Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare
What if a person's theme is the log cabin block and you do not know how to do that?
have a look at 'you tube', here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/

i find this is fantastic for learning absolutely ANYTHING!!!. it doesn't matter what you're looking for, it has it on there.
my daughter and i even learned how to 'yodel' on this site LOL!!!

for exmple, put into the search bar at the top of the 'you tube' page;
'log cabin quilting'
and it will come up with all sorts to do with log cabins, such as 'tutorials' etc...
the same goes for anything else.
when i wanted to learn 'hand quilting' i used 'you tube' rather than pay £30 to attend a qroup. and you can replay it time & time again, until you're happy!!
have a look!
and HAVE FUN!!!
love jacquie xxxxx
Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM

I like the idea that if I can't do a block like what someone has chose that I am able to pick up fabric that will go with that theme. Makes it feel less stressful for sure. :-)

I'm in. ;-)
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 AM

I am new to quilting and I do not know how to do paper piecing or some of the blocks people are wanting. I am intimidated. I also do not know what the 30's print or theme is. I know that I have allegies, so I will have to talk with bookworm. I am scared! Would the sashing be included in the size of row we are to make?
It's OK.....everyone in the swap will be available to help each other out :D When someone says that they are going with a theme of "30s prints" or "civil war prints" they are talking about the type of fabric they are using. Some themes are like "Flowers" where you just pick something flowery. But there are fabrics that have there own theme like "30s" or "civil war reproductions". Just go to your local Quilt shop or fabric store and ask to see their "Civil War Prints" or "30s prints" and they will know exactly what you mean. If they don't carry them, just post and someone can help you. :D Remember that the point is for everyone to have A GREAT TIME!!!! :lol:
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM

What if a person's theme is the log cabin block and you do not know how to do that?
I'm a new quilter (but an "old" sewer) and the way I look at it, if I get assigned a style or type of block that I don't know it will be my opportunity to learn.

The internet is full of free patterns - all I have to do is Google. And if I need a tutorial, there are tons on this site as well as on YouTube.

That's just the way that I'm choosing to look at it. It will be an adventure!

Originally Posted by jacquie
LOL... we'll have to watch you two!!
double trouble in the making!!!!

tut tut tut... go to the back of the class!!!
:wink: :roll: :-D :-D
Although I did already get sent to the back of the class... so maybe you shouldn't listen to me! :shock: :mrgreen: :shock:
Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Would the sashing be included in the size of row we are to make?
I would think that the sashing (if you chose to have it) would NOT be counted in the size she gave. Each row is to be 12 1/2 inches "tall" which would be a 12 inch block unfinished.....meaning that it has 1/4 inch allowance on the top and bottom when you recieve it so that when it has rows put on top and bottom, the block(s) will be 12 inches. Gosh....I guess that is about as clear as mud :oops: Maybe someone can explain it better if you are still confused.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
I would think that the sashing (if you chose to have it) would NOT be counted in the size she gave. Each row is to be 12 1/2 inches "tall" which would be a 12 inch block unfinished.....meaning that it has 1/4 inch allowance on the top and bottom when you recieve it so that when it has rows put on top and bottom, the block(s) will be 12 inches. Gosh....I guess that is about as clear as mud :oops: Maybe someone can explain it better if you are still confused.
I agree, the sashing is addition to the blocks, not part of the blocks. The blocks themselves need to be the correct size.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Yup sashing is in addition.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm glad taht you all clarified that because I was thinking 12 1/2 w/sashing!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 AM

i agree with this with one exception. "which would be a 12 inch block unfinished"-- it will be a 12 inch block finished, not unfinished as stated. sorry, i am not trying to be picky but some of us are already confused. :thumbup:

regarding the issue of not knowing as much as others or trying new things.... we are all here to have fun. jump in, try your best, ask lots of questions, check out your local shops - they are lots of help, check the internet. my theme is giraffes. i know that could be difficult so will be very happpy with any blocks/rows that are related. ie:african scenes, pieced blocks with fabric/colors that are giraffe or safari related. my first row will be blocks from a panel. keep it as simple for you as necessary. they all will be beautiful. you go quilter!! :wink:
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
i agree with this with one exception. "which would be a 12 inch block unfinished"-- it will be a 12 inch block finished, not unfinished as stated. sorry, i am not trying to be picky but some of us are already confused. :thumbup:

regarding the issue of not knowing as much as others or trying new things.... we are all here to have fun. jump in, try your best, ask lots of questions, check out your local shops - they are lots of help, check the internet. my theme is giraffes. i know that could be difficult so will be very happpy with any blocks/rows that are related. ie:african scenes, pieced blocks with fabric/colors that are giraffe or safari related. my first row will be blocks from a panel. keep it as simple for you as necessary. they all will be beautiful. you go quilter!! :wink:
Good thing you picked up on that. Yes, it's 12 1/2 inches UNfinished and 12 inches FINISHED.