Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
"Once Upon a Time In My Garden" PP Block Swap with a "Twist" >

"Once Upon a Time In My Garden" PP Block Swap with a "Twist"

"Once Upon a Time In My Garden" PP Block Swap with a "Twist"

Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
I have your name down Marcia. You may make up to 6 sets of 6 1/2" blocks and 2 sets of the 3 1/2" twist. Please read my first post for details.
I did read it after I sent the message. Sorry, just a busy time and I overlooked the details. Thanks for putting me into the swap.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
just wondering, why keep the papers on? sorry, newbie here, but just asking.
=)
Many peope find Patti that by stitching the blocks together with the paper on, the blocks are more stable and go together with better precision. That's way we keep them on.

Okay everyone, I have had a message from someone who would love to participate with us. She has a small problem...all her fabric scraps (which is what she is planning on using for this swap) have not been pre-washed. Before I say yea or ney, I thought I might ask all of you how you feel about unwashed scrap fabrics being used? Does it matter to you? Thoughts and comments are all welcome please? Thanks everyone for giving me some input on this?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I am fine as long as she irons and steams them on hot before using them. This should help take care of shrinkage. Also I use shout color catchers when I wash my quilts and highly recommend them especially when you have swap blocks in a quilt.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Had the same problem(not knowing if pre-washed) with some of my small scraps that were donated from some friends applique work.... washed them in a salad spinner (per suggestion from magazine 'Quilts With Style') spun them almost dry and ironed them. Had minimual fraying and was careful not to use any frayed edge.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM

I say let her. I washed some small scraps of red by hand with a bit of laundry soap under the faucet once. It took care of any bleeding. Anything else won't bug me. The squares I receive will be used in a wall hanging and never need washing.

Last edited by SheriR; 05-19-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Not washed? Absolutely, no problem here.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post

Okay everyone, I have had a message from someone who would love to participate with us. She has a small problem...all her fabric scraps (which is what she is planning on using for this swap) have not been pre-washed. Before I say yea or ney, I thought I might ask all of you how you feel about unwashed scrap fabrics being used? Does it matter to you? Thoughts and comments are all welcome please? Thanks everyone for giving me some input on this?
Not a problem for me either...I always use Shout Color Catcher when washing any colored fabrics. They are wonderful.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Thank you for those of you who've weighed in on this. I agree personally, but didn't want to influence anyone either way...so for those who might NOT want unwashed fabrics in your blocks please PM me and I'll make a note of that by your name. You guys are the bestest!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Many peope find Patti that by stitching the blocks together with the paper on, the blocks are more stable and go together with better precision. That's way we keep them on.
-------------------------
Oh, Ok, I get that the paper has to be on while stitching up the block. I guess maybe I am asking the wrong way. how to explain what I mean. So I stitch up the block as I always have with paper on. But you mean that after it is all put together in a 6.5 block, I am to keep all papers on? What if I have to square off or steam iron? sorry to be so obtuse, I just want to do it the right way. I always took mine off when block is done. I find it so fun to rip off the paper and discover that your little artwork has worked out. (and just fun to rip, lol)
Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
-------------------------
Oh, Ok, I get that the paper has to be on while stitching up the block. I guess maybe I am asking the wrong way. how to explain what I mean. So I stitch up the block as I always have with paper on. But you mean that after it is all put together in a 6.5 block, I am to keep all papers on? What if I have to square off or steam iron? sorry to be so obtuse, I just want to do it the right way. I always took mine off when block is done. I find it so fun to rip off the paper and discover that your little artwork has worked out. (and just fun to rip, lol)

Yes, you need to leave the papers on to mail them...trust me, you will have plenty of fun ripping off the papers on everyone else's blocks! LOL! Most people prefer to stitch the finished blocks together with papers on, which is why we have that rule. I, like you, will remove the papers before I stitch finished blocks together, but we are the minority here girlfriend! It's actually very easy to square up the blocks with the papers on...turn to the pattern side and square up and trim...walla! I use water and such...sometimes the block papers are a bit wrinkled, but that's okay. (ps...had to change my color so we didn't have this constant pink thing going on)