Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon) >

January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon)

January secret Pal Sign Up Closes Dec 30th (noon)

Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Yes !!! Thanks Lori !!!!
I am guilty also. I will stop.Sorry.Mary
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 AM

I haven't received a squishie or firmy from my second sp. Am I the only one on the bench? It is getting mighty cold out here............brrrrr.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Wanted to share with you all my recent reminder that it is dangerous to jump to conclusions and also that we should give folks the benefit of the doubt. I was waiting in line for a hot chocolate and there were a number of people ahead of me. The man directly in front of me was texting on his phone. When it came his turn to order the gal behind the counter asked if she could help him and he didn't respond at all. She asked a second time, but he continued texting and didn't respond. Obviously a little miffed she looked and me and asked if she could help me. While she was waiting on me, the man looked up at me and I just kind of smiled and shrugged my shoulders. The other gal behind the counter asked him if she could help him and he proceed to point and sign his order, obviously deaf. I suppose it could be argued that he shouldn't have been texting in line, but then I think what a blessing cell phones that text must be to deaf people.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Lori I agree with what you're saying to a point. HOWEVER, one of the awesome things about this thread/swap is that we have all gotten to know and care about each other over the months; most of us without ever having met in person. So it is normal to want to share or vent when something good or bad happens. Many of the swaps on the board are a one time thing; this is much different. Sometimes I get on here and I agree that there is an excess of "babbling on" about nothing to do with the thread. I just scroll through it if I don't feel like reading it. It takes a few seconds to scroll through what you don't want to read and after the first sentence you can tell if it has to do with the swap or not. I personally don't want to be jumping from thread to thread every time I'm on here. I guess my point is that I hope this thread doesn't become a "ghost town".
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54 View Post
Well said, Lori!!!
Yes, well said.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 AM

I don't mind the way it is now.....so I guess this includes the posting of a passing loved one also. This is the ONLY thread I hang out in because I thought we were all "family" and could talk about anything, guess I was wrong. I've noticed a couple folks agree w/you Lori but I don't see them in here posting at all sometimes, until something like what you said comes up. I do agree with Brenda, "I hope this thread doesn't become a "ghost town".........I agree to a certain extent, but it's sad when just a few complainers can ruin all the fun. The postings aren't what would drive me away, it's the constant complaining that definitely would.

Last edited by mscupid804; 01-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
I don't mind the way it is now.....so I guess this includes the posting of a passing loved one also. This is the ONLY thread I hang out in because I thought we were all "family" and could talk about anything, guess I was wrong. I've noticed a couple folks agree w/you Lori but I don't see them in here posting at all sometimes, until something like what you said comes up. I do agree with Brenda, "I hope this thread doesn't become a "ghost town".........I agree to a certain extent, but it's sad when just a few complainers can ruin all the fun.
Yep to both of you. I agree. But, we have to comply or be banished!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 PM

lori i have some questions (and a couple of comments) about your post and hopefully since it was posted on this thread i can comment about it here. is this swap going the way of trying to regulate everything that is said, done, or sent out? if that is so, where is the rule book with all of the regulations in it and the list of do's and don'ts so that we can judge for ourselves if we want to continue to play? do we not wish happy birthdays if someone mentions it's their birthday or should they not mention that at all? should anything that we want to mention that is not about package hints, packages received or packages sent to be in another thread? will that be part of the rules now? are we coming to the place in the swap that we should say nothing because we dont know if it's allowed or it will offend someone's sensibilities? i would like to know the "new" rules so i can judge for myself if it is something i want to continue with?

we are all of different personalities and i for one feel that i am mature in my thinking and do not try to make everyone else wear my opinions or even adopt them because i feel that mine are right and perfect. they are just that my opinions. to me there is room for anyone to have their opinion but it is my perogative to accept it or not. on the subject of regifting, i will continue to do so and believe others are entitled to their opinion about it but i do not have to make their opinions mine. i will not change my mind about that no matter what others think. if no regifting becomes part of the "new" rules of this swap, then that leaves me out and i will not play anymore and i am perfectly fine with that. that is part of my mature thinking, if something (as small as this swap is) does not fit me, i wont complain about changing the rules, i just have to make the decision for myself whether to participate or not.

the banter at one time was very negative in my opinion and the opinions of others. i have to say the tone has changed significantly in the last coupla months and it can be fun for those who want to participate. but will there be rules now about what is considered banter and which banter is acceptable? how does one regulate exactly what another person says and how does that person know when they have crossed the invisible line as not to offend someone? how can one pre-determine what will hurt another person's feelings or not?

how does one pre-determine what is going to be an acceptable swap package to another? i believe most of us when we put our packages together think that they are acceptable. how do you regulate this i am curious? i asked a similar question of this swap about a month or so ago. the spending limit is $10.00 for this swap and listed as part of the rules is states that "There is a 10 dollar budget for this swap. Items from your stash or homemade items are not included in the $10 limit." For me i know that everything i include in my packages cost me something even the handmade items and i do assign a cost to those. the fabric i make things from costs as well as the buttons i use or the stuffing i buy. i for one try to stay within the $10.00 limit and have crossed it a couple of time and spent up to $13-$14 dollars because i ordered something for a sp. who in this swap should have the right to determine for me what is acceptable? again a personal opinion to me. again i would like to see whatever rules are gonna govern this so i can make my own decision whether to continue to play.

we are a group of adults and i think we should know how to govern ourselves. we each come from different backgrounds, different socioeconomic classes, different ethnic groups, different life experiences, different philosophies and view things differently and there can never, in my humble opinion, be a collective group think where we will all think alike. again i ask for the rules, written or otherwise so that i can make my decision about whether to continue with this swap. i say with respect that all are entitled to their opinions as i am and i don't allow others attempts to make me wear their opinions about anything. i do what i think is right for me within the context of what i participate in.

mary
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Amen mary!!!!!!!! Go girl!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

I for one am relatively new to the SP group. Regarding the thread being hijacked with chatter other than just about SP packages....

If I understand now with the guidelines presented....we would never have known of the sudden death of a beloved granddaughter of one of our special members....we would not have known of Lori's life long friend... Marty's wonderful news on her 'counts' being good.... we wouldn't have shared in pictures of Lori's Christmas party for a very deserving family.....we would be limited to wishing Happy Birthday to a frequent poster to the boards....who knows maybe our Happy Birthday wishes are the ONLY BD wishes that some members may receive?

I for one, hope the board continues the way I've observed it for the 3 or 4 months I've participated. It is one of the endearing things that attracted me to this thread is that everyone seems to care what is going on in the active participants lives.

Just my humble thoughts for your consideration....

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.