Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ladysaint View Post
Kiffie....Here is a picture of the stitchout from my software of one that has been very popular.
My condolences on your loss. I just am so thankful I still have my Mom. She was 75 in August. She's lived with dh and I for years.
That 2nd design us beautiful as well! I love it saying Mothers and Daughters...
I don't have an embroidery machine. I do all of my embroidery and embellishments by hand. I will just have to draw it out and go that way. I have more sewing machines than should be legal (haha).
I've debated buying an embroidery machine. But honestly, I don't think I'll use it. Some of my quilt friends have one, and I think they make beautiful things. But I just enjoy hand embroidery.
I do love both the designs you showed!

Regards,
K
Old 10-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Love the other mug rugs, too!
And ladysaint, my daughter-in-law was born in Louisiana, she loves the fleur de lis. So your designs work perfectly for my family!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto View Post
WOW have to say I think my feeling are hurt for someone to say they don't want to swap with me because I quilt with Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I stated in my post I made my choices easy with no special color or theme and that I also liked bright colors and hello kitty.
I think it's like rwquilts said, she probably didn't realize how it might come out. I don't think she meant it to be hurtful. She's a lil toony like me sometimes (you know I love ya, Lynnie ), but she's not a hurtful gal.
I did read where you said you like numerous things, and I read it that you're fine with whatever your partner makes you.. You just were telling us a bit about your interests, like the rest of us have been doing.

And I always say if we all liked the same things how dull the world would be.
I also don't complain about anything when I sign up for the swaps, because that's part of the deal...seeing all the varied and different "goodies" created!
The hostesses "nicely" put in the swap rules that we're all different with different skill levels, so we all go into these awesome swaps knowing that.
Regards all,
Kif

Tlambing, so you and I shouldn't swap 1990's pastel blue, mauve, green mug rugs with each other, right??.. lol
Old 10-09-2014, 01:05 AM

The mug rugs are so cute! I love them all. I am making some small Christmas ones that I ordered the pattern for (in the hoop embroidery) to send in lieu of cards to special people this Christmas. Who doesn't love a mug rug!!!
I may post pictures here - if that is okay - even though they aren't exactly quilted. I am in the swap here, too - my first swap.

My 96 year old Mom lives with us (she is not doing well right now -- why I am up at 3:00 AM) - but I, too, feel blessed to have her here (although she has no interest in my hobby). To those who have lost their Moms, you have my sympathy.

Rene
Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Lynnie your always so positively open minded I know how creative you can get and think you will have a blast when you find out what your partner is hoping for. Its fun to start with an idea and expand on it isn't it?

One more day and this swap closes. Period. I will then sort each of your requests and find a partner for you. it might take me a couple hours I have 74 emails. some of those are double from one sign up who has added to her things I love list but I promise I will send you what I have received about your secret partner. I suggest also going back through these pages (there are not THAT MANY) and seeing what they might have posted to add to the things they like. some have only posted those wishes here and others ony in email so double check to be sure. it wont take long just look for posts they made. you can also go to their about me page and find the last few posts they made and check their. read the items about me they write. its another good way to get a glimpse into their lives and make it a bit more personal. This is a little gift that says something about the two of you and I bet will be enjoyed for a long time. ONE MORE DAY FOR SIGN UPS so get your PMS to me if you are interested!!! this should be a great swap and lots of fun posts to read, enjoy and respond to. I can not wait to see the sneak peak of what you end up making for your partner! little teases are fun because well no one knows who they are for...

I do not have an embroidery machine at all. Mine does oh 60 stitches but you cant call it embroidery per say. I have to embroider a few corn stalks today on a wall hanging and that will be interesting. lol. my hand work aint what it used to be! I did so many embroidered pillows growing up. I did petipoint ? needle point that was so tiny! and I loved it. now forget needlepoint! let alone itty bitty needle point. Embroidery hurts the hands so I do accent things mostly. still love it.

what hobbies do you have and enjoy? I love water color at times, reading and cooking a lot. I tried crocheting baby blankets. joke of the century. they start out one width then got wider and wider and wider.. I gave up. I found some brand new crocheted baby blankets at the bargain box here. OMG. 1.00 to 3.00 each. SOLD. yarn is way more expensive than that. wowsa. I quilt to forget life. I forget troubles, financial, physical everything when I quilt. its a grand way to just be me for a little bit. I will take that. oh yes I love decoupage and embellishments a ton.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 AM

I'd like to join, but I am worried that my skill level is not up to par. Some mug rugs are incredible! I don't want my secret swappee to be disappointed that they got mine. I will, however, pledge to do my very best!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:55 AM

I have just PM'd Linda so I can be a part of this swap. I have made only one mug rug and it was for myself. I will do my best to make a mug rug for my partner that she will be proud to use.
For myself , I would like to have a summery mug rug. One that is bright and cheerful, I need some bright and cheerful.
Now all I have to do is learn how to post a photo!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies View Post
I'd like to join, but I am worried that my skill level is not up to par. Some mug rugs are incredible! I don't want my secret swappee to be disappointed that they got mine. I will, however, pledge to do my very best!!!
Please no worries!!
We all started somewhere.. And I know for me, I'm my own worst critic. I hope one doesn't sign up because they think their work won't be "up to par". This isn't golf, no "par" here. (Said with a giggle and also me picturing myself even remotely trying golf, talk about a mess ).
Everyone's work is BETTER than "par", because it's made with your heart. Can't go wrong there!!
Please, please, please anyone who wants to sign up, sign up! There's quite a few of us NMRM- "newbie mug rug makers"
I've never made a mug rug either, but there's a 1st time for everything... And if I wanted "perfection" I'd just go buy one at the store. Um, I guess that'd be a coaster, though.....

Rennie, I will keep your mom and you in my prayers. It's hard when Mom isn't doing well.
It was actually my hubby who suggested Mom move out with us. Yep, I have an amazing hubby! Mom likes to regale people with the fact "At least my son in law wanted me..." In her lil pitiful voice, while she's laughingly looking straight at me! She's a lil turkey!!
I know before we added on and my mom moved out with us (after my dad died) my dear hubby told us his only concern was we'd be living here for the duration. Meaning when/if something happened to Mom, or myself for that matter, as we never know, the other one of us would still be living here. He didn't want that to be an issue. At that time it was 2 yrs prior to Mom's cancer diagnosis. And my Lupus diagnosis. 12 yrs in, I just try not to "What if" things. I can get myself into some not good scenarios "what iffing??". So, I quilt and talk too much here on QB instead!
Oh, and my mom loathes sewing...lol. She's always said she's so happy I love sewing like my Nanny (Mom's Mom), since she never wanted to learn. Mom is content to crochet and play Nintendo. Yep, Nintendo...

Regards all,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 10-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 AM

"Tlambing, so you and I shouldn't swap 1990's pastel blue, mauve, green mug rugs with each other, right??.. lol"

I would gladly regift any pastel mugrug you are so gracious to make for me Kiffie! Not sure why I have such a visceral reaction to them. Both of my best quilting friends are avid country/pastel/flowery type gals. It's so hard sometimes to help them shop and they for me. So glad we all have such different tastes though...otherwise how boring would life be?

Do have to say I love 30's 40's reproductions that are flowery and pastel. They seem to sing to the little girl in me I'd LOVE a reproduction Mug rug
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
The mug rugs are so cute! I love them all. I am making some small Christmas ones that I ordered the pattern for (in the hoop embroidery) to send in lieu of cards to special people this Christmas. Who doesn't love a mug rug!!!
I may post pictures here - if that is okay - even though they aren't exactly quilted. I am in the swap here, too - my first swap.

My 96 year old Mom lives with us (she is not doing well right now -- why I am up at 3:00 AM) - but I, too, feel blessed to have her here (although she has no interest in my hobby). To those who have lost their Moms, you have my sympathy.

Rene
Rene: where did you get the "in-the-hoop" embroidery pattern? All 3 of the mug rugs I showed are made that way. They are still quilted and I do the binding by hand vs. doing it in the hoop. Gives it that more quilty/homemade feel. Is quilty a word?? LOL I think it is.

Patchesnposies....please join in. Though I have made mug rugs before, this will be my first swap. I am sure whatever you send will be just great. I am very hard on myself as well and I am the one that sees the imperfections, not the others. Jump in girl!