Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!!  Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd >

Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd

Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd

Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin View Post
My SS received her box. Marilyn43, I have already started thinking about next year. This was my first time to play SS and I worry that I didn't send enough stuff. I agree with you about this board. I have been participating in the boomerang swaps for several years and I enjoy the banter and friendship offered here. This quilting community is fantastic.
Molly, if it's a gift you'd be happy to receive, then it should be enough.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MizMelly View Post

My SS box was delivered yesterday also! But my SS was Very SNEAKY and put my address on it for both the send to and return address!
She is lucky she didn't have any mistakes in your address... or your poor box would have ended up in the Dead Letter Office at the P.O.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
She is lucky she didn't have any mistakes in your address... or your poor box would have ended up in the Dead Letter Office at the P.O.
I always worry about that, as well. I'd rather use the address of a friend/relative, if I don't want to use my own.

Well, I'm gonna leave my comfy computer chair and actually do some sewing, now. My goal is to have a couple more things completed, before Christmas. At the rate I'm going . . . . Yeah, I'd best get moving!!!

Last edited by Neesie; 11-16-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by marilyn43 View Post
Do any of you start thinking about next year and what to make or pick up. I'm ready to start watching sales and looking for items to make. That's pretty bad when we haven't even celebrated our s.s. of this year. I have to share with you that I suffer from depression, I have all my life. Of course when I was young and growing up there was no information on depression and it was that you work yourself out of it and some of that is true. A few years ago I had a traumatic happening in my family and it really took hold of me. I was sent for an evaluation and found out that my neurons don't connect. It's like with a zipper there is a couple of teeth missing and the zipper won't zip up. I was put on medication and counseling which helped greatly. I quit all the crafts I was doing and taking part in, nothing interested me. If I didn't have to go to work I didn't leave the house. after I broke my pelvis this last year and had a severe reaction to morphine I almost died. This left me hollow, it messed with whole nervous system ect. One afternoon I got on the computer which I had not done in months and started looking at quilt groups and came across this one. I just want to say you ladies have made a difference in my life since I've joined. You've all been so kind and a couple I've made friends with that I keep in touch with. The Scrappy Quilt and S.S. has blessed me so much. It's gotten me back into doing what I love to do (crafts ) and not thinking about everything negative. so I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping me get out of my slump, it feels so good. God Bless All.
Marilyn, Thanks for posting about your experience with depression and how the QB has helped you. I am so glad you are here with us. I had a similar experience though it was brought on by the onset of severe rheumatoid arthritis and a total loss of being able to use my hands. I didn't think I'd ever be able to sew, crochet, or garden, my three favorite things, and was understandably depressed.

Through a series of circumstances and resultant life style changes, over time, my symptoms began to lessen and I gingerly started back on to the path of having my functioning body back. The QB and its members really motivates me when I feel like quitting. So many folk on here share and encourage each other. Troubles shared are troubles halved.

I love the camaraderie, encouragement, and friendliness I find here. I don't always participate in the chitter chatter (I am not a chatterer by nature) but I LOVE eavesdropping. LOL

I, too, want to thank all of the kind folks here on the QB. You all truly are gifts from God.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Here are a few of mine... the last pic is crochet. Something to do while we wait!
Attached Thumbnails 3255401171_9ce35d59c0.jpg   slippers-001.jpg   crocodile-stitch-booties-006.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Marilyn, so happy for you that you are feeling better! Depression is a hard thing to battle. My hubby has that problem too.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM

(Above the Hole - everyone hears the most unusual sound. They have heard it off & on throughout several days. It doesn't sound like any Santa that they ever heard or of reindeers or elves as a matter of fact. "Sshhh" says one member. Others says that it reminds them of "Gollum" from the LOTR movies. Which brave soul is going to look has the members pondering about? Upon a vote they send up the Cabana Boy. Although there was a few who disagreed that if he went up & didn't come back the members would have to make their drinks & fetch their own snacks too. With trepidation he looks out and sees no strange creature about but a poor humanoid trying to talk. He takes it's hand and heads down to the hole with promises of hot toddies, ice packs and writing supplies. The members are silent are they see the bundle in which he brings. It is slightly hunched over, covered with snow, and it a bit frazzled. One member closest to the Cabana boy jumps up and exclaims "OH NO!! You poor soul!!! A few minutes goes by before the other members come to realize that this is not some strange monster but Quercus Rubra as she crawls to the fire to warm up her 10 little toes. Along with her fingers and her oh-so-cold little nose.)

Hello everyone!! Man is it cold! We finally got some measurable snow here in my neck of the woods. Well maybe an inch or two. I come to see what every is sharing here on the thread. I really like some of the recipes I see and I would love to have some of those nice thick socks everyone it talking about. I can barely knit with two straight needles and I know one stitch in crocheting. Or I would make some of them on my own. I would like to wear some that was knee high but would settle for something like a tall cuffed ankle sock as I have "very fluffy" calf muscles. LOL. Does anyone like pumpkin raisin cookies or even some scones? Here is a recipe that I love to make from Ocean Spray using their dried cranberries.

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 5-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Please feel free to add to the recipes that are being gathered. This is one that even my kids like. What is it about oatmeal & cranberries that most kids won't touch if it's in bowl form but put in a cookie and they can't get enough of them?

Today I'm going to try and eat some eggs for breakfast. I was able to do oatmeal with milk yesterday. I really want something more than Jell-o but I have to start small again as the swelling has come back. I did find a nice soup cookbook at the library the other day. There is a good selection of Creamed soups I'm going to try. I LOVE home made soup but If the mister is going to eat it ... no onions, mushrooms or tomatoes are allowed. I think I'll try making a nice potato soup for this evening. With garlic, shredded cheddar and butter. I'm going to take a break from the Jell-o and make some pudding. I use that to make taking my pills easier on the throat and at this rate I'll do what ever it takes.

I'll try in pop in later once I've made some progress on a little something that is a gift. Stay safe & warm with hugs to all.

Tricia
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Marilyn43 - it takes courage to open up like you did and you deserve so much credit for that. So many of us have suffered from depression - but because the scars usually aren't visible to others - no one knows but those closest to us. Having been in that place - and spent time many years ago on the ward where there are no shoe laces or belts allowed - I can appreciate what you are saying. It is always out there - and something you have to be mindful of so that it doesn't sneak up on you. The battle goes on.

People laugh when i say i quilt / craft for "therapy".....but it is entirely true. I work from home - and also watch my
DGD here every day - so this board is my place to come to learn, to share and for fun and "conversation".

We are not victims - we are SURVIVORS - and i'm happy for each and every one of us !!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 AM

Tricia....LOVE your story....I confess i had no idea where you were going with it.....but felt so bad for the poor "monster".... {{{{{hugs}}}}} Will put your cookie recipe in with the others. I am in SOOOO much trouble if i think i'm going to stick to WW over this holiday with all the new goodie recipes i now have to try !!

Hey.....you might want to try baked potatoes for your potato soup recipe.....it's really easy cuz you just have to wash the taters and pop them in the oven.....when done, cut in half - let cool a little and then add to your soup as normal. I think it has a richer flavor if they're baked....but that's just IMHO.

Neesie......can you tell me where you got your crocheted sock pattern you like so much???

Oh well....back to the DSM to keep working on Xmas prezzies....I am making infinity scarves for all the "girls" in the family. Got some great deals at JoAnn's on knit fabrics last week.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Here are a few of mine... the last pic is crochet. Something to do while we wait!
Awesome wrk, sewbizgirl!