Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block  Swap (Closed) >

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM

The nowmen blocks are beautiful. Mine have a little more work on them before I can send them in. I didn't know if I should post a picture of one or not. I have 6 snowman heads and 6 snow women heads...all the kids love them and can't believe I'm sending them off. I tell them what comes in are mine to keep and not going to be one of their gifts. I love snowmen/women and have made at least 4 queen size quilts and they went to the kids as gifts as they know how I feel about snowmen and they will cherish them. They get a lot of compliments from them when someone hasn't seen them before. Every one of them was a true gift from the heart as my blocks will be for the lucky receivers.
Originally Posted by Belles
Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
Originally Posted by jeanettegoodall
I put my blocks in the mail today. Now i can move on to my next project...paper pieced frogs for my grandson's quilt
I would love to see pictures ... anyway you all could share the photos or are you all not doing that until folks receive their blocks?
CraftsbyRobin, I finished one block for the Snowman or woman or children or family swap. For two years I was BOM for my guild and one year I had calendar blocks for the year. This Snowoman was for January. However, the guild blocks were 10-inches finished. Since our swap is for 12-inches finished, I had to figure a way to introduce another 2 inches, plus seam allowance. I came up with an attic window setting. She is Snowy Quilter, rushing to turn in her last block for the swap. I see her through my sewing room window. I hope my block gives you some ideas. Belles
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by granny216
The nowmen blocks are beautiful. Mine have a little more work on them before I can send them in. I didn't know if I should post a picture of one or not. I have 6 snowman heads and 6 snow women heads...all the kids love them and can't believe I'm sending them off. I tell them what comes in are mine to keep and not going to be one of their gifts. I love snowmen/women and have made at least 4 queen size quilts and they went to the kids as gifts as they know how I feel about snowmen and they will cherish them. They get a lot of compliments from them when someone hasn't seen them before. Every one of them was a true gift from the heart as my blocks will be for the lucky receivers.
Originally Posted by Belles
Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
I put my blocks in the mail today. Now i can move on to my next project...paper pieced frogs for my grandson's quilt
I would love to see pictures ... anyway you all could share the photos or are you all not doing that until folks receive their blocks?
CraftsbyRobin, I finished one block for the Snowman or woman or children or family swap. For two years I was BOM for my guild and one year I had calendar blocks for the year. This Snowoman was for January. However, the guild blocks were 10-inches finished. Since our swap is for 12-inches finished, I had to figure a way to introduce another 2 inches, plus seam allowance. I came up with an attic window setting. She is Snowy Quilter, rushing to turn in her last block for the swap. I see her through my sewing room window. I hope my block gives you some ideas. Belles
granny216
You can post pictures. We would love to see them
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 AM

All of the blocks have some work done on them and as soon as I can get some orange thread for the nose...will post a couple of pictures. --
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Karen
what has happened...i haven't read anything from the snowmen quilters since the 21st...is my computer not receiving them or is everyone busy making their blocks
I am so far behind that I can't see daylight!! I got carried away with swaps! RedWhiteBlue, SunBonnetSue, BlackWhiteBright, Scrappysiggie, Boomerang, QuiltingBee, and more!! I love the swaps!
Well I'm right along side you-sewing my little heart out and still signing up for more. Are we crazy? Yes and loving every minute of it! Moosegirl
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 AM

I finally know what I am going to do and have went through my stash and found the fabric to do it with. I have some other things I need to get done "more swaps lol" and then I will get started on these.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:37 AM

I'm still afraid!!! my design is applique heavy and i don't know if i'm good enough yet.

thinking of letting someone else "take" my design, and just embroider blocks...

anyone wanna take it up? I really want to see this block, but i'm afraid i won't do it justice. i will do it (however sad) if no one else will!

Snowman Block Idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56713[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56713.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
I'm still afraid!!! my design is applique heavy and i don't know if i'm good enough yet.

anyone wanna take it up? I really want to see this block, but i'm afraid i won't do it justice. i will do it (however sad) if no one else will!
What you need to do is trace the pieces onto the paper side of a light fusible. {i use heat bond light} Cut them out on the line you drew, then cut the center out, leaving at least 1/4"-3/8" border to fuse to the back of your fabric. Cut around the edge and you have a piece to fuse to the backing square. All you need to do is fuse the edges, then satin stitch around the pieces when they have all been put in place. This way you will not be applique heavy. This is what you do with large pieces. You will be satin stitching the pieces in back first, continuing with each piece as it is layered.
You can do it! Try a sample, your stitching will improve the more you do. An open toed foot is a great help, but not necessary. Remember to use some type of stableizer on the back. Something that will tear off easily. :thumbup:
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jetnica

Jetnica:
I use transweb for stabilizer on all my applique and it works great. In fact I am working on my snowmen today and that is what I am using.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Ok - you girls are so encouraging!!! I will try to work on it this week. I will do one and post a picture for all to vote! =)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Ok - you girls are so encouraging!!! I will try to work on it this week. I will do one and post a picture for all to vote! =)