Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap >

November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM

THanks all ... only my 3rd time doing FM so it was tough .... I used the quilting markers and went SLOW LOL and then crossed my fingers that the markers really WOULD come out!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM

I was thinking about those markers, but I am not terribly trusting by nature and not sure they would remove either. I have had a family crisis or two so haven't started the practice quilting yet, but I hope to try it this week.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:09 AM

Well ladies and gents if there are any gents w/ us. I have had success on two fronts. First I found what I was looking for to make the hangers and still keep it reversible. Second I attempted some free motion stitching on the scraps. It wasn't to hard or bad, so as soon as I find a marking pen I can use I will quilt it up and work on the hangers.

Any suggestions on marking pens that come out of the fabric?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Understanding that your top is not cotton. be sure to test any choices on a scrap. Recently people have been using Crayola washable markers and those pens that disappear with heat, I forget the name. I have always used my purple invisible marker for everything but dark colors and I love the chaco pen (white chalk) and pounce for the dark I have never had problems removing marks. Use a very light touch, just enough pressure on the pen to see a light line. I also make hash lines rather than draw a full line.
peace
Old 01-18-2015, 08:11 AM

I bought the chalk markers from Joanns with white and colored refills. The only one I trouble removing was the green one and it came out aftet a couple of washings. I like them because white doesn't always show up well on patterned fabrics and my purple pen was not dark enough at times.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I spent today getting all the blocks sewn together and sadly watching Green Bay loose. I started about 9am and just finished at 7pm without stopping for a nap!

I had been using painters tape to hold the smaller pieces together while sewing them. As each block was added the tape didn't work anymore due to the weight so the next best thing was to try freezer paper. I took 5 x 6" pieces and pressed them to the front of each block where I was sewing a seam and it worked great to hold the seams together and stabilize the blocks. It made the sewing a breeze.

Now I have to add the finishing triangles and border then backing quilting and finishing, which I am still trying to figure out.

Be careful out there in the icy world.
peace
Old 01-19-2015, 04:36 AM

UH OH ... I just realized that I didn't put anything on the back so it could hang or be hung ... is there a link somewhere that someone could post on the EASIEST way for me to do this?

Thanks,

Marion

P.S. - everyone's projects sound wonderful!!!! Can't wait for the swap!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Marion, I think the easiest thing to do is make a tube from a scrap that is about 2" shorter than the width of the quilt.
Make it about 3- 4" deep and just hand sew it onto the back of the quilt just below the binding.

Sew the top edge first and then Iron a 1- 1 1/2" pleat in the bottom so there is some give in the tube for a dowel, then pin and hand sew the bottom edge.

Sorry to hear this happened. I would add for myself that if you get my name I would be happy to do that part of the finishing.
peace
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I like to use picture hangers. I use the kind that is about 1 1/2" long or so and you tack them onto the back of a picture with a couple of little nails or tacks. I sew through the holes for the nails and hand stitch them onto the back of a wall hanging. It's sort of like adding buttons or snaps

Put one on each end and if you have a larger wall hanging put one in the middle
Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

That's a great idea R. I like it!
peace