March - Boom 18

Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 PM

You may edit your post only within the first 20 minutes. To do so, look at the bottom of the post and I believe it's a pencil with an eraser. Click that and your post should pop up and you may edit it. If you miss the 20 minute window, just make a new post. No problem.

Regarding duplicate blocks, Boomers USUALLY, not always, post pictures of the blocks they make as they make them. I then TRY to pick up those pix within a few days and post them in the gallery. If everyone checks the gallery and is keeping up with the posts, seldom is there a duplication. However, it happens and I don't think anyone regards it as a big deal as the fabrics you will be adding are different than the ones the other swappers add.

For everyone, please remember that moving pix to the gallery is a multi-step process and is something I do when I have the time. I cannot always do it right away and sometimes it's longer than a few days. That's one reason it behooves you all to check this board regularly, even frequently. Please do not rely on the gallery alone to see if the block you wish to make has already been made. Check the threads.

AND as long as I'm on the subject of pix...SHRINK YOUR PIX! NO 3 megabyte photos please. SHRINK them to 200 kb or less. That will help the QB pages load more quickly when we get photo heavy, which is about to happen. ALSO, it keeps me from having to do it to move them to the gallery. If gigantic files are posted, I probably won't move them to the gallery right away (ever?) as it takes me extra time. We will have over 500 pix posted here and I really don't want to have to tell you the time involved in the gallery. It's my choice to work the gallery but I depend upon you to make it feasible. So please everyone, help me out by posting small pix.

More info than you all wanted but there it is. And as many of you know, I seldom say something in 10 words when I can say it in 20.

Originally Posted by jlt37869 View Post
Is there a way to edit your post??!?!?!?!

I wanted to add to my previous post to say that duplicate blocks are not at all an issue for me in regard to the blocks being made with my fabric. I was just curious how that situation was managed as I see how it could be an issue for others in the group. Or maybe it's not a concern because the chances of it happening are so small?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 PM

JLT, great questions...please make your block as YOU would prefer to make it.

Press as you wish. I also press to the side except when there's going to be a huge amount of bulk.

Thread color: Try to make it blend in but you do not need to change threads within a single block. I think that's overkill. Most neutrals will blend but a red on a white block, or white on a mostly black block would be something to avoid.

Photos: you may post them here, or you may also post to an album you make through the QB but if you'd like to see your pix in the gallery which a lot of people use, you will have to post here. See my previous post on photo size. IT IS IMPORTANT.

Edited to add for everyone, BLOCKS ARE TO MEASURE 12 1/2 INCHES SQUARE. I do expect everyone to measure. It's not an option!

Hope that helps.

A few (newbie) Boom questions:

1) Seam pressing. Any rules? I typically press to the side. If anyone wants their seams pressed open, please let me know.
2) Thread color/brand. Any specific rules? I usually use Gutermann 100% cotton in neutrals such as tan or gray.
3) How do we avoid duplicate blocks within the group or is that not a concern? For example, I am making a paper pinwheel block for All2piece's GD. When/where do we post photos of our blocks?

Thanks!

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Jlt, if no color is marked just pick colors that go with fabric as long as it's not black, white or pink. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Libster I want to wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow, what is your secret ������
Old 01-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Libster I want to wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow, what is your secret ������

LOL I'm so darn tired tonight that I'll probably sleep like the dead! I normally sleep about 6 hours a night, after that, I'm good to go again.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Just wanted to let you know I got the package today. Already got started.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM

They do hate being dressed, fortunately we don't have to do it often. Usually once dressed they stay that way until it warms enough to undress.
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I just saw your chickens. Pretty neat I never thought there was such a thing. They were sooooo cute. Do they give you a hard time to dress??
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

A few (newbie) Boom questions:

1) Seam pressing. Any rules? I typically press to the side. If anyone wants their seams pressed open, please let me know.
2) Thread color/brand. Any specific rules? I usually use Gutermann 100% cotton in neutrals such as tan or gray.
3) How do we avoid duplicate blocks within the group or is that not a concern? For example, I am making a paper pinwheel block for All2piece's GD. When/where do we post photos of our blocks?

Thanks!
JLT, how exciting! Yea!! for the pinwheel! She likes blocks that "show" movement. Thanks very much.
As others have said, press the fabric as you see fit as you sew.
Neutral or matching threads work best, whichever you have loaded on your machine. I would hate for you to have to load a bobbin with, say... aqua, if you only have a small bit to sew with that color. I use 100% cotton or cotton/poly all purpose thread.
Duplicate blocks within a quilt aren't normally an issue because the fabric speaks to each of us differently. Even then, I have different fabric in my stash than someone else. Sometimes people send two fabrics out in a package to make their blocks. That's the rare occasion when duplicate blocks might happen, and the photos help prevent it. It wouldn't bother me at all to receive multiple blocks of the same pattern.
Sometimes we create the same block for several of the swappers, i.e., Box Kite or Pinwheel for multiple people. Each block looks different depending on that swapper's fabric.

Janice does an excellent job keeping us straight. It is very time consuming to transfer all the photos to a second site. I really appreciate the galleries she puts together. With approximately 40 blocks to swap between these 2 BOOMs I know I'll have to refer to the galleries now and again.
I have trouble resizing photos to fit this board. Sometimes I have to use my camera, sometimes my tablet, and I may even try my new phone this time. Just do your best, and post the blocks as you finish them to this forum so we can all see.

Sorry if this post is too long. Can't wait to see the new creations! Cheers!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 AM

All2pieces I have to take picture with my phone, send it to my I Pad and post from there. For some reason I can't post pictures from my phone
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
LOL I'm so darn tired tonight that I'll probably sleep like the dead! I normally sleep about 6 hours a night, after that, I'm good to go again.
Libster I went to bed at 11:30 woke up at 1, laid in bed till 2 and finally said to heck with it. Got up showered, dressed and now watching the minutes drag by waiting for hubby to get up