Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Flowers that Bloom in the Spring - TraLa  TraLa - SIGN UPS CLOSED >

Flowers that Bloom in the Spring - TraLa TraLa - SIGN UPS CLOSED

Flowers that Bloom in the Spring - TraLa TraLa - SIGN UPS CLOSED

Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Whew, I am glad some one clarified that I had some of mine cut .
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 AM

Welcome to Jayelee! Just joined the swap this morning!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM

I found that I had to stretch the pieces while pressing my completed "rings" using a water sprayer to get them to lie flat.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Sometimes if I do not be careful to start and finish the seam at the 1/4" mark, that happens. When cutting, sometimes they are not all correct. I found that putting the paper template on a good strong piece of board or plastic helped keep my template accurate, then I drew my lines then used a ruler to add for cutting accuracy. Extra steps, but took care of any extra waive or short. Best Press is good for being sure that all is "pressed", not ironed. Not sure if this helps, but all the tidbits add for a better time making them.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Welcome Jaylee. I'm a newbie to this swap too and first time doing a dresden plate. I was always afraid of them so I took the plunge and drove right in with Deb's help and I'm loving it. I love the antique look of the blocks. I'm using a small blanket stitch to hold them down. It's awesome.
Welcome and have fun.
R
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Hey guys, are we using that dang elusive SCANT 1/4 inch.I am sorry I hate that little guy.Deb did help when she told me to move my needle over but sometimes.whew, he is a problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM

On this block the scant does not make any difference. I would suggest though (ask me how I know this) that when you cut the circle template, give yourself a little more room...say another 1/4 inch....(and some are saying NOW SHE SUGGESTS THIS). Again, I cut my background 13 inches square, put on the plate than square it up to the 12.5 unfinished block.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Welcome Jaylee. I'm a newbie to this swap too and first time doing a dresden plate. I was always afraid of them so I took the plunge and drove right in with Deb's help and I'm loving it. I love the antique look of the blocks. I'm using a small blanket stitch to hold them down. It's awesome.
Welcome and have fun.
R
I have to agree, with the addition of the leaves and the pastel colors we are using, it does give the plate the antique look.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM

I found if I cut my wof wider than what I need then wash I do better than trying to wash a large hunk of fabric,cut generous pieces,because it will shrink.I don't like trying to iron 3 yds etc. of fabric.I think I cut these 14 inches
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by materialgrl
Hey guys, are we using that dang elusive SCANT 1/4 inch.I am sorry I hate that little guy.Deb did help when she told me to move my needle over but sometimes.whew, he is a problem.
you don't need to struggle with that scant 1/4 because you can accountant for it in cutting your fabric which is much easier and you end up with a true 1/4 inch seam.

when cutting your fabric just add in about 3 threads extra into the cut for example if you need 2 1/2 inches cut 2 1/2 inches plus 3 threads.

then sew a true 1/4 and you'll end up measurements as if you had sewn a scant 1/4.

also if you can ever get your hands on a vintage singer piecing foot that will give you a true scant 1/4.

i have many vintage singers and the foot fits my brand new juki F600 and it works great.

most of the time i don't sew with a scant 1/4 i prefer to put it in my cutting.