Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Repeat a Boom NEw New New - Signups Closed

INFORMATION: OK here are a few things for us to think about. I will be returning from Australia on FEb. 2. I figure that if we all have our F8's ready to go with the return envelops that we could have them to me by February 18. I should be able to have a list of names by Feb. 3. Then we need to decide if we want two months or three months to complete our blocks and then send back. That would mean that if we pick two months then finished blocks would need to be back to me by April 30th. If we pick three months...it would be May 31. We can think about this for the next month and then decide. I will go with what the majority want.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

LOL I am in the midst of setting or restoring my home back in order. My daughter moved out after 2 1/2 years of being unemployed. She has a great job now and found a place for her and my grandson to move to. She was living in my living room as her bedroom and so now I have to restore my living room to a living room. My son is helping me with polishing the floors and moving the furniture and all that kind of stuff. So I haven't thought about the material I want to use for this boom. I better start looking. LOL. I think when I decide I will post it on here and the pattern I want, so that all of you will have an idea. I might even make up one square so that you can see what it is like. Don't worry, I will pick something very simple....no complications. LOL. They have some beautiful easy ones on Quilter's Cache.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

What does 'boom' mean?

Actually it is abbreviated for boomarang, which is a toy from Australia that you throw and it comes back to you. Everyone just shortened it to Boom.

Ok I think I will try this one.pmd you.

Got your PM Linda. Ok I do have the downstairs almost put back together. I can at least sew. I am going to decide on my pattern today and make up one block and then post it in here . Nice to get some ideas for all to see. I am not sure that I have enough material to share with all so I will check that out too. LOL. If not I will make another. I have lots in my stash and if none of that works.........hmmmmmm......I think I will just have to go out and buy some.

Barb

I've chosen my block! :-) It favors using scraps, so I hope everyone can use fabric they have to compliment what I send and not need to buy anything.

Sounds good. I'd like to join. PMing my info. . . GP
    Create A Great Day ! ! ! !
    MQB-3 / RAB-2 / Booms 11 & 13 / Projects
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members/groovy-pieces-u129541-albums.html

This is just a sample of what one can do. I do not have enough of the tea cup fabric so I will not be using this but it can give you an idea. Also the pattern I picked is very simple but there are many that make stars which are simple and not paper pieced. Perhaps we should let each other know what pattern we are leaning toward to see if we all feel confident in making it. I am ok with any pattern except paper piecing.
    Ok the sample. I picked the Pennslyvania block from Quilter's Cache. I then lookd at my material and came up with two colors that I liked and would be ok having people do either one. Here is that example of that.

Name:  DSC_0428.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  816.2 KBName:  DSC_0429.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  1.39 MB

Now this is the block all finished. I choose the lighter color but dark is fine too.
    Name:  DSC_0430.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  1.10 MB

Remember I will not be using this fabric as I do not have enough to send out to 12 people (actually 11 as you should make one of your own.) I will be picking something else (sigh: decisions decisions) Maybe I will find something in Australia.......pricey there but they do have some different fabrics.

Barb

Barb, If you don't buy Australian fabric, you could take some pictures of it. Or pictures of a fabric shop you visited. Not the same as hands-on, but still fun to remember later. :-)

The block I'd like is all straight seams, mostly just triangles sewn into squares. If it's ok with everyone, I'll plan to send the basket fabric. That's my plan, let me know if it's ok! Here is the pattern I like: http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BasketofChipsBlock.html

I have picked my block it is called paper pinwheels .It is very easy I make it all the time. I like the block you picked urgodschild2 I have made it many times.

I love what you both have picked out. I am not going to be doing Pennsylvania as that will be for the fabric I used as an example. I still haven't decided on my material or the pattern yet. Too many decisions. LOL.

Blog Entries
    I am going to do an Americana-themed quilt with red & blue pinwheels on a white background. I have a few blocks I'm debating in my head (all pretty easy) and am thinking I want to ask everyone to add reds & blues. I'm going to send white background fabric so that all of the background is consistent behind the pinwheels.
    Mischief Managed.

sounds good!!

MamaHauser that sounds really pretty. I have lots of reds and blues.

I have found the block I like. going to make a sample to see how it comes out. thinking of getting enough blocks to make a quilt for my #1 granddaughter and her partner.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Nelda, The 12 blocks from this boom should make a nice amount. You can sash them, set them on point, and make a good sized border and end up with quite a big top!

Hello everyone, We have 10 people so far. We only need two more but we still have 6 weeks to go before we get going. I am excited about this. I went to Vegas yesterday with a friend. No not to gamble but to pick up the two most adorable puppies from someone coming in from Florida. My friend was getting them from a friend in Florida.
    I took a picture with my phone and since my daughter moved out I don't have the wifi thingy Gonna have to get that as my icloud doesn't work. Sigh. Glad to be back home and oh darn JoAnn's has a 50% off coupon so of course I need to go buy batting. Whoooooooo hoooo. Off in my Santa sleigh. (My car is red)

Yes, I noticed the batting was on sale at JoAnn's so I couldn't use the coupon.... then I saw that the batting on the roll (not pre-packaged) wasn't on sale, so I could use my coupon on that! :-) I always use those coupons, even if it's only for thread.

Blog Entries
    I have all of my stuff packed up and ready to mail. Is it time to mail? Can I mail early?

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I am sending out background white fabric and asking everyone to add red and blue (patriotic, Americana, or something similar) and make pinwheels. I did a sheet with 4 different (easy) pinwheel designs as suggestions but I'm open to ANY pinwheel design. I want to have a variety and I'm not set on any one design in particular.
    Mischief Managed.

I thought we had to wait until we had 12 people joining in before we were going to begin... I didn't get my fabric yet! :-)

Blog Entries
    I knew what I wanted and I've got bolts of white laying around. I look for simple tasks like cutting & stuffing envelopes to do while I've got the long-arm running... so I got it done while I was finishing my son's christmas present yesterday.
    Mischief Managed.

I think we should wait until Feb. Sorry THeMamaHauser. The reason being that if people mail early, I may not be home due to being in Australia and we all know how sons can be about receiving packages. I may not find where he puts them. LOL. Well I went to JoAnn's and figured out if I bought the whole bolt of cotton that it was on sale but I had a 25% coupon on everything you buy and so I paid $80 for 25 yds over buying it by the yard at $18.00 with the 50% coupon. So I saved over $200 dollars. I love good sales like that. Have to do the math tho.

Yikes...Christmas is just around the corner and I am still trying to get things done. (sigh) Back to work. Hope all of you are doing fine and getting ready for Feb. Picking out your pattern and such. LOL.

Today I am off to celebrate a dear lady who turns 100 tomorrow. Yep she is a quilter and still quilts. Mary belongs to our guild and her family is having a lovely party at our town's community center. Her daughter is our Mayor. Should be fun.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast