Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by tlambing View Post
"Tlambing, so you and I shouldn't swap 1990's pastel blue, mauve, green mug rugs with each other, right??.. lol"

I would gladly regift any pastel mugrug you are so gracious to make for me Kiffie! Not sure why I have such a visceral reaction to them. Both of my best quilting friends are avid country/pastel/flowery type gals. It's so hard sometimes to help them shop and they for me. So glad we all have such different tastes though...otherwise how boring would life be?

Do have to say I love 30's 40's reproductions that are flowery and pastel. They seem to sing to the little girl in me I'd LOVE a reproduction Mug rug
Same here! Have to be careful not to "regift" to each other..
And I love 30's repros, too!
K
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM

I'm in as well. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Yes please join in, my quilting isn't the greatest, but I do my best and hope to please.

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies View Post
I'd like to join, but I am worried that my skill level is not up to par. Some mug rugs are incredible! I don't want my secret swappee to be disappointed that they got mine. I will, however, pledge to do my very best!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

A mug rug is just a tiny quilt. So everyone join in on this. Besides, we have almost 2, TWO whole months to make this monstrosity!!! That means 2 months of trial and error!!! Two months of trying new ideas and new techniques!!!
Can you imagine all the extra gifts we'll all have after constructing a mug rug??? All the new ideas and shapes and sizes. Yes, mugrugs come in different shapes, I've seen animals, houses flowers, the list goes on, so just join in on the fun. You've heard the expression, "The more the merrier", join in everyone, Hurry, what are you waiting for, stop reading and send a pm and join in. NOW....go ahead. we're all waiting for you to sign up.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

i'M READY TO JUMP IN, i'LL TAKE A DOG, CAT BIRD FLOWER LOVER.
ithink that covers about 3/4 of the people here.
got some good ideas i NEED to try out. lots of great designs to
put your own spin on. Lotsa fun!!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM

In my PM to Brat I stated that I like batiks, which I do, but for whoever gets my name, what I really like is anything. I like these swaps because it is where I get to see examples of styles that I would not normally have thought of trying. From the wall hangings and doll quilts I've swapped I have come to appreciate new colours, hexies, applique, traditional quilting, etc. and I have then tried those styles myself. What I want to receive more than anything is something that reflects my mug rug gifter.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Bilben, i like that idea. I wanted a block swap a few yrs ago
from where you are. Like Il live on LI NEw YOrk, we're known for our
lighthouses, beaches and sea stuff. NYC is the big apple and taxi's.
I thought that would be alot of fun. fun my place is too small to
do a swap. It would be great for someone who wants to host a swap.
I could see a yellow bridge for golden gate ect.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 PM

That would be fun lynnie! I live right outside Nashville, guitars and music theme.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM

ok question: do you mind if I play? there is no secret when I assign someone me lol but who I send to would be a secret.. is that ok or you rather I wait in the wings and be an angel. I am praying NOBODY forgets to send. Its not fair for those who do send to not receive. Think about that please and do your best to follow through. I suggest dumb as this sounds you making your mug rug early on so no matter what its there and ready to go and then slowly find a couple little goodies to go with it. if you then put it in an envelope or small box... well its ready to mail when the time comes.

also question: what does everyone say about sending early but not opening? if you are game with this I will adjust that rule say .. from Nov 15th on you can send but the recipient MUST not open it before Dec. 15th. some people like to mail early and get things done. it must be mailed however by Dec 1st the latest. sound reasonable?

busy day with lots of questions. And I am no expert quilter by any means. I do my best. And stated you have lots of time to practice til your happy if you need help just send someone a PM and ask for advise. what the heck we all have things to learn. My stupid sewing machine was indeed the needle. After all that work it was the needle! and it looked perfectly straight when I took it out. thought what the heck.. tried a singer needle and boom it worked. btw kiffie those needles are not cheap at all. From Germany Sharps are very expensive plus I have to mail order them in so double expensive. I don't like changing them more than necessary. lucky for me someone gifted me a bunch of old singer needles they had from way back when (inherit them from grandma) and I had some in stock. phew!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM

I've been working diligently every night on a mini quilt for the October swap. My machine is having issues with the bobbin, making loud rattling noises. I took the bottom assembly apart and vacuumned it out (I need one of those mini vacs!!), then it still didn't stop making noise, so I took the bobbin out, replaced and rethreaded it, then took the thing apart AGAIN and that must have been the problem, the casing wasn't set in properly the first time. And after all of that, I am ready to assemble my paper pieced block tonight! Whew!!

And on another note, I think that mailing by December 1st and waiting til the 15th to open is great! I am going to a quilt show tomorrow in Payson, so will be looking for goodies. I have more patterns and ideas for mug rugs that you can shake a stick at, so I'll just be waiting for my secret partner to see if there are any special requests before starting on that project.

P.S. One more thing, Brat, I think you should throw your name into the swap! There are plenty of us "angels" if the situation arises (one hopes not!).

Last edited by MizMelly; 10-10-2014 at 07:56 AM.