Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Finally, my own sewing space/room

Finally, my own sewing space/room

I am so excited, I finally have my own sewing room and can get all my sewing/quilting 'stuff' all in one place. After having it stuck everywhere and not knowing what I had or being able to find something when I wanted it, because I couldn't remember where I had stashed it, it is all now in one room. Not the biggest room, but for someone who hasn't had their own space I am thrilled.

Right now everything is just stacked in there everywhere, but I look forward to getting it all organized after we finish moving into our new home. I also have my own genealogy/computer room, so I feel like I am in hog heaven all the way around.

The walls in my sewing area are a dark color and will have to stay that way for a while, and I have no idea of how i want to arrange it for sure at this point, but all that will come in time. Also carpet on the floor, but will manage with that too, it is just so exciting to have a place for it all. The room is only 12 x 12 (a bedroom) which looked big to me until I started filling it up of course.

Just had to share my good news with everyone. I have enjoyed looking at all the photos and reading all the organizational ideas everyone has posted and now I can put some of them into place in my own room as time progresses.

I just recently serged some napkins for my granddaughter's wedding and it was so nice to be able to leave it all right there when I had to stop to fix a meal or something and then go back to it and pick up where I left off, instead of having to put it all away and get it back out again as I had to do previously.

So any ides any of you may have are most welcome. There is nothing on the walls at the present and I have a huge closet (which is already full). I probably won't have room for a lot of decorations, as I want it to be serviceable, but once I get it arranged and sorted out, then will look towards any decorations that can be had and space used. I am one for more practicallity than for looks.

Now to get on with the rest of the moving so I can get busy.

themachinelady doing the happy dance

Congratulations on getting your own space. You'll love it.

YAY for you!! You will love having a dedicated space for sewing/quilting. It's so nice to be able to have a little getaway within your home.

congratulations! you deserve your own area .... have fun stitching.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

So happy for you to have your own space. I don't know how I ever got along without mine. I am cleaning mine up this last few days, it sure needed it.

Blog Entries
    It makes such a difference when you can leave it out in order to take care of another moment!! Have fun!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Lighting. A few ikea bookcases pushed together to use for storage and as cutting table. Nice big quilt on the wall. Have fun

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be so productive and happy in your room!
    Rilène

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats from me, too!

Congrats! There's nothing like your own space.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Congratulations on your own space! Be sure to leave plenty of wall space for your design wall. My room is the same size as yours. When I sit at my machine my design wall is directly in front of me. It's made of 2 foam sheets covered with flannel. The whole thing is 8x8 ft. I absolutely love it. Previously had a 4x8 design wall, but it wasn't big enough. At the end of the design wall is pegboard for tools. My sewing/cutting table is 4x6 so everything is conveniently located. It took about 6 months to settle into this arrangement, but DH still calls it a work in progress.
    Shirley in Arizona

Congrats, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Congrats!! Put your cutting table under the window. If you don't have an Ikea around, go to amazon.com for bookcases (and leg lifts for your cutting tables). You can make an ironing board with a long dresser - just put a piece of plywood covered with batting and cotton on top of it! Then you have drawers to store things!! I spent extra money and bought a disappearing design wall that is over my closet doors. It looks like a wooden box, but I pull the window shade down from the box and have a design board. You could make one yourself!! You can leave your blocks on the design board and roll it back up. Just some ideas!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Congrats!.... I've been there and I know it is an awesome feeling. And, YES, where does all the space go?
    Have fun!...
    Country1
    Country 1

I know the excited feeling. Before I got my own small room I sewed in the corner of the bedroom, ironed in the bathroom, cut on the dining table, ripped out seams in the living room, and pinned the binding outside on the grass. I am so thankful for the room and you will be too.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

Congratulations...I'm really happy for you....I've got 2 rooms I use as a studio and fabric pantry (only good thing about kids growing up and moving away is their room becomes available).....and I still sometimes can't find where I've put something....but I'm not organized yet. My walls are funky fake paneling and I hate them....but am overwhelmed by the idea of removing everything and then painting them....

Enough about my dilemma....I REALLY AM HAPPY FOR YOU! Post pics when you can....I too love looking at what others have done....if you want a real thrill/treat/envy-maker look at thread posted by Marcia....http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...h-t205013.html

I'm always inspired by her posts....

blessings...

Congratulations- enjoy your space!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad for you. I share my sewing studio with the computer room. That's ok with me though. It gives me inspiration looking at all the pretty quilts. That way I can print them off and save a pic until I can make it! Good luck with yours!
    Go forth and sew!

Happy for you! Congratulations!!

Thank you to all of you for your warm wishes, congrats, and great ideas. Right now, everything is just stacked in the room as we move. It will probably take me a year to get thru it all and get the room arranged as I would like, but in time it will all come together I feel sure. Always love to hear other's ideas of what they have done and see if they will work for me. Just to have everything in one place is sooooo great. Now to get this moving finished, at the rate we are going, it will take forever. Hubby and I both have decided we are too old for this moving bit, but it has to be done. I will be so happy to be able to get down there and start working thru all the stuff, I know I have to have duplicates of some things as I couldn't find a lot of things before from having it stuck everywhere. I found a bunch more of UFO's I had forgotten I even had, so once I get some organization and arrangement I will definitely be working on those to get them out of the way before starting something else (ha, why do I not believe myself).

Again, thanks for all your wonderful thoughts and keep those ideas on organization and arrangement coming, appreciate them all.
    t.m.l.

Blog Entries
    Enjoy your heavenly Place, to create a treasured creations!

i just moved my sewing room to new quarters a few months ago. It was a time-consuming project as I went through EVERYTHING and sorted and tossed and rearranged. It is so awesome to have your own dedicated space. And even though I have a lot of space in my studio, I also have a LOT of stuff, so not a lot of room for purely decorative items. Why not let your fabric be your "decoration"? There are so many ways to store and organize fabric in an attractive way, your stash can become the focal point of your room. And if you have space anywhere for a design wall, even a small one, you can hang a quilt when you're not using the design wall. You've gotta have places to store your stuff, why not put it in something pretty like a vintage chest of drawers or trunk? You can sometimes find treasures at thrift shops that just need a little TLC to make them functional as well as pretty.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)