Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016 >

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Old 12-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Since we have another week, what say we all share some more Christmas memories?

Who remembers listening to carols on Christmas Eve on the local radio station -- and they'd break in every now and then with updates on where Santa was in his trip around the world? What fun those days were!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM

On Christmas Eve our kiddos would watch 6 o'clock weather forecast to see where Santa was currently delivering & learned some European geography. At midnight mass, all the kids would be discussing it in between their choir songs! On the way home afterward, binoculars were used to spot Santa. The manger in the yards calmed them down & we usually had to lug them up to bed.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by lovethemgreys View Post
Nothing has shown up in my mailbox yet. Hoping it arrives soon as I leave for our Texas home on Wednesday.
Ouch! Sorry you are on the bench. Do you have a neighbour who can forward the package if it doesn't arrive in time? T'would be a shame to miss out on opening day.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:06 PM

OK, this will date me, but here goes. I grew up in a small mill town with just working class folk. At Christmas we all gathered in the community gym and sang carols with a piano accompanist, the adults told stories, and then Santa would show up with his bag of goodies. Each child got a plain brown paper bag which contained an apple, an orange, some unshelled nuts, hard Christmas candy and a candy cane. It wasn't much, but when you really don't have a lot to begin with, it was the best!
Old 12-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Quilty-Louise praying for you, but it take time. It will happen in time and Thank God everyday for your healing . In Jesus Name.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by djmat View Post
RoseIrish, your daughter really set a pretty table & dressed well to host the holidays!!! Bless your heart!
Our boy went to God in 2008 & in my mind I still see & hear his delights as he decorated the yard & house with Christmas lights especially when people would do break checks to see his work there. I still have the giant bulb made from clear plastic shot glasses with colorful lights to cheer the season. Great memories!
hugs,
dj
i lost my son in june 2015. My best Xmas memories of him was the year he decided he was going to make an apple pie from scratch. He looked up the recipes for pie crust and apple pie filling on the internet and slaved away. the pie turned out great and disappeared quickly on Xmas day. He did admit that the next year he would just buy one from the store.
I miss licking out the bowl when he makes French silk pies, miss his chicken tenders, breaded pork chops and beef stroganoff. He was surely a better cook than i am.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:11 AM

Growing up, Christmas eve was magical. My grandparents were florists. We all worked on that really busy day.(There were six of kids.) My dad delivered for them. He would be the last one done. Whoever he chose to go with him would help him pick out something for mom's gift. He would stop and buy White Castles. Back then you didn't eat fast food like we do now. When we got home Santa had stopped by with a chocolate candy bar and new pjs. We had the chocolate for desert and then had our baths and put on the new pjs. Then we all piled into to my parents bed and dad read the "Night Before Christmas". Since we were up past our bedtimes, we were told to stay in bed in the morning until our parents were up. My younger brother would always wake us up around 5. We would hold his legs as he crawled down the steps to tell us what Santa had brought after we went to bed. My dad later told us that that part was his favorite memories. "Somebody got a bike, I see a radio, etc." Lots of giggles and laughter cause we thought we were pulling something. LOL!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
OK, this will date me, but here goes. I grew up in a small mill town with just working class folk. At Christmas we all gathered in the community gym and sang carols with a piano accompanist, the adults told stories, and then Santa would show up with his bag of goodies. Each child got a plain brown paper bag which contained an apple, an orange, some unshelled nuts, hard Christmas candy and a candy cane. It wasn't much, but when you really don't have a lot to begin with, it was the best!
Evie, what special memories! My dear dad was a "Depression baby" and every Christmas after my brother and I had opened our gifts, he'd tell us "When I was a kid we were so poor that one Christmas all I got was a dime and an orange." Happy memories.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 AM

When I was a single Mom of two daughters, I would put several candy canes on the tree. I noticed there were less canes after a few days. The girls would take the canes from the front and so I would not notice, they would move the ones from the back to the front. I still noticed. One of these daughters passed this last April and I wish I could give her a candy cane and a hug. I think of her often.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM

When I was little, there was a local fireman (maybe the fire chief?) who would dress up as Santa and go around to houses of friends and visit their kids. Usually in exchange for a bottle of whisky. My parents didn't drink or buy alcohol, but he would still come to our house and bring little gifts for all of us (five kids spread out 18 years). Our front door had a glass window on the top, but I was too short to see out. When he would leave, my older siblings would stand looking out that window and tell me that they could see him flying away in his sleigh. Of course, by the time I could climb the couch and see out the picture window, Santa would be gone. I was about 5 when I figured Santa out, so they didn't get to do it to me for too many years, but they had fun with it while they could.

Then we got to do the same to my 5-years-younger-than-me little brother