Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just curious-anyone else do this?

It is a lovely idea. I work in stages. Congratulations on keeping this ritual.

Blog Entries
    At the suggestion of someone on this board, I made a list of "all" the UFOs in my possession. It was the scariest thing I have ever done. The list had them numbered and it went to 12, each one was in a tub, properly labeled but it may or may not have the instructions. They are in various stages, most of them are cut out, some started to sew, but all seem to come to an abrupt halt when something didn't turn out or fit right or was too complicated for my skill level at the time.

I say all of the UFOs but in reality I got up to 12 and had a melt down. How could I possibly have a dozen unfinished quilts? The truth is....that was not "all of them". I just gave up and walked away.

Now, about 18 months later, I have better skills and have dug out several of them and I have made progress.

As far as purging: NO. I sure can't do that. I need to feel the accomplishment of finishing, using up the fabric, not to get rid of it.

One example is Allietare. The top is done. I've made the decision not to try to get it on the long arm, my hip is starting to talk to me.Name:  20181103_084849_resized.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  429.4 KB
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-05-2018 at 03:20 AM.

It is a never ending chore! I am finished making things for the annual boutique show I participate in-the show is next week-end. So, it is time to clean out and straighten up. I plan to spend next week sorting and getting rid of stuff-one way or another. I keep things relatively neat; however, neatly stored stuff can be too much stuff. I want others to get to enjoy some of it!

This is such a difficult concept for me that I am even having trouble writing this. When I begin a purge, the next thing that happens to me is a project pops up requiring what I'm trying to purge.

I religiously try to use my stash instead of going anywhere close to any version of available fabric/notions. I try to hold fast to the idea that if I 'use it' the shelves in my sewing room will 'lose it.'

So, does anyone have a magic hug that will fix my disease and can you send it via QB? We are a year post-hurricane that hit my sewing room first. At least the live oak hit my sewing room. Thank heaven no machines were damaged - only made really 'inside and outside' dusty when the ceiling and roof came down. Even after all that, there is a need for that magic hug. No kidding.

The magic hug is knowing you are making a decision. You want to keep your things. You can do that. You can also change your mind. Do what is best for you.

Blog Entries
    Hugs to you here. Hope u get everything straightened up 💖🥰

Many hugs being sent your way.

Last summer I had a hard sale and sold all the fabric K knew I would never use. Felt so good. I am 72 as well, and frugal to a fault. I tried not to think about how much I had paid for that fabric. I was hoping that whoever bought it couldn't go pay full price for fabric.

That should say yard sale not hard sale.

I used to do this and may start again. I clean the first 15 minutes. I am motivated because I want to make something and I get to use my room after it has been freshened.

Putting items away, especially rulers is key to not hunting.

Overcoming the mentality that I "might" need something that is taking up space was a huge hurdle for me, but once I did, it was so much easier to start downsizing.

As for my quilting, to keep myself organized, once a week I spend an afternoon putting everything away where it belongs and cutting scraps. I don't like working on the same thing ever day, so I pick two or three projects to work on for the week, at least one of which has to be a UFO. My ultimate goal is to have all of my scraps in an ikea dresser I have, all of my stash and UFOs down to one bookshelf, and all of my other craft supplies combined in a second bookshelf.

As for general purpose decluttering, each month, I choose a room to declutter. I go thru every drawer and cupboard and get rid of anything I don't need/want/use. I don't stop until I have at least one good-sized box to take down to the thrift shop. At least once a year, I pull every single article of clothing I own out of the closets and drawers and purge. I get rid of anything I don't use, doesn't fit, or is stained and worn.

Slowly, but steadily, I have been working my way through the abundance of "stuff". Once in a while, I do find myself needing a particular item I got rid of, but not often enough to make me regret decluttering overall. It's slow going, but at the same time, I am amazed at how much I have gotten rid of that I just don't miss at all. That being said, there is no way I could have gotten rid of everything all at once without going into some kind of shock.

ibadmin
    hi there.. any other opinion?

yes.. this is an awesome idea

Blog Entries
    Who’s our “ibadmin” guest? Saw the post on a couple of other posts

JJ Blaine - good for you. I for one like your style! I try to get hubby on board with my purging but that is a slow go. For example he had 30+ years of Ski magazines. After asking (begging!) several times he told me if I could sell them he'd get rid of them. Don't think he expected me to, but I sold them!!!! Purging makes me feel good, especially when I can give stuff, including fabric, to someone who can and will use it. That said, everyone should do whatever makes them happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sumarben View Post
    Once a year I purge, sort, and reorganize my sewing room. I used to make a ton of flannel rag quilts and had a lot of flannel. Realized I hadn't made a flannel quilt in years so donated and/or gave my flannel stash to a friend. This year I went so far as to change rooms! (empty nesters with bedrooms to spare). I also have found myself picking up and putting away rulers, tools, when I finish for the night - saves me frustration cause I don't spend precious time looking for things. I also tend to forget about fabric etc if it's out of sight so I've learned to store it on open shelves. I learn something new every time I reorganize - you'd think by the end of 72 years I'd have it all together - Nope!
    It's good to know I'm not a finished product! Good for you!
    *this space for rent*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2