Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ugly" Fabric Swap/Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxus831 View Post
    I saw that the flat rate envelopes the post office gives you were 5.30. How are you guys getting 2yds of fabric for 2.70? If you guys can share that with me then I am all for the cheaper rate. I know here in WA we are paying $4.05 for gas so any little bit of money we all can save would be nice. I just don't use the post office much until now. Thanks for all the help my fellow quilters
    We can ship first class, which is just one class below priority. In my experience, it really only takes ONE extra day to get to its destination versus using Priority.
    My suggestion is this:
    Everybody pick up a 3 pack of 6"x9" manilla envelopes (found at drug stores, office supply stores, grocery stores.) Put 2 regular stamps on one envelope, then fold this envelope in half, and put it, along with your 1/3 yard ugly fabric, into the second envelope and mail to our host. This may cost just over $1- check with your post office. The price difference is due to the envelope inside. Keep the third envelope for a future use. I have a scale and also mail out little packages twice a week, so I know that 1/3 yard will be fine with just two stamps on a 6"x9" envelope.

Thanks! I will wash my ugly fabric tonight and send to our host soon.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Everybody pick up a 3 pack of 6"x9" manilla envelopes (found at drug stores, office supply stores, grocery stores.) Put 2 regular stamps on one envelope, then fold this envelope in half, and put it, along with your 1/3 yard ugly fabric, into the second envelope and mail to our host. This may cost just over $1- check with your post office. The price difference is due to the envelope inside. Keep the third envelope for a future use. I have a scale and also mail out little packages twice a week, so I know that 1/3 yard will be fine with just two stamps on a 6"x9" envelope.
    I am all for anyone who wants to do this. It also saves me time also. I will try to reinforce the "seams" in the envelope with some tape too just so that it arrives to you all safely.

Thanks for all the shipping help,
    Melinda
    Melinda
    Let us help a local QB member Elisabrat even a dollar can add up

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...kidney-/144120

I would love to see pictures of these "ugly" fabrics! here are 2 I'm considering for this swap. Anybody want to vote on which one I send?

Mustard and white. I have over 2/3 yard. It's a vintage Peter Pan fabric.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  116.3 KB
    This is rust and is a little bigger than a fat 1/3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

I would vote for the rust one.
    Melinda

Oh Foxflower, yes the rust one is slightly uglier than the mustard.

What a coincidence! The fabric I ALMOST chose was nearly identical to the rust one! I sent something else since I didn't have quite enough of it, but it's funny how they almost match!
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Moonrise, maybe I should send that piece to you so you have two that go together, LOL! Actually, the mustard and rust go together quite well, but with nothing else...I tried it to see if I could maybe make a nice fall walling hanging or something. I don't like those colors, so that's probably why they don't go with anything else in my stash but each other! So, two votes for the rust. Actually, I think it would make a nice barn (suggestion for anybody who might get it if I send it) I originally had over 2 yards of the mustard and have managed to give way most of it to gals who like mustard color fabric. I've also used it to make rice bags and then covered it with pretty fabric. Why waste nice plain muslin when I could use that up! No other pictures folks?
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I would like to join, I have some really ugly fabric, my sister goes to yard sales and sends me fabric when ever she sees it! Most of the time it is pretty nice, but sometimes I have to wonder "what was she thinking?"

Now if someone had a swap for ugly polyester!!! LOL, why do I keep it? My husband can't use it for rags and even the cats won't sleep on it!

~
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Marybeth, you definitely need to through the polyester away....or donate it to someone else. It's taking up space that could be occupied by cotton and wool! Just think of it as fat and yourself as the cosmetic surgeon.....liposuction here we come......vroooooommmmmm.

Blog Entries
    LOL, I think you have a good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
    Marybeth, you definitely need to through the polyester away....or donate it to someone else. It's taking up space that could be occupied by cotton and wool! Just think of it as fat and yourself as the cosmetic surgeon.....liposuction here we come......vroooooommmmmm.

Here's my ugly fabric. this is only a peek. The ugliest portion isn't even visible in this photo.

Weathervanes! I think that's kinda cool. One woman's ugly is another woman's cool!

It contains an ox weathervane too!

Blog Entries
    My Ugly fabric, going in the mail in the morning

I like the weathervanes, at least the part we can see! Marybeth, those trees are actually ugly!! Good choice, now I'm going to go see if I have an ugly enough piece and I'll join with you all!
    jillnjo

The pic really help make it exciting. I can see how this gets to be so fun!

Quote Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
    My Ugly fabric, going in the mail in the morning
    Yes Marybeth,
    That is Yucky!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexxus831 View Post
    I hadn't posted a list I was just asking a couple people if they were gonna join us. Here is the list though. If you find yourself missing please drop me a line.

mmonohon
    cjr
    mom-6
    atpegsquiltstudio
    BarbaraSue
    MdmSew'n'Sew
    JenniePenny
    Cattyqwltr
    playswithcolor
    missgigglewings
    I would like to try this swap/challenge sounds like fun
    Have an awesome day!

I will try to narrow my ugly selection down and you can let me know what ya think. Here is the list of participants so far. If you don't see your name on the list please let me know. This will be so much fun.

nexxus831
    mmonohon
    cjr
    mom-6
    atpegsquiltstudio
    BarbaraSue
    MdmSew'n'Sew
    JenniePenny
    Cattyqwltr
    playswithcolor
    missgigglewings
    moonrise
    foxflower
    Segasal
    roseirish48
    marytoddliz
    Jenniky
    Melinda

Nexxus -- Mailed off the fabric this morning.

Blog Entries
    Melinda, I mailed the fabric with a 6 x 9 manila envelope with 2 stamps on it, if you need more please let me know. I was thinking of sending you another "Ugly" and I will add more postage for you to put on that envelope. The one I mailed to you was $1.20 not to bad. I wrapped it in cling wrap. Both the wrap and the envelopes I got at the dollar store. They were 6 envelopes for 99cents and the wrap was also 99cents.

I am going to use this method to do all exchanges, when I mail back the completed blocks.

I bought 5 pack of 6x9 padded plastic envelopes at walmart. Don't remember the price, but they said "super strong & moisture resistant" on the envelopes. I put on 2 stamps on the return envelope and included an extra in case it is needed, if not, easy to send back with my new "ugly" fabric.

Almost forgot about this...been spending most of my life on the road lately...will check out my stash this evening. I know one of the fabrics I'm considering will quite likely go great with the rust one pictured earlier LOL!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

HMM, sounds like this swap is going to be an autumn colors lover's dream swap.

my fabric choice

I am considering this fabric for the swap...I will post my other option later. This one makes me wonder what I was thinking when I bought it
    Melinda

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast