Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Summer 1.5" Swap - Sign-up Closed >

Summer 1.5" Swap - Sign-up Closed

Summer 1.5" Swap - Sign-up Closed

Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
i just want to say that i have gone through two of my stamp packages today and there were several that were cut less the 1.5" in both. i am up to 20 squares so far between the two packages that are cut less than 1.5" which is far too many in my opinion. i used a regular seam gauge to measure the squares.

i usually cut my stamps a little bit larger than 1.5" to make sure the receivers can have a true 1.5" square. i am aware that we may all use different methods to cut our squares, i am just asking that we take a bit more time to make sure the squares are 1.5". while a couple of "short" squares may make it into the baggies, 20 of 100 squares are too many imho.

I agree with you on this one as well HAv, I went back through mine and had at least 12 that were to short. hen there are the wonky ones that dont square up and to recut them they will only be about 1 1/8 " .. I am getting disappointed with swaps lately, I dont blame the hostess for they are not responsible for packages like these in this swap.

Wish all particiapints would take a little extra time making their swap items. I try to do my best and if I wont use it then I wont pass it along. So let sall try to make it better next ti,e around....
Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by shelrox
i just want to say that i have gone through two of my stamp packages today and there were several that were cut less the 1.5" in both. i am up to 20 squares so far between the two packages that are cut less than 1.5" which is far too many in my opinion. i used a regular seam gauge to measure the squares.

i usually cut my stamps a little bit larger than 1.5" to make sure the receivers can have a true 1.5" square. i am aware that we may all use different methods to cut our squares, i am just asking that we take a bit more time to make sure the squares are 1.5". while a couple of "short" squares may make it into the baggies, 20 of 100 squares are too many imho.

I agree with you on this one as well HAv, I went back through mine and had at least 12 that were to short. hen there are the wonky ones that dont square up and to recut them they will only be about 1 1/8 " .. I am getting disappointed with swaps lately, I dont blame the hostess for they are not responsible for packages like these in this swap.

Wish all particiapints would take a little extra time making their swap items. I try to do my best and if I wont use it then I wont pass it along. So let sall try to make it better next ti,e around....
Well, I wasn't going to "complain" because I thought out of 1000 stamps the dozen or so unusable ones weren't too bad. But since you opened the subject: I too found at least a half dozen that didn't measure up, some were cut wonky, and several included the selvedges, which makes them also unusable. I'm pretty sure mine were OK, but if they weren't, please let me know!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM

On the positive side: Yay, I'm looking forward to a neutral swap!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM

Staying positive, I just put all the unwanted/wonky one's in my scrap pile. Crazy quilters love unique!

BTW, yesterday I made 16 patch's with 2" squares. I was surprised to find out that I really enjoyed it. Hopefully it will be the same with the 1.5". :P
Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM

evie my statements were not meant to be complaints but more of a comment and a plea that the swappers take a second look at the sizes they are cutting the squares. when 20% of the first 2 bags i opened were less than the size we are trading, i feel that is a high amount. i don't think what i said was negative at all. i expect to get some squares that will be scraps.

Originally Posted by Evie
Well, I wasn't going to "complain" because I thought out of 1000 stamps the dozen or so unusable ones weren't too bad. But since you opened the subject: I too found at least a half dozen that didn't measure up, some were cut wonky, and several included the selvedges, which makes them also unusable. I'm pretty sure mine were OK, but if they weren't, please let me know!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM

Havplenty, I know what you mean, that's why I typed "complain." We all know that good quilts rely on accurate cutting and piecing. I try and I think most of the I succeed, and am especially careful if someone else is depending on my attempts. :?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM

i was cleaning up my bag of 1.5" square to have room for new fabric cuts. i did forewarn everyone near the beginning of this thread.

Originally Posted by pattis47
Ok, that explains it. I thought I forgot how to count to 50....lol

were there more than 50 squares in those packages? i know in most of my packages i included more than 50 squares (up to 60 in some) and some of those may have been doubles but there is always at least 50 different fabs in each of my packages.

Originally Posted by shelrox
Yes that I would not mind but I got alot of doubles in two packages and it is disappointing
Originally Posted by quilting Carol
Doubles on neutral would be ok with me.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM

patti i sorta followed your advice below and started opening bags and sewing squares. then i felt i needed more color so i emptied the previous bags i had sorted by color, then i dumped some of my side swap baggies and then i dipped into my own stash of 1.5" squares and now i have a total hodge podge going on.

i said i would sew squares for one week as i waited for all of my boom blocks to make it in, then i would put them away for later.

That sounds like tooooo much work.....thinking open package of 50 and start pairing them.....2 rows of 25 stitched together.....on to next package....etc. etc. etc...until the ten packs are sewn together randomly....then sash with a neutral or black and on to the next package of 10 sets of 50 for another block measuring 20 rows of 25 squares.....absolutely random.....otherwise, I know me and anal as I am I'll be 100 before I get them all sorted. I'll wind up with very light / light / light med / med / dark med / dark / very dark / misc / -----oh no---scrappy, random is sounding much better!

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Honestly, I don't have a clue! I have 6 or 7 more swaps before I have enough for a quilt, so I have plenty of time to get organized. Initially I think I'm going to separate them into light, medium, dark, & international. Who knows after that :roll:
psq hodge podge (aka chaos)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262894[/ATTACH]

psq hodge podge (aka chaos)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262895[/ATTACH]

my sewing buddy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262896[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262841.jpe   attachment-262842.jpe   attachment-262843.jpe  
Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Love that sewing buddy you have, looks kind of perplexed!
I was going to do my piecing this week, but remembered I had "Affairs of the Heart" blocks that should have been done several weeks ago. (I put them away, did such a good job of putting them away, I forgot all about them.) I had noted on my google calander that this was the week to piece the center unit, DUH only have about half of them done....so you know I will be doing applique until my eyes are crossed to catch up on the last 6 weeks!!!!!!!

patti i sorta followed your advice below and started opening bags and sewing squares. then i felt i needed more color so i emptied the previous bags i had sorted by color, then i dumped some of my side swap baggies and then i dipped into my own stash of 1.5" squares and now i have a total hodge podge (aka chaos) going on.

i said i would sew squares for one week as i waited for all of my boom blocks to make it in, then i would put them away for later.

That sounds like tooooo much work.....thinking open package of 50 and start pairing them.....2 rows of 25 stitched together.....on to next package....etc. etc. etc...until the ten packs are sewn together randomly....then sash with a neutral or black and on to the next package of 10 sets of 50 for another block measuring 20 rows of 25 squares.....absolutely random.....otherwise, I know me and anal as I am I'll be 100 before I get them all sorted. I'll wind up with very light / light / light med / med / dark med / dark / very dark / misc / -----oh no---scrappy, random is sounding much better!

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Honestly, I don't have a clue! I have 6 or 7 more swaps before I have enough for a quilt, so I have plenty of time to get organized. Initially I think I'm going to separate them into light, medium, dark, & international. Who knows after that :roll: