Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Do you have a better solution? >

Do you have a better solution?

Do you have a better solution?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt View Post
Me too. I also have some stored only in digital format on my PC, which is way more organized than my notebooks!
This is what I have done. I found out that my digital camera takes photos that are as good as any scanned image.
What this did, it cleared up a lot of space on my shelves (which are not cleared just holding other stu.. ok, honesty here, more fabric!)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

i have too many projects on my bucket list. therefore, i don't save any paper anything anymore. there are so many wonderful ideas on the internet, i'll always be able to find something i'd like to make
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
I would photo copy in color and put in sleeves BUT don't put them on disk! because disk will not last! and some day you may not have a PC to get them on!
External hard drives are not too expensive. Keep your digital files there. Paper takes up space and deterioates(sp) too with time.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM

I tear out the patterns that I want to keep and then pass the magazine on to my sister. I keep the patterns in the plastic sleeves in 3-ring binders. This system has worked pretty well for me for many years.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

I just keep the patterns and information that I want from my magazines and then take the rest to my quilt club. There are always ladies who are interested in the patterns that I don't care for.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM

Just bought a hanging file crate and now file them by catagory. It works great. I download alot of patterns online so this works better than notebooks and is cheaper and easier to use. No holes to punch and no plastic sleeves to buy. Had them in notebooks till I ran out of room in them. This works better for me.
Magazines I keep on a bookcase, just cant cut them up.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
I created some ring binders for quilting; patchwork; applique and miscellaneous things when I was taking a City and Guilds course for P&Q years ago. I add to these all the time with patterns I've found. I also have a big collection of QNM mags and often find that designs I couldn't attempt before now seem easier as I've learnt more. So I won't be throwing them away yet! Also I have found my taste for different styles of piecing and applique has changed over the years. All a learning curve.
Agree here...a quilt design that totally did not interest me one day will later on be just what I am looking for. But I really do have too many mags. I too don't want to remove pages and then pass on the magazine.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM

I have a 3" three ring binder with plastic sleeves. I pull the pages out and store in the sleeves. I have co-workers that do like looking at the magazines even after I've pulled a pattern from one! When my binder gets full I go through it and see if I'm ready to get rid of some of the things I've saved. My taste changes, so I usually am ready to get rid of something. When I just want to look and think about a project I love to pull the binder out and just sit, read through it and enjoy a cup of tea.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM

I have magazines stored in binders, patterns in plastic sleeves in binders and I'm looking forward to scanning the whole mess to thumb drives - then storing the thumbdrives in some cute way so I can tell what is on each. I have started saving my embroidery projects to thumb drives. It's a big WIP.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM

For years I've scanned things I like from mags and stored them on my external hard drive because like someone else said there's usually only 1 or 2 things in a mag I may want to keep. It's true, if you burn them onto a cd or dvd the copies don't last forever but if you keep them on an external drive you can always have access to them. I like the idea of tearing them out but when I used to do that I still accumulated too much so I had to go digital.