Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016 >

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM

I'll jump in here and say that though I like to send lots of gifts, I do try to stick to the $20. I pick up things on sale throughout the year just for swaps. And if I have something in my stash that I'm not using but think my Santee will enjoy, I'll add that to the box. I know many here hit the dollar stores for fun little extras. And of course, many will include a homemade treasure which you can't put a price tag on. It all adds up to a nice full box.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 PM

I have been in this swap for 3-4 years now and I know things in life happen as it did to me this year. I have been battling breast cancer and thru radiation and treatments I was able to put together a wonderful package for my swappee, I don't expect anyone to go as overboard as I do, but just following the rules.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 AM

Redstillettos I just want you know, I have met a few other members, none of which has been paired up with me in an exchange. When the exchanges are set up, no concern is given as to who knows who. All of my swap partners have been very kind strangers and I like to think they liked my gifts as much as the ones I received. Who ever sent the unfortunate gifts probably feels really bad about all of this. He/She will probably not participate again after all the backlash. Again I would like to believe it was some kind of misunderstanding or mix up. There are thousands of members here and this is the first time I have seen something like this.

I hope you all get everything you need and at least one thing you want for the Holidays, however you observe them. Peace
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 AM

I do have to say, this is the best board on the internet.....and that is of course because of all the wonderful, kind, and thoughtful members. My experience in swaps at other locations have been often hostile and cruel. I'm done with them. But love this group. Everyone tries to do their best, and our wonderful monitors keep us from straying too. It all works together. I joined this April and can count many of you as friends....thanks for being there. Let's have a great 2017!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by marcialee View Post
I have been in this swap for 3-4 years now and I know things in life happen as it did to me this year. I have been battling breast cancer and thru radiation and treatments I was able to put together a wonderful package for my swappee, I don't expect anyone to go as overboard as I do, but just following the rules.
Marcialee, I am so sorry for what you are going through. {{Hugs}} That must be difficult. I have been dealing with a cancer scare myself and have been undergoing tests, so I have been distracted to say the least. I have also had a bad case of sinusitis, an ear infection, and conjunctivitis in the last couple of weeks, so I know how obstacles can get in the way of these things. There are serious health issues or medications that could impair a person's cognitive or mental ability, and let's hope that is not the case with your swap partner. This is probably an isolated situation, and the odds are good that if you take a chance again next year, you'll have a wonderful experience.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Banned

This was my 4th year of joining the SS swap. My first year gift was
not so great and made me wonder if would join again.

My second year was much better. I got a handmade patch work bear
I truly love that little bear, and my daughter has tried to steal it away
from using the guise that she wants it for the baby.

Every year since that first has been great.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM

I too stick to the $20 limit plus the 4 FQ, and of course their favorite candy; so total I am spending about $35 because I do buy my FQ's at quilt shops so it is good quality fabric, which is my choice. If I had a picture of the box I sent I would post it, but I didn't take one; however, I am sure my recipient thought I spent a lot more.

I begin making things for the next years swap right away. In fact I have a couple ideas of things I want to make for my swap partner next year so over the holidays I will probably begin my 2017 box. I always have used patterns and magazines laying around so those go in the box and are considered stash by my book. Any fun fabric that my SS likes that I have in my stash, send it. Also, I do the monthly SP swaps and sometimes I received things that I may already own, or know that I will never make myself and if I feel my SS would like those in the box they go. The one thing I do do is make sure all items are in excellent to new condition. I would never send fabric that had an odor to it or discolored. Also, I look at things to make sure my SS would actually like it and not just clean out my junk drawer.

This year there were a couple handmade items I had in her box that was on her color dislike list. Guess what, I did not send them and only had enough time to remake one of them in colors that were to her liking.

I feel it is important to remember the true spirit of this swap and that is to have fun. I have fun putting together a box for my SS and to me that is all that counts.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM

It might be a good idea for the rules to include links to past swaps to assist newbies visualizing what to send. Terri knows best & is a wonderful host!
I have yet to spend over the limit for the SS pkg by adding in more on-hand items, cutting charms in customary sizes, cool buttons, trinkets, kitchen & bath supplies, handmade items, pattern copies, something local - usually a magnet or postcard - free at the Chamber of Commerce, FQs or Fat Eighths from stock yardage, overstock sewing items to help clear out my sewing room, freebees gathered over the year, spend $20 on my Santee wish list, the 4 required new FQs, & a greeting card, all of which usually fills the box. I begin collecting & making items in January & pop it in the box. Seems to work, no complaints, yet! It was quite a learning experience for me. I am unfamiliar with any clicks on this board but I participate in various swaps so I've seen some of the names elsewhere & am happy to see them again.
I hope all the newbies know that their participation is appreciated because they give fresh ideas & it is wonderful to make new friends on the Board.
I wish you ALL a very Merry Christmas!
hugs,
dj
Old 12-22-2016, 07:11 PM

I really focus on the shipping charge. I mailed priority mail / tracking $6.80 mail bag. I addressed the package as soon as I got my person. I would rather choose items they want, and smaller items, I skip out on bulky items. I can not shop early cause I am not sure what my person will want.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 PM

I just want to take this opportunity to wish every secret Santa this year the happiest of Christmas. love you all, caring and sharing in cyber space. Thank you Teri for doing this swap every year I'm starting already too