Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >

September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Grandmother's flower garden is usually done by a method called English paper piecing. My daughter and I are making one. It takes a very long time. You need to figure out the finished size of your hexagon. Trace it onto the paper side of freezer paper, cut them out, iron the wax side down on fabric, making sure to leave 1/4 inch for seam allowance around each hexagon, cut the fabric around each hexagon eyeballing the extra for seam allowance. Turn the seam allowance down over the paper side of the hexagon and baste with large stitches. After they are all basted then put 2 hexagons right sides together and whip stitch. Then keep sewing and adding more hexagons to create the pattern of your choice. You will have to sew them in sort of a y seam construction. It is not hard. Very time consuming. Always leave the basting in the outer ring, all the inner ones the basting can be removed and then the papers removed. We take a sheet of computer paper and draw as many hexagons as we can, then cut a piece of wax paper the same size and run it through our printer. you want to print on the paper side. Not everyones printer will do it. The papers can be reused about 3 times. Iron with a dry iron.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM

I keep popping in, checking the board here hoping the names are up. LOL I know it isn't the first of Sept. Just can't wait to see who my swap partner is!!! So.....I'm stalking.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Personally, I don't know how Lori sorts all those names out. I know I would bald by now from pulling all my hair out....lol

We will patiently wait. It will be tough though :cry:
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Things are going very very bad! I have been matching names for 2 1/2 hours and only have 90 done! I have taken on to much with the allergies and allergens. I have to keep changing people because allergies and try to redraw another name! This is going to take some time and I will not be asking those questions next month. I can usually get all names matched in 2 hours and start letting people know. I feel like scrapping it all and do it like I always have. It is 11:45pm and I am stopping for the night. I am sorry will continue tomorrow!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM

I'm okay if you go with your old way. Thanks for hosting.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Lori, Please don't stress and go ahead and drop the allergies/allergens this month. I have allergies but I've never received anything I couldn't use. You shouldn't have to do all that extra work especially with the problems you've having.

Drop the "Allergies"! Drop the "Allergens"!
Cats and Dogs, Goats and Frogs,
We can make do, We can get through
Smells and Smoking, Candles and Croakin'...
Drop it Lori, Drop it! Three cheers for you Lori! :thumbup: (waving pom-poms madly!)

(um, where's my drum section? :oops: )
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 PM

If I get a good response in the morning I will drop it and get the names out FAST I promise! I am just so frustrated because I have worked so hard to make this special for all of you and I don't think I can do it (sniff sniff). Not a pity party but want so badly to make it special for all of you!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM

I agree, drop the allergies/allergens. It's just to much stress that you don't need right now. I know that it isn't helping back. Everyone has survived without this in the questionnaire in the past.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 PM

I agree drop the allergens/ allergies.

I agree everyone has survived without this question.

Lori thank you for all you do!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM

It IS very special, Lori. Don't make it NOT fun for you! Wish you had someone close to you to help out. Maybe you could just put in the rules that we should be aware that some people have allergies, and we have to consider that when sending a package. (It's 2 AM, maybe that is already in the rules - goodness knows, I wouldn't want to have to actually READ them right now.)