Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you have a better solution?

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaSt View Post
    Me too. I also have some stored only in digital format on my PC, which is way more organized than my notebooks!

I also save the pattern sheets from magazines even if I don't save any of the patterns from an issue. Sometimes I want an applique shape or quilting design and the simple designs on the pattern sheets can be just what I need.
    I never thought of keeping the pattern sheet. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    not many people will want (or appreciate) your magazines once you tear out numerous pages---if you want to (share/donate) the magazines after removing the patterns you would like to keep a better option would be to either copy them with a copier - print them out & put them in binders (you can buy printer paper with 3-holes already in it) or scan them onto a disk for future use- if you tear the pages out you may as well then recycle the rest of the magazines.
    Not sure that it's legal to photocopy the pages. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricbug View Post
    just a thought, make sure you know what issue mag the pattern came from in case there's an error in the cutting or sewing information, been there done that!
    Great idea. Thanks!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Good ideas for sure .. I just print off what I want and put it into a notebook and then once a year go through the notebook to see if I truly want that pattern or item. Magazines-the same way... IF I like the item out it goes and into the notebook. Scanning is a good idea never thought of that one ! Thanks for sharing
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Use a filing cabinet. I have mine alphabetically filed with the designer on some of them. I also have books in files too.

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaSt View Post
    Me too. I also have some stored only in digital format on my PC, which is way more organized than my notebooks!
    This is what I have done. I found out that my digital camera takes photos that are as good as any scanned image.
    What this did, it cleared up a lot of space on my shelves (which are not cleared just holding other stu.. ok, honesty here, more fabric!)
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    i have too many projects on my bucket list. therefore, i don't save any paper anything anymore. there are so many wonderful ideas on the internet, i'll always be able to find something i'd like to make
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    I would photo copy in color and put in sleeves BUT don't put them on disk! because disk will not last! and some day you may not have a PC to get them on!
    External hard drives are not too expensive. Keep your digital files there. Paper takes up space and deterioates(sp) too with time.
    Sally

I tear out the patterns that I want to keep and then pass the magazine on to my sister. I keep the patterns in the plastic sleeves in 3-ring binders. This system has worked pretty well for me for many years.

I just keep the patterns and information that I want from my magazines and then take the rest to my quilt club. There are always ladies who are interested in the patterns that I don't care for.

Just bought a hanging file crate and now file them by catagory. It works great. I download alot of patterns online so this works better than notebooks and is cheaper and easier to use. No holes to punch and no plastic sleeves to buy. Had them in notebooks till I ran out of room in them. This works better for me.
    Magazines I keep on a bookcase, just cant cut them up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
    I created some ring binders for quilting; patchwork; applique and miscellaneous things when I was taking a City and Guilds course for P&Q years ago. I add to these all the time with patterns I've found. I also have a big collection of QNM mags and often find that designs I couldn't attempt before now seem easier as I've learnt more. So I won't be throwing them away yet! Also I have found my taste for different styles of piecing and applique has changed over the years. All a learning curve.
    Agree here...a quilt design that totally did not interest me one day will later on be just what I am looking for. But I really do have too many mags. I too don't want to remove pages and then pass on the magazine.

I have a 3" three ring binder with plastic sleeves. I pull the pages out and store in the sleeves. I have co-workers that do like looking at the magazines even after I've pulled a pattern from one! When my binder gets full I go through it and see if I'm ready to get rid of some of the things I've saved. My taste changes, so I usually am ready to get rid of something. When I just want to look and think about a project I love to pull the binder out and just sit, read through it and enjoy a cup of tea.

Blog Entries
    I have magazines stored in binders, patterns in plastic sleeves in binders and I'm looking forward to scanning the whole mess to thumb drives - then storing the thumbdrives in some cute way so I can tell what is on each. I have started saving my embroidery projects to thumb drives. It's a big WIP.

For years I've scanned things I like from mags and stored them on my external hard drive because like someone else said there's usually only 1 or 2 things in a mag I may want to keep. It's true, if you burn them onto a cd or dvd the copies don't last forever but if you keep them on an external drive you can always have access to them. I like the idea of tearing them out but when I used to do that I still accumulated too much so I had to go digital.

I tear out the quilts and instructions I like. I laminate them and place in 3 ring binder. They are more durable and less slippery than plastic sleeves. I bundle the old magazines and sell them at our quilt show, with a note on each bundle that some articles are missing. We sell them in our country store at the show for a $1. and boy they go quickly with the guild getting the profits.

Seems like some folks take the best ideas out and give the rest away. Creative recycling!

Quote Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 View Post
    I have 3" binders with plastic transparent sleeves that I put patterns in. For magazines, I tear out the patterns that interest me and give the magazines away.
    that is what I do also-takes up less room
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I do that too. I keep all my quilting ideas sorted digitally. I have an external hard drive that gets backed up regularly and the files can be easily accessed form any computer as long as i have that hard drive with me. it is only about the size of a pack of cigaretted. andf no i do not smoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
    I scan any I am interested in and file in my computer. I organize them by type of pattern and then it make it easy to look at them with the thumbnails and find the one I want. It really helped me with space in my room.

I'm no legal expert, but would think photocopying for your own use is okay. Just don't photocopy and give the pattern away. What you do with the pattern in your own home is your business I would think.

Magazines..

I recently went through all my mags and books and kept what I wanted and still had a ton of them. No time to go through and copy all of them. Made magazine holders similar to some I bought at the container store a couple of years ago. Made 5 in 2 days and they hold tons of mags and books. I would post a pic here but no place to do it. I am going to put a new message in with pics.
    My son came up with this one.... "You can't escape the LONGARM of a quilter...."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2