Quilt for Alu

Old 06-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Count me in. :D
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Write me in to help out!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM

I've finished seven (which does not sound like very many) and will be mailing tomorrow. I will be happy to make some more if these "pass mustard" as my kids used to say.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 PM

They are just wonderful. Make as many as you want. I got started and it is going to take a whole bunch to cover a bed. Thanks for your help, Gwyn
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM

I will make a few. Where is she going to school?? Penn State is Blue and White!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Actually she is going to Elmhurst in Ill. I guess it is a private college. The colors are blue and white and her favorite colors are blue and purple. Thanks k.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Ok then I won't use my Penn State Fabrics. HAHA that would be funny. she might be thrown out.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM

I am not an expert but after making a few of these signature blocks I've figured out a few important things: 1.) it is hard to write on the fabric 2.) its hard to know where the 1/4 inch seam allowance really is when writing.

I decided to fix the writing issues. I dry ironed the white fabric onto freezer paper and then cut out the 3 1/2 inch square. On the paper side, I marked the 1/4 inch seam allowance with a bright red or pink sharpie.

I wrote whatever I wanted onto the white fabric (staying in the seam lines because I learned after the first one I made).

I shortened my stitch length to 1.5 and sewed the rest of the block as directed. The 1.5 stitch length made the paper really easy to remove.

This sounds really more elaborate than necessary but I found it far easier to write on the stabilized fabric and it actually saved me time. If I were to make a block and not write on it, I wouldn't have done the stabilizing thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM

When I made mine, I just layed them on some fine sandpaper, and it made the writing pretty easy. It keeps them from shifting around.

From the siggy swap, the other thing I learned was that I had to move my needle over about 2 "hairs" from the pencil mark on my squares, and then when I pressed them back, they came out pretty good. Still had to square them up a little, but they were big enough that way.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Peggy: Your squares arrived today. Sorry, I can't find your website name. Thank you, they are perfect.
Glad to help! Its a big change for her, so hope this will help her know we are rooting for her!