Quilt for Alu

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I am not an expert but after making a few of these signature blocks I've figured out a few important things: 1.) it is hard to write on the fabric 2.) its hard to know where the 1/4 inch seam allowance really is when writing.

I decided to fix the writing issues. I dry ironed the white fabric onto freezer paper and then cut out the 3 1/2 inch square. On the paper side, I marked the 1/4 inch seam allowance with a bright red or pink sharpie.

I wrote whatever I wanted onto the white fabric (staying in the seam lines because I learned after the first one I made).

I shortened my stitch length to 1.5 and sewed the rest of the block as directed. The 1.5 stitch length made the paper really easy to remove.

This sounds really more elaborate than necessary but I found it far easier to write on the stabilized fabric and it actually saved me time. If I were to make a block and not write on it, I wouldn't have done the stabilizing thing.
If you use packing tape on the back of the fabric it won't move when you write on it. then all you do is peel the tape off. easy pessy!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I'm so glad I read these suggestions. I have had a terrible time trying to write on the fabric! I will try the tape. It can't hurt. I am mailing 3 blocks tomorrow, and will try to make some extras. I was thinking it was going to take a whole lot of patches for a good size quilt. Thanks everyone! I learn something every time I check this site.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Me too!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM

My frustration in getting the sashing to look right on the quilt I am trying to finish has a bright side. I was able to finish several more blocks for Alu's quilt. I'm going to try to finish the pile I've cut before mailing.

I noticed that this particular topic doesn't have a lot of "traffic". Maybe a post under the Main category would generate more blocks for the quilt?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by lab fairy
My frustration in getting the sashing to look right on the quilt I am trying to finish has a bright side. I was able to finish several more blocks for Alu's quilt. I'm going to try to finish the pile I've cut before mailing.

I noticed that this particular topic doesn't have a lot of "traffic". Maybe a post under the Main category would generate more blocks for the quilt?
Yes, but I think maybe it is a surprise. :-)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM

count me in! :)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM

I will do one How will you keep her from finding out
Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 PM

You know it might be frunny if we also sent one with the collages from out state like Texas UT long Horn or A & M. they could go on the back
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM

I would like to make a suggestion since there doesn't seem to be so many people doing this. Maybe we could make a siggie block and then send a few 3.5 squares to make a it 9 patch scrappy quilt. Or just make the 9 patch with the siggie as the center block and then send it. That would also help Gwyn get the quilt done soon enough to go off to college with Alu.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 PM

I know I'm speaking blasphemy here. I live in the Austin area, don't like sports much, and ... this is terrible ... went to Oklahoma Universities. Although my kids are at Texas Tech (one is working on graduate reseach with Texas A&M and going to graduate school at Tech and the other is working on his bachelors), I think I'll spare Alu the "Texas" fabric.