October Mini Quilt Swap

Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I'm not in this swap, just stopped by to lurk.
When i was small I lived about 20 minutes from New York City, the trick or treating was prime then.
we'd go all day, and when we got hungry, we'd head to the stores like Dunkin Donuts and the beer distributor for soda. Those were the good old days, when you could go all day and not worry about crazy people. Wish I joined this swap, maybe next time. Have fun everyone.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Tlambing I think you stated it the way I think. I had fun halloween times as a kid, but just don't like gory stuff.

My funniest story, though not funny then was going out dressed up as a kid with my brother and sister. I was the oldest, probably 12 at the time, my brother 10, and my only sister then was 8. I was to watch over the other two. We go out having fun with no worries in them days, but still watchful. My mom said to not go inside anyone's house. We were fine until almost time to go home, and we go to this one house where a man come to the door and commented on our costumes, and there went my brother running in, and my little sister followed him. I yelled at them to get back out there. I DID NOT run in. I ran home crying and told mom and dad they were kidnapped by this old man. I told them my brother ran in and then my sister so fast I couldn't stop them. Then all of a sudden I hear my brother and sister hid out in one of the bedrooms laughing so hard they can't talk. Boy was I mad. Mom told them they shouldn't have done that to me. I wanted to thump their heads together and that is putting it mildly. I was so relieved though.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Linny View Post
I contacted my partner, Laquita.....looking forward to hearing from her.
Linny, I'm here, got your PM. It kind of confused me as your subject was : Doll quilt. I was a bit concerned b/c I didn't sign up for a doll quilt but a October mini FALL quilt. Then I got to thinking.....doll...fall....close enough to count huh???
I'll PM you my address and get yours in the mail either Friday or Monday at the latest. Thanks so much Linny!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tlambing View Post
I have just the right suggestion Kif.
Something pieced and quilted and addressed to me! I love Halloween. NO Gore, traditional spooky kiddish Halloween. Everything about it makes me happy.
Tlambing,
You didn't disappoint...as soon as I posted that, I thought to myself if it was me replying to me (just humor me, y'all know I'm toony) I would've said, "Make something and send it to me.".
Can't blame you, Tlambing..it IS great fabric

I also have a couple of fqs of "It's the Great Pumpkin". I'm embarrassed to say I forgot about them until I was going through my Halloween fabrics.

Love reading everyone's Halloween memories....

Klaws messaged me, and I've replied... now to come up with something fun...think, think, think..

Kif
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM

LaQuita, Sorry about the confusion....I think when I sent your message it offered me Doll Quilt or Mini and I must have mistakenly hit Doll Quilt. Sorry about that. Will mail yours on Monday also.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:32 PM

Not sure what happened to my pic, but here it is again!
Attached Thumbnails spooky.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM

MizMelly,
I couldn't see it really well, but what I could make out looks great! Are those snow globes or crystal balls or something that I'm totally missing??!! Haha

Lynnie,
Next month don't lurk, join us!!!

Kif
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM

I'm seeing beakers and what looks to be goblins. I believe we need a bigger pic Miz. Looks really cool though.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 AM

I can remember how much fun Halloween was as a youngster. In school I can remember making woven placemats out of black and orange construction paper. Treats for our school celebration were usually cut out cookies, cupcakes, popcorn balls, taffy apples and lots of other goodies that our mom's sent to school with us.

Trick or treat was always held in the evening. The parents did not accompany their children, it was safe and there wasn't any need for worries I can remember the little containers that we carried for Unicef, pennies seemed to be the denomination that was collected. It was a huge treat back then to find a chocolate bar in our treat bags. I do remember getting apples, cookies, and popcorn balls along with various candy. In the Midwest, the end of October was usually cold and I can remember wearing our coats and pants under our costumes. We never felt the cold, we were kids having lots of fun

Jan
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM

I had great fun as a child trick or treating. My mother was always very into helping us with costumes. Being the forth daughter, I don't think I ever got a "new" costume. Mom had a box of costumes she saved and there was always something in there to choose from. I think I was a Sicillian dancer at least 5 yrs, until I got too tall for the little skirt. Then I was able to find a longer skirt and modified it into Snow White
We always had the same dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner before going out. A tradition I shared with my kids. The anticipation was almost too much to bear. My favorite homes to get to were the ones of neighborhood friends. There was always some sort of big treat at those houses, giant candy bars or something homemade or in a special bag or container. And we always had to pose for pictures!
I remember walking for what seemed miles and miles. Filling that plastic pumpkin head full of pounds of candy. When we'd get home we were required to let our folks check it out. I really don't think it was for safety as much as it was for them finding a few of their favorites. I didn't mind.