Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9 49 58 59 60 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2169

Thread: Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    Would you be able to use navy colored knit fabric ? I have some that's dark navy that was in a scrap bag I bought at a yard sale and it has a slick feel to it but no sheen so I'm asssuming it's knit?
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Blog Entries
    I want to make a crazy quilt, but only have cottons

I seem to have scraps growing in my sewing room, so will enjoy the tips and idea. Thanx for a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by sewred View Post
    Would you be able to use navy colored knit fabric ? I have some that's dark navy that was in a scrap bag I bought at a yard sale and it has a slick feel to it but no sheen so I'm asssuming it's knit?
    I've never made a crazy quilt before. Can anyone comment on knits in crazy quilts?
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't use knits, but I know they are practically indestructible? LOL! I'm in love with 100% cotton fabrics for all quilting...I would think that using different kinds of fabrics would make the quilt more difficult wearable-wise??? I've heard you should use the same kinds of fabrics in a project. The real old fashioned crazy quilts had limited options, so they used what they had, period, but many fabrics wore out faster than others. Just a thought, but a person can do whatever they want, right? Good luck! .
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
    I've never made a crazy quilt before. Can anyone comment on knits in crazy quilts?
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    I've made crazy quilt jackets and vests using cottons only. on the pillows, I've mixed my fabs. I made a cute pillow out of my sons jeans and shirts when he was a baby, came out really cute. my jackets and vests were purely cotton, then embellished with cotton emb floss and beads of al types. on my black white and red jacket, I did use silver lame, backed with a fusible interfacing, to make it the same wt. as the rest of the cottons.

Blog Entries
    Sewcrafty has been educating me on crazy quilts for awhile now LOL Usually they involve all sorts of fabrics from silk to velvet to cordoroy. I think you could put anything you want in them. the idea is to have as much variety as possible and then to add embellishments over the fabrics.

So if you want to use knit I don't see why not. the fabrics will vary in thickness anyway.

Blog Entries
    I have some scraps, so this next mailing time/swap time is for bags of scraps correct? I can fill easily a priority mail envelope without any trouble. Will do. Put me in on this one again. Thank you. I am in the process of collecting up more sewing items in a box for the beginning of July swap as well.
    As for the crazy quilt. In the early 1400s and such, they used all sorts of fabrics and embellishments for their crazy quilts. That is where the traditional way of doing a crazy started. It is what they had in abundance and the more elaborate the more prominent you were. I personally enjoy my all cotton crazy quilts with a muslin foundation. I like how they wear better. So to answer your question as stated by others, it is your choice on what you want to do. If you are not going to use it very much, then do the fancy with embellishments. If going to use, then do the all cottong without the extra embellishments.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Thank you for the responses on the crazy quilt. I said I'd make my cousin a wedding quilt of some kind and inquired what colors she liked. She likes blues and greens and has a preference for crazy quilts apparently. I wasn't going to do it but realized I could probably QAYG a crazy quilt easily and that it really wouldn't be anymore piecing than other patterns I was considering. I'll use machines for the decorative stitching. I have wool plaid scraps, some sateen, corduroy scraps, and I might be able to come up with some red veluor. So, I might as well try knit too. Sewred, if we are partners I'd be happy to try the knit. Trading scraps with somebody will help offer the variety mentioned. I'm not going to try to make a bed quilt size I don't think. I don't have enough time. They'll have to settle for a lap quilt.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewred View Post
    Thank you Rhonda for the lovely goodies! I recieved a dishtowel that looks like a dress it has a quilted topper. A checkbook cover thatis made from measuring tape fabic! Some stickers and a measuring tape that is a star!
    I'm glad you liked everything Sewred! The dishtowel has a Sunbonnet Sue Bonnet on the top. The checkbook I made. I thought that fabric was so appropriate for a quilter.

Blog Entries
    I'll be posting the scrap swap sign up on June 15th. It will be a scrap swap. You can confer with your partner as to how much and what kind of scraps to send. Everybody has diff needs so I'll leave that up to you all.

I'll try to add in the names I've seen so far but you might have to remind me when I post the actual sign up.

I just posted a pic of a hobo bag that I made and I used some of the scraps from a scrap swap in this thread. The purples and lavenders worked out great.

Blog Entries
    I have pink and white 9 patch blocks to trade. after making a few, decided im going to do a log cabin

Blog Entries
    So it evaded my mind yesterday. Was busy taking my online classes and exams. Here is what I received Monday from Vanogay!!!!! LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! Will be used for sure when I go to my quilting group and take it to work.
    Name:  vanogay.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  51.7 KBName:  vanogay1.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  45.7 KBshe also gave me a magazine. She filled the pockets with a cutting mat, a rotary cutter, and the tissues so I can wipe the tears from eyes when I get to look at it and use it because of my sentimental heart. Oh thank you vanogay. It is totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Ladies, do any of you have the McCalls Quilting magazine from April/May 2006? I am looking for Part one of the five part series for that pattern. I could buy the whole pattern, but I already have the other four parts which I took out of the magazine. I just can't find that one.

Blog Entries
    momma, sorry, can't help u there.
    i'm going to make a log cabin out of pink and white with 2 1/2" logs. I don't know how big yet, time will tell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Ladies, do any of you have the McCalls Quilting magazine from April/May 2006?
    Sorry QM...I looked through all the ones I have and not one you wanted. :-(
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Scraps

I wanted to show you a picture of what I received yesterday. I have bronchitis, and was taking a nap. I wasn't going to answer the door, but my bephew did and said a lady was asking for me. She's a former student of mine, that said she had some" scraps " that she was going to throw away!!!!, and then, remembered that I might like them. She is a person who likes to only work on one project at a time. and there is fabric left from another project, she gets rid of it, so she only has fabric to make 1 quilt at a time. (Now, she didn't learn this from me!)
    She brought in 2 trash bags full of these "scraps", some of which were over 6 yards or more of the same fabric! I think I easily received over $350 or more in fabric! I am still washing and ironing it it all. There were a few actual scraps, but the fabric is beautiful and there were a lot of neutrals, which I really needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Lucky you! Looks like you can start many projects with this batch of fabrics
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    What a blessing GD! Lots of sewing in your future!!

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of things I found on Pinterest

httpkittyandmedesigns.blogspot.jp201108winter-crazy-quilt-project-2011-2012.html

Not scrappy but this is so beautiful I just had to show you!!

Name:  httpkittyandmedesigns.blogspot.jp201108winter-crazy-quilt-project-2011-2012.html.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  50.1 KB

This is a great scrappy

Name:  Jeanneke.com_Lucky_in_Love' (1).JPG
Views: 178
Size:  85.2 KB

And another one I really liked alot!

Name:  717906f700c6671e84964148f3dc08f9.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  39.4 KB

Blog Entries

Scrap swap

Here is the newest SCRAP SWAP!

MAIL DATE IS --- JUNE 28 please let me know if you have any problems

Please include what you have to swap and what you are looking for when you sign up. I will do my best to match you up. If you don't have a preference post that too.

Blog Entries
    Okay surely someone has been playing with scraps lately!! Anyone got anything to show? Even if it's something you've done in the past. We need some more pictures!!!

Here are a couple of my doll quilts I made for the DQ Swap
    Name:  Sampler 2.bmp
Views: 222
Size:  641.7 KB

Name:  Doll Qult 007 9999.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  48.6 KB

These two I was blessed to receive in the Doll Quilt Swap
    They are two of my favorites. Tho they are all my favorites LOL
    Name:  Strip DQ.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  Rachael xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  40.4 KB

Blog Entries
    nice show and tells, nice quilts scraps and quiltermomma, love that kitty case, if eer you get tired of it, you have my address to send it to. I love it

Blog Entries
    Goldendog, you are a lucky, lucky girl to get all the fabric "scraps".
    Ronda

Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9 49 58 59 60 69 ... LastLast