Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Frustrated

The Honey Bun Fairies have it and are currently playing with it. When they are done, they will put it back where you can find it. I blame everything I cannot find on fairies. There are the Scissor Fairies, the Seam Ripper Fairies, the Car Key Fairies. Those fairies can be darn annoying some days.

Gail

It is time we start making maps! I'm serious. We have an Asian medicine cabinet (was for herbal medicines that the old ways used... and some still do so today). It is perfect for keeping paper clips, small clamps, rubber bands, color pens, tapes, business cards, etc. DH made a map of the chest and put it in the top center drawer. He's so brilliant! I'm thinking that I need to do that for my sewing room. After each quilt I could check the map and not end up putting too many things in the wrong place. Most things go in the right place, but when you need that one specific thing, and can't find it......!!! Yes, I'm going to do this as soon as I get clearence from the doc to start walking more (Achilles problem operated on). See, even bum deals can result in good things happening.

How many times can you lose a book with quilting patterns in it? Well last count three times. All of my quilting books are in a single book case, so where could I have put the missing book? I know if I bought a replacement it would show up. I think this book is magic.

I lose things with such alarming regularity, my husband threatened to put a lo-jack theft deterrent device on me, or at least a panic button car alarm, for fear I would forget where I put myself! He nearly got smacked for that one, LOL, but he does have a point. How disorganized can one woman BE?? No matter how hard I try to get myself organized, it just seems to get worse ...

The biggest problem is that I am a very unorganized and messy person. I get so disgusted with myself. I try to be more organized but I swear it just never works. I organize and the next thing you know, everything is a disaster again. I about made myself nuts yesterday looking for my 3.5 inch square creative grid. I am giving up and buying a new one today. I bet as soon as I do, I find the "missing" one. Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

If I really want to scare myself, I watch a few episodes of Hoarders, Buried Alive. Now mind you, I am truly not even close to that but it usually works as a good smack in the face to get my mess under control.

Gail

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Totally understand. I always say I don't have a filing problem, I have a retrieval problem. You will find it and it will get easier next time.

I so feel your pain. I always feel so organized until I am looking for the certain something-hope u find what you are looking for.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Been moving into my new house with my quilting shop being moved in also. Can't find a thing when I need it. Still unpacking so maybe it will all show up sooner or later. LOL
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I'm glad you found your honey bun roll. You're not alone in putting things where you're sure to find it....NOT!!! Drives me crazy. I don't know how many times I gave up on finding something, went and bought a new one and as soon as I get home with it...find the original one. And I probably looked in that place a half dozen times. I think someone moved it and then put it back just to see how batty I could get. lol
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

My rooms a mess but I found putting fabric thats planned for a quilt ( i call it sets) with my works in progress or ufo's help me to refind them when needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Totally understand. I always say I don't have a filing problem, I have a retrieval problem. You will find it and it will get easier next time.
    I say this all the time, but few people get it.....thought I was alone in the world....good to meet you!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was looking for some items the other day. Looked at my cutting table and there was a pack of index cards I don't remember purchasing much less placing on the table. Grabbed a pen and started making a list of what was in the box I was going through. All my containers are see-through but I started labeling and taping to inside of box. I used a sharpie med point so I could read from a slight distance at-a-glance. I had been looking for a template and found it in the 3rd box. pulled the template out and labeled the items in that container. It actually went pretty quick. I found more index cards and marked a few more containers. Anytime I need to pull an item and switch to another container, I can scratch through that item and mark the other container list of the transfer. I went through my yarn carrier and made a list of what's in there. Punched a hole in it and ran a ribbon through the hole and attached it to the zipper pull on the outside pocket. It's working and that's all that matters.

Tessagin - great tip...quick, easy, inexpensive, versatile! I use painters tape on non see thru containers..no residue, change when need to, and love the new colors!

I did an inventory of all sewing room gadgets/tools and put everything in an Excel spreadsheet which includes a column marked Location. When I want to find something that is stored in a big 6 drawer dresser, I refer to the spreadsheet. I tacked the spreadsheet to my bulletin board. If I lose the board, I'm doomed like the rest of you.....

My sewing room isn't that big. You wouldn't think I could lose anything in it, but I do! The latest thing was two pieces of blue fabric that I needed for my collage. I tore that place apart. Do you think I could find them?
    Finally gave up and got down on my knees to pick up some bits of junk off the floor and there they were...they had fallen behind my cutting table and were stuck halfway up between the table and the wall! I may have cursed a little.

Watson

In my working days, we built on and my office moved to a different location. After the move, I wish I had a dime for every time I said "if I was in my old office, I would know exactly where it is"

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I don't like clutter but put something away and i spend way to much time looking for it. Guess we need things really in plain site. Your honey bun will someday be found, maybe not just when you want it.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I live in a camper, so organization is high priority. The bulk of my stash however is in bins in my closet, outside in a shed & one bin underneath. I taught a neighbor to quilt a couple of years ago & she was amazed that I know what I have, just not which place it's in at the moment. LOL! Just yesterday I was seeking a specific piece of fabric for a Christmas wall-hanging I want to make. The main fabric finally got here!! By the time I found it, I was too pooped to work on the project! :-) I think we've all been there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2