Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your fabric stash?

I don't have the wall space & or shelves to store my fabric on shelves - either on boards or folded flat. All my fabrics are stored in covered plastic boxes, stacked on top of each other, some 4' high. Most are by color: red, pink, blue, purple,teal/turquoise, yellow/gold, etc. I do have some multi color prints that are labeled as multi color brights = bright &/or white backgrounds and multi color darks = those with dark colors or black backgrounds. I also have a box for each of the following : Fall prints, fabric for OBW's, Christmas prints and fruits/vegie prints. Solids, Batiks and hand dyes are mixed into each of the boxes for each color. I save and use even tiny strips (1/2" wide), so keeping them in boxes work best for me. The stacks are stored under my cutting table and against a wall. I started out with smaller boxes (shoe box size or twice that size) and bought larger ones as the need arose. I also have a large box for muslin & ready for dyeing fabric and one for smaller pieces and scraps of batting. I marvel at those of you who take the time to wrap your fabric around boards or actually have numerous bolts of fabric for your stash.

I don't have the wall space & or shelves to store my fabric on shelves - either on boards or folded flat. All my fabrics are stored in covered plastic boxes, stacked on top of each other, some 4' high. Most are by color: red, pink, blue, purple,teal/turquoise, yellow/gold, etc. I do have some multi color prints that are labeled as multi color brights = bright &/or white backgrounds and multi color darks = those with dark colors or black backgrounds. I also have a box for each of the following : Fall prints, fabric for OBW's, Christmas prints and fruits/vegie prints. Solids, Batiks and hand dyes are mixed into each of the boxes for each color. I save and use even tiny strips (1/2" wide), so keeping them in boxes work best for me. The stacks are stored under my cutting table and against a wall. I started out with smaller boxes (shoebox size or twice that size) and bought larger ones as the need arose. I also have a large box for muslin & ready for dyeing fabric and one for smaller pieces and scraps of batting. I marvel at those of you who take the time to wrap your fabric around boards or actually have numerous bolts of fabric for your stash.

Dee
    Very nice. You could be a fabric store.

My husband cut small boards for folding the fabric out of masonite. They are thin and hold a short piece of fabric or several yards.

Blog Entries
    lord please let me loose in your fabric. lol i thought i was doing good with about 150 yards of fabric. i had to show my husband this because he wouldn't believe me. he thought i had alot. i don't think i will ever have to worry about having that much. just wish i did. thanks for posting it was an eyeopener. love it.

I am fortunate enough to have pots & pans drawers in my studio. I fold my fabric on Polar plastic boards and stand them in the drawers so I can see the edges of each one. Fat quarters are in the top shallow drawer. Large yardage is folded on boards from my LQS & are stored in the bottom drawer.

OK, after looking at some of these photos, I don't feel like such a textile hoarder!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    OK, after looking at some of these photos, I don't feel like such a textile hoarder!
    Me either. But I already knew I wasn't.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    I always say I'm a borderline hoarder !!!!
    (But in reality I'm a sucker for an awesome fabric sale.... )

I use the plastic storage bins. Was going to try the color coordinated foam board look like a fabric store shelves thing.. then the possibility came up that I may need to move. Putting it all in plastic bins will save that part of packing later. And.. after clothes(including shoes) that will be my biggest packing project. So I am planning ahead!

Madam Scissor Queen, You're my idol!! I have to agree with luvTooQuilt that My Place will never bee that neat!! if I can figure it out, I'll send you a picture of my fabric "closet".

Oh my goodness! This thread is making me droooool!!!

I don't have nearly as much fabric as many of you, but this is what I've been using -

these bins from IKEA:
    Name:  samla-box__68540_PE182704_S4.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  6.0 KB
    and some of those sterilite containers (you can see them stacked in the background):
    Name:  DSCN2256.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  162.8 KB

And the "ruler method" is.........?

I started accumulating fabric just two weeks ago and now I have to go out to the Container Store to get more fabric storage bins! I've heard that if you store fabric in plastic (and keep it sealed) that the fabric may deteriorate or rot. Is this correct? Also I think there must be different ways to store based upon your temperature as well. Colorado tends to be dreadfully dry and I am wondering how to keep my fabric fresh. . . Suggestions? Comments?

Blog Entries
    I got some 1 yard pieces at a recent LINUS work day..........they are rolled instead of being folded...neat little rolls...I was thinking maybe this would be a good way to do the smaller pieces....even those these are 1 yard pieces I just got. I currenly have all my fabric folded and stacked...problem is, the piece I need is always on the bottom and when you pull it out, it really messes up the pieces on top of it, so every so often I have to go and refold everything.. I think the foam board set up looks so pretty, and would eliminate that problem...BUT my cabinet is deep shelves....deep and tall...so not sure what size I would need to cut the foam board....anyone else got that problem, and what did you do about it?
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I have no idea how much all the boards cost. I started off with the Clotilde boards and they're expensive. So then I found the person here on the board that sells the coroplast boards and ordered from her twice. The rest of it is on foam core boards from Dollar General.
    I have a suggestion. I visited a shop that was closing and asked for the boards. I was able to get a bunch of them free. See if any of the shops near you, or shops that store items in a similar way, would be willing to give some to you. It never hurts to ask.
    Last edited by cindyg19; 08-09-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    cindyg19

Name:  storage.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  199.4 KB
    The vast majority of my stash started as FQs (I seldom by yardage unless it's for a specific project), I store it in totes by color or theme -- except my music fabric. It takes up two drawers in an old chest of drawers. Kits - either fabric purchased that way or collected by me are stored together and the put in a milk crate.

These pictures were taken a few years ago, so there has been some evolution, but the general storage is the same. The biggest issue is that when my mom passed away I brought fabric home and it's still stacked in boxes sitting around the room. But I'm using it. That's were many of my backings have come from lately. She would buy the rest of the bolt if she liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyg19 View Post
    I have a suggestion. I visited a shop that was closing and asked for the boards. I was able to get a bunch of them free. See if any of the shops near you, or shops that store items in a similar way, would be willing to give some to you. It never hurts to ask.
    I have a whole lot of reasons why I don't use regular bolt reels. If you leave them full size they take up twice as much space height wise as the little foam core boards and they're a whole lot thicker. If you decide to cut them, they're way harder to cut than the foam core boards. I do not care if they're free. The foam core boards only cost .16 cents to make since you get 5 full size and one half size board from each sheet. I can cut the dollar store foam core boards in just a few seconds with my rotary cutter and a ruler. Cardboard isn't nearly as sturdy width wise as the foam core boards. The foam core boards are uniform, the bolt reels are not all the same. I don't have a "shop" nearby but I do have a Dollar General a few blocks away.

Wow this is one gorgeous stash!
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

Name:  DSC01731.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  872.5 KBI recently refurnished my studio and I now have two of these cabinets full of fabric. I agree it is a pain when taking the fabric out.. I love the idea of wrapping my fabrics. It looks a lot neater and I'm sure it is a lot easier to get them out and see them. My dh is cutting some pink foam board for me right now to see how I will like that.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I just got some foam board at my dollar store.....now to figure how to cut it best? My cabinets are about 20" deep..and the shelves are 11 1/2 inches between them........so I was thinking about 10x15 would be a nice fit for those shelves...but then I only get 4 pieces from each dollar foam board.....any sugggestions that would do better?
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

I organize my fabrics almost exactly like you do! I don't use foam. I do have two more "categories," though, flowers and cheaters. I roughly divide my big from small using the fat quarter size and above for the big. Little goes into little plastic boxes by color.
    Ruth Krug

I bought the 'Billy' (from Ikea) open bookshelves that go less than a foot from the ceiling, and the long wall of my quilt room is full of these. I have 4 full bookshelves and there is a center bookshelf is about 14" wide with the same height as the rest of the shelving. The center one holds all my books. Magazine holders (metals ones, again from Ikea) hold all my magazines and are on the bottom shelves due to the weight. My fabrics are folded to fit on these shelves, which are around 11" deep. I have fabric sorted by colors: red, blue, green, yellow, rust/oranges, black, purple, and by types: metallics, batiks, Australian, Christmas, baby/kids, animals, and 'misc' (sky, oddities, bricks, rocks, etc). Works quite well and the shelving is quite sturdy enough to hold all the fabric on it. Am slowly cutting up the scraps and smaller amounts into the Bonnie Hunter system, and wow, do I have quite a pile in each size now. Those will eventually go into the plastic containers with labels. I'm not going to buy any more fabric until I use up quite a bit of what I already have!

Wow have I got things to learn I'm pretty new to all this but really surprised how quickly a stash grows . How and where to store it I haven't really thought about. I'm drooling over the stashes shown yummy! My DH bought me a big old fashioned wooden country table and I have set it up in my family room (only one big enough) and have my sewing machine and cutting mat on it and the ironing board close by. It has some storage underneath I'm using but I'll need to think about this more. Thanks for the ideas.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

A long-time quilter passed away and her husband invited several of her quilting buddies to come over and share her fabric stash. As her friends began pulling fabric off shelves and out of cabinets, her husband commented, "Wow, I had no idea she had this much fabric. There must be a couple hundred dollars worth of fabric here." All the women just smiled and looked at each other!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast