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200961[/ATTACH]

This is a close-up of one of her blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200962[/ATTACH]

This is a sketch of my plans for her row --- "Birdhouses".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200955.jpe   attachment-200956.jpe   attachment-200957.jpe  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 AM

I just got home from my trip to Switzerland and visiting my son. It looks like I have a bit of reading to do to catch up with all of you!
Love the look of the second row for my quilt!!