Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions >

Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions

Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions

Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

My sewing area is under construction now. It is 20x20 with a 10x12 storage room and a bathroom with a shower that is 8x10. Two large windows and French doors with glass in the doors and the storage room has got a large window. Make sure you have lots of outlets and lights.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM

My room is about 18X22, center of west wall has gas fireplace, area rug in front of it with love seat sofa to one side and TV stereo system on the other side. Coffee table which I use for lap top. next to this I have a big desk and a table which I have 3 of my Pfaff 7570's kinda in the center of the room.
North wall:french doors, (wood) going down one step into living room, in the almost center of that wall, butcher block counter high cutting table to one side. storage one the other side for fabric and quilting books.
East wall: huge window in the center of this wall, and all along the 22 feet long wall are old singer cast iron bases with Oak tops for 5 of my FW's, One Pfaff 7570 in desk at the end of the row.
South wall: window at one end of wall and glass french doors at the other end of the wall. Nolting mid arm comes out from this wall which has design wall between the window and doors.
At the end of the south wall and along the west wall in that corner is a 5 shelf metal storage unit for batting and backing fabric. I have a 3 panel folding screen I can move to hide much of it from the rest of the room.
Above sewing machines along the walls I have 3 cubby storage units with canvas baskets for fabric. 7 units. and then rolling 6 drawer units, from Ikea in between sewing machines, 4 of them. Book shelves going down the hall for fabric and quilting books and mags.
Ceiling fans and lights, track lights, the one I do Not have that would have been great is outlets at table top height. I have to get down low to plug in any thing, not so good at my age.
My room works for me, in the year that I have been here I think I have moved every thing around at least once a month, so nice to have movable units. I think I have finally found the arrangement I like best. It may take you time to find what works best for you, so only thing I would suggest is to have easy to move. Lots of good light, ( I have Ott light at each machine) comfortable sewing chair, and easy chair for hand work, (I have love seat sofa so in the winter I can put my feet up under a quilt and be nice and cozy) I have fun things around that make me happy just to look at them, I want my room to be my happy place. How ever you do your room enjoy it and have fun!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Enjoy!! Im drooling!!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Goodness, this has me thinking again about building a separate studio on the property.

I like the idea of lots and lots of electrical outlets at about waist high. I don't think I'd like wires hanging from the ceiling although I know lots of people do like it. Lighting is super important If it was me, I would focus a lot on this. I'd paint the walls a light color and I'd have a hard floor. I like the suggestion to put furniture on lock-able wheels so you can rearrange things. After you get settled in to your space, you may change your mind about where you want things. I love having a design wall and plenty of shelving behind closed doors.

Won't this be exciting for you! Keep us updated.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM

I love your ideas. Please keep them coming. I've read a lot about some lights getting too hot. What kind of overhead lighting do you suggest?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 PM

I have read this column for years and lately I have been thinking about a design wall too. Now I think I came up with a good one. I think we should do them with the foam insulation board, but use them as doors on the bookcase or some other storage unit. We would have to add wood 1 x 3" or something to hold the hinges okay. Think about it, if
use have a good size room, use a far wall as storage and then use the doors as the design wall. That way you are doing double duty and not taking up two walls. We have to think double duty most of the time. If we do not hinge them to the bookcase(cupboard, etc), then we could slide them into a slot at the top and bottom to hold them so they do not tilt. I just have to go to the workshop and make this happen. Everyone, think about this in your space too.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Storage is a must and it seems like you never have enough. I like the ideas about the electrical outlets, might would like to have one over my mid-arm. I have florecent lights my DH installed, they work great for me. You never seem to have enough outlets so think hard about how you plan to set the room up, plan your outlets, then put in more!...
As others on here have said over and over again, " I thought I wanted ____ there, but I wish I had it over there now."
I hope your room turns out to just the way you want it! Enjoy it!!!!
Can't wait to see pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM

I have an ironing board unit that is built into the way which is lovely. My storage is inside a closet and I am trying to figure out how to re-construct that. The bins are getting too heavy for me to maneuver. I will be interested to see what others suggest.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Start with good general lighting, then either track lighting or something that you can direct toward each work station, especially since you have no windows. I LOVE pegboard, I can't get enough of it. I can SEE everything, my tools are out of my way but always in reach. And those pegs can be reconfigured ad nauseum. There are ways to make it attractive. I painted mine to match my walls and put a finishing edge on it. Someone here on the board painted a quilt block on hers and glued a fabric border around the edges. Be creative.

Shelving, I have a whole wall of it my DH and I built to hold my stacks of fabric yardage and bins of fat quarters as well as dozens of books and magazines. A cutting table you can access from all sides like a kitchen island is wonderful and it sounds like you have enough space for one. A design wall, I'm still working on getting mine up. I have a little corner in my studio with a comfy chair and a lamp just for sitting and doing handwork, or sitting and reading, or just sitting and relaxing! Make it an attractive space you will WANT to spend time in.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and I've already said a lot, so here is a link to the thread about my new studio I posted a couple of months ago.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...o-t217456.html
Old 07-27-2013, 05:16 AM

Did the same thing about 6 mos. ago. My best investment was adjustable shelves that were 8' tall (ceiling is 10'). All my furniture is white, including shelves which are only 11" deep. Perfect size for fabric wrapped boards (and no wasted space). Large moveable cutting table, 2 sewing tables, easy to clean floor and lots of natural light. I noticed you won't have windows...I also added lots of pot lights. I love my room. It's a happy place!