Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
FALL BLOCK SWAP... (CLOSED) PLEASE SEE MY POST ON PAGE 32 >

FALL BLOCK SWAP... (CLOSED) PLEASE SEE MY POST ON PAGE 32

FALL BLOCK SWAP... (CLOSED) PLEASE SEE MY POST ON PAGE 32

Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Leave it alone for now. Wasn't the premise to enjoy the learning and sharing.

I agree with the 100% cotton, I think I bought something of a blend myself. At the time I wasn't thinking of cotton but COLOR, so stupid me.

Put the size thing to the back of your mind and remember it for next time. Let's enjoy the sharing and each others attempts.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by chickadee_42us
Leave it alone for now. Wasn't the premise to enjoy the learning and sharing.

I agree with the 100% cotton, I think I bought something of a blend myself. At the time I wasn't thinking of cotton but COLOR, so stupid me.

Put the size thing to the back of your mind and remember it for next time. Let's enjoy the sharing and each others attempts.
CHILL there Chickie. I was just havin a little fun...........

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Good on you!!! Yes, let's all enjoy the experiment and the experience...sharing what we made, no matter how it comes out. I like that idea. However, I would still like to have a nice 100% cotton quilt out of the blocks I get. So.......let's all stick to the rules. :-)
Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 AM

Colletta Kay.....I mailed my package to you yesterday. We were under a tornado watch, I guess I was determined.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 AM

We have snow this am.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 AM

We're supposed to get some flurries later next week.

Just a note: The reminders weren't to make anyone feel like they were being bashed. It was just for future blocks. This is a fun experience were we learn about quilting and each other. We're not perfect and neither will our blocks be.

Make sure you use 100% cotton and strive for as close to 12.5" as you can possibly get. But most importantly have FUN!! and enjoy the swap.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 AM

Will be working on mine this weekend. Everyone's blocks are beautiful! :)
Old 10-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Kiav10 and bettia - the small block wasn't yours -

I have really enjoyed looking at them - I've learned something from all of them - especially the backs.

My Mom was a person that always looked at the inside of a garment to see how a garment was constructed or at the back of a piece of needlework. She was an extraordinarily talented woman. A tough act to follow.

I completely forgot about using sashing to compensate for variations in sizes. Sew on borders/compensating strips/frames and then trim all the blocks to the same size. Actually a very doable thing. And then go on to arranging them - - -

I do hope that those that backed out will reconsider.

I still think it is a good idea to measure the blocks that one receives just so one knows what one will be working with. It's much easier to compensate right away with various sashings, setting strips, frames etc when one knows that it will make the blocks look nice in the finished piece.

I really was just trying to make it easier for everyone in the longer run.

One of the more famous quilts of our time - the quilt by Jane A. Stickle of the Dear Jane book - her blocks varied immensely in size (from about 3.5 to 4.75 inches) - although it's really hard for me to tell from the tiny pictures how much is part of the block design and how much is sashing - but it sure looks like she did a lot of "compensating" to make her blocks "fit" in that quilt. I think the "average" is about 4.5 inches.

So if that was a 12-inch block, that would have made the blocks vary from about 9.3 inches to 12.7 inches.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM

I have finished my Fall Blocks and will mail them on Tuesday, as Monday is a holiday. I am so enjoying seeing everyone's blocks. I would love receiving everyone of them and they will make some beautiful quilts. I will try to post a picture of my blocks but am having trouble with my camera. My pics just aren't coming out crisp.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5718.jpe   attachment-5719.jpe  
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Colletta, put me on a list to receive off-size blocks, blocks made with fabric other than 100% cotton, and also where the points don't match. I have no problems taking those that may not be perfect and I'm not offended by anyone's work. Seriously, I'll take 'em.