Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   BOOM 17 Sign-ups OPEN! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-17-sign-ups-open-t280335.html)

sewbizgirl 07-29-2016 02:51 PM

It will be OK Francie... don't overthink it. I'm new too so mine will be on the backs right along with yours... LOL. But seriously, maybe something we send will end up being someone's favorite. The paint chips actually make it easier, because you have the right colors there in your hand and you can pull matching fabrics from your stash more easily. Maybe we should all do paint chips! Bonnie Hunter uses them for her mystery quilts every year, so I am used to using them.

I can't wait to start... only two more days to know how many will be in our Opal group. I wanna make blocks!

Kassaundra 07-29-2016 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7614372)
It will be OK Francie... don't overthink it. I'm new too so mine will be on the backs right along with yours... LOL. But seriously, maybe something we send will end up being someone's favorite. The paint chips actually make it easier, because you have the right colors there in your hand and you can pull matching fabrics from your stash more easily. Maybe we should all do paint chips! Bonnie Hunter uses them for her mystery quilts every year, so I am used to using them.

I can't wait to start... only two more days to know how many will be in our Opal group. I wanna make blocks!

If you can do a Bonnie Hunter block you have NOTHING to worry about!

Janice McC 07-29-2016 03:42 PM

Way to go, Libster. :)

Originally Posted by Libster (Post 7614167)
Don't panic, Francie. You'll do just fine. It's not complicated at all. You choose the block you feel comfortable making with well constructed seams (1/4") and the correct size block (12 1/2" unfinished). Just try your best to use colors requested by the fabric owner. It can be as simple or as complicated a pattern as you're comfortable making, your choice totally. Don't stress, just relax and have fun with it. For me, getting a 12 1/2" block size is the most important aspect of the whole process. Any pattern that I choose, I always make a block for myself first to be sure it comes out right.
You've just got "first time" jitters. That'll pass quickly when you have the F8s in hand and begin. Don't forget pictures. We LOVE them! If you run into a snag or have a question, just ask, someone on here will always get back to you pretty fast.
We all had our first Boom so we all understand. Smile!

Janice McC 07-29-2016 03:50 PM

All will be well. Ultimately, you are just making blocks that you think your fellow members will like. Most people will add color requests so just try to keep those in mind and make a block you will enjoy making.

sewbizgirl 07-29-2016 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7614375)

LOL :D.... I've been doing the 1930's Farmers Wife blocks with that group on the board, but we are coming to an end. So this timing is perfect. I learned PP to do those blocks, and some of them are G-N-A-R-L-Y. But so pretty... mine have been coming out at 6.25", so I'm going to see if I can get a 12.5" block by printing the paper pieces at 200%.

travelinggramma 07-29-2016 04:41 PM

YEA - finally got my fabric ironed and cut, instructions printed and all bagged in my old baggies with my name on it. I have been hearing that people are sending 20 - but I thought we only need to send 19??

Billi 07-29-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 7614435)
YEA - finally got my fabric ironed and cut, instructions printed and all bagged in my old baggies with my name on it. I have been hearing that people are sending 20 - but I thought we only need to send 19??

You are correct TG I actually had 20 bagged then thought it through for a second. ooops I'm #20

Billi 07-29-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 7614153)
Good night nurse! This is sounding complicated! I fear I won't live up to the standard...guess I'll see my blocks on the backs of all the quilts..

Originally Posted by Libster (Post 7614167)
Don't panic, Francie. You'll do just fine. It's not complicated at all. You choose the block you feel comfortable making with well constructed seams (1/4") and the correct size block (12 1/2" unfinished). Just try your best to use colors requested by the fabric owner. It can be as simple or as complicated a pattern as you're comfortable making, your choice totally. Don't stress, just relax and have fun with it. For me, getting a 12 1/2" block size is the most important aspect of the whole process. Any pattern that I choose, I always make a block for myself first to be sure it comes out right.
You've just got "first time" jitters. That'll pass quickly when you have the F8s in hand and begin. Don't forget pictures. We LOVE them! If you run into a snag or have a question, just ask, someone on here will always get back to you pretty fast.
We all had our first Boom so we all understand. Smile!

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7614202)
Oh no not complicated at all, every fabric will have general guidelines for color / fabric included w/ the fabric, so you can refer back to it easily w/o having to "memorize" it all. Most all color requests will have an "easy" option, like for mine not everyone has teal blue in their stash, so there is the option of wow fabric.

I generally start w/ the "no brainers" the ones who want wow or black, unless inspired by a specific idea.

I LOVE the design aspect so usually do many different blocks, but making the same block or two is perfectly lovely and fine, they end up looking different w/ everyone's fabric and colors, besides they are all going to different homes so they are getting a unique block.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7614375)

Originally Posted by Janice McC (Post 7614411)
All will be well. Ultimately, you are just making blocks that you think your fellow members will like. Most people will add color requests so just try to keep those in mind and make a block you will enjoy making.

See Francie and all of our other unnerved newbies I promise we are actually pretty easy to please we just get all excited and sometimes it looks impossible. Start with the F8 you feel most comfortable working with, it may be because it's the easiest color request, or you like it, or maybe for some reason it calls to you. Make that one first once you get one or two done it will get easier.

Ask questions if you need to either on the thread that will be dedicated to that swap or PM the fabric owner or Email Janice... I swear everything can be worked out.

Just breath, join in on the group chatter when you can, relax and have fun.

moonwork42029 07-29-2016 06:29 PM

Except for me... I'm a mean grouchy pain the the patootie to deal with.... I'll tell you "no" on everything and make you toe the line!

I did one of those "tests" on facebook the other day to see what NCIS character you "are". LOL I got "GIBBS"...not a single person in my facebook family/friends argued that point. Kinda made me tear up with happiness until I thought... is that one of "Gibbs rules"? l.. Almost had to bop the back of my own head.

Kassaundra 07-29-2016 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 (Post 7614514)
Except for me... I'm a mean grouchy pain the the patootie to deal with.... I'll tell you "no" on everything and make you toe the line!

I did one of those "tests" on facebook the other day to see what NCIS character you "are". LOL I got "GIBBS"...not a single person in my facebook family/friends argued that point. Kinda made me tear up with happiness until I thought... is that one of "Gibbs rules"? l.. Almost had to bop the back of my own head.

I did one of those FB personality tests, that said it was a real psychologic tool used by professionals. It said I was a sociopath that should seek immediate professional help.