Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block  Swap (Closed) >

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by crafterbarbara
Yes, thank you. Do you design a lot of blocks? I am working on a snowman. If I am satisfied I will share it.
Well, there's really no good answer to that question. I guess I just do what is necessary! :lol:

As a baker, there are a lot of times I get asked to make a cake with a certain design on it and I am not the best frehand draw-er in the crowd. So years ago I picked up a supply of very easy coloring books with great kid-themed pages. The kind where I had the basic shape to work with and then I could embellish it on a cake until it was "right".

I find that skill to be helpful whenever I want to do a special type of applique, or some form of "picture" block or quilt. By taking a very simple shape and embellishing it, the block then becomes my own. I don't want to copy anyone's design without paying for it (I know I would be ticked off if someone was ripping off MY designs without paying for a pattern!), so I try to find free images/designs/line drawings, etc. online or in coloring books, etc., and work from those simple images.

But, if you go back through history and look at traditional quilt block patterns, you will discover that many designs have the same exact pattern with very different names. It's not that Suzie from Ohio had an idea and Becky from Indiana copied it and just re-named it, but they may have had the same idea, idependent of each other, and just called their blocks whatever they felt it should be called. Great minds think alike, sometimes.

Designing your own block can be very rewarding and I applaud those who can do it on a continuous basis. It is very fun to see your own design interpreted. Good luck with your snowman. I'm sure it will be a success for you.

Odessa
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 AM

I also prefer to design my own blocks, part of quilting is to have something no one else has even if you use the same pattern. Moosegirl
Old 04-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Can a newbie to the Board please get in this swap? I have 100's of snowmen all over my house.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Hi SewCrazy! I think sign up ended on the 15th, but you might check out the Funky Neighborhood Swap! that is really alot of fun! Also doing a Santa Swap that is still open!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM

what has happened...i haven't read anything from the snowmen quilters since the 21st...is my computer not receiving them or is everyone busy making their blocks
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeanettegoodall
what has happened...i haven't read anything from the snowmen quilters since the 21st...is my computer not receiving them or is everyone busy making their blocks
I got busy with the boomerang swap. (whoops) I need to do my blocks for this swap and the b/w/brights swap too...

I got swap happy!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 AM

I am so far behind that I can't see daylight!! I got carried away with swaps! RedWhiteBlue, SunBonnetSue, BlackWhiteBright, Scrappysiggie, Boomerang, QuiltingBee, and more!! I love the swaps!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 AM

I've been busily making a Library Quilt for the Librarian at my daughter's school who is retiring late May. This has taken almost all my free time. I now have all the "books" finished, so I'll start to embroider titles on the books - all the activities the Librarian has been in charge of during her career. Once this quilt is finished, I'm going to start on my Snowoman and maybe, just maybe, if there's time, a Snowboyfriend for her. I already can picture his appearance. Belles
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM

i am so sorry pv but due to a shoulder injury i am going to ask to be dropped for the swap

thanks
Nancy
Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM

i can understand why no one has been posting, i too, am getting the swap bug ...wanting to be in every swap that comes along afraid that i will miss out on some wonderful quilt blocks...so all is forgiven...i am among all of you in these swaps...good luck and keep quilting