Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Time!!!---MORE IMPORTANT INFO ADDED ON PAGE ONE.... REVEAL CHAT IS DECEMBER 12 @ 7PM EST >

Secret Santa Time!!!---MORE IMPORTANT INFO ADDED ON PAGE ONE.... REVEAL CHAT IS DECEMBER 12 @ 7PM EST

Secret Santa Time!!!---MORE IMPORTANT INFO ADDED ON PAGE ONE.... REVEAL CHAT IS DECEMBER 12 @ 7PM EST

Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM

I am going to stick with the $20 limit. Not because I'm not generous but because my husband is unemployed (he's a student) and I make minimal money doing daycare. Just letting anyone out there who gets my package know that it's not because I don't care but I literally can't spend more than $20.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Sounds like fun. I still believe in SANTA. Sending PM
Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 AM

The $20 limit is set because of financial hardships that some people have. Also, the suggestion of repurposing too. I know I have some things I have bought, put them in my room only to find it again and ask myself "why did I buy this?" Then I usually find someone I know that can use it...so, repurposing is a good thing.
Everyone should be grateful for what they receive. I know it makes some sad when they see that others get more, but there's nothing anyone can do. If someone wants to be a bit more generous, it happens and I'm sorry it happens.
I, for one, am one that buys little things here and there just for Secret Santa/Secret Sister and things like that. I have a box full of little things I pick up for just a few dollars where ever I go. Then when packages need to be sent out, I can be a little more generous because I've been shopping all year. Just something my Mommy taught me.

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
I will try to join also. Will pm you a little later. I hope I don't sound too grumpy saying this, but when you said in the rules section that some are "just more generous than others" it made me a little sad. I'm ok financially right now, but I know that others are hurting. The lack of generosity may be due to financial hardships not just lack of desire to do more! So saying that, I want to let you know that I think you do a great job of hosting and I for one want to THANK YOU!
Hopefully will be able to sign up a little later. Connie P
Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
I will try to join also. Will pm you a little later. I hope I don't sound too grumpy saying this, but when you said in the rules section that some are "just more generous than others" it made me a little sad. I'm ok financially right now, but I know that others are hurting. The lack of generosity may be due to financial hardships not just lack of desire to do more! So saying that, I want to let you know that I think you do a great job of hosting and I for one want to THANK YOU!
Hopefully will be able to sign up a little later. Connie P
The way the statement sounded to me "some are just more generous" was regarding if someone spent more than the limit it was that person's choice and others should not feel they have to spend more, and should try not to be envious if someone received a gift of greater value.

Maybe I have it wrong but my understanding of having a limit doesn't mean you Have to spend at least that much and more, or Even that you Have To Spend That Much, but rather you should not spend more than that. If someone sent a gift that was $17.50 that should be fine, if they spent $5 on supplies and made a gift that should be fine- especially if it would have a value of about $20. And if someone bought something on sale for 20 but its regular price is 35, would that be alright because they spent 20?
If everyone was required to spend $20 wouldn't the guideline be that the gift MUST be of $20 value.

To me the cost guideline is just a general amount so folks would be getting gifts of approximately equal value without the restriction that it MUST be x number of dollars.

Like I said maybe I have it wrong but that's how I understood the statement, and how I understand the guideline. And also to come into it with an attitude of acceptance for how it works out--as long as you receive your package. I absolutely agree that we should follow through with the commitment, excuses only for dire situations-like 6 feet under.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I sent a PM, please count me in!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Yes Starshine, you are correct.
If you find something that is WORTH $35, but you only paid $5 for it, who is to know?
If you only spend $10, that's fine too! Some people that have signed up, don't have all that much financially, but they have BIG hearts and will do what they think is right. They always do!
There's nothing wrong with finding a cute pattern, then pulling from your stash, the fabric that could make that cute pattern. Does that mean that the person has gone over the $20 limit? Well? Yes AND no...they are actually repurposing, so they really aren't spending any money but the VALUE is still there.
Clear as mud??

The limit is so that you really don't exceed that amount, but there ALWAYS will be people that do. I'm one that does that and it's something that I TRY to not do, but when it comes to gift giving, I guess I am just anxious about filling up a box and sending it out, then letting the receiver get excited. Like I said...I collect all year.....
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Just sent you a pm.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

OH NO OH NO IT'S TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippppppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

I can't wait, hope it is as fun as last year.

Sending you a PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 PM

I also am unemployed right now (since July), I shop all year so my gifts usually cost me well under any limits that have been set but they usually "retail" for over the limit. lol but I'm still a kid at heart so on the receiving end, I just like opening the present, it's the thoughtfulness that someone took the time to package it and ship it, & the excitement of opening the package.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I also am unemployed right now (since July), I shop all year so my gifts usually cost me well under any limits that have been set but they usually "retail" for over the limit. lol but I'm still a kid at heart so on the receiving end, I just like opening the present, it's the thoughtfulness that someone took the time to package it and ship it, & the excitement of opening the package.
EXACTLY!!!