Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just curious-anyone else do this?

Just curious-anyone else do this?

Once a year I purge, sort, and reorganize my sewing room. I used to make a ton of flannel rag quilts and had a lot of flannel. Realized I hadn't made a flannel quilt in years so donated and/or gave my flannel stash to a friend. This year I went so far as to change rooms! (empty nesters with bedrooms to spare). I also have found myself picking up and putting away rulers, tools, when I finish for the night - saves me frustration cause I don't spend precious time looking for things. I also tend to forget about fabric etc if it's out of sight so I've learned to store it on open shelves. I learn something new every time I reorganize - you'd think by the end of 72 years I'd have it all together - Nope!

Blog Entries
    My dear aunt, when she was the age I am now, told me the older we get, the stronger our personality becomes! She was so right. I'm also trying to put things away...I'm tired of the clutter and not finding things. I wonder if i will ever have it together..PS just a few years younger than you.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I do a purge about once a year too. I get tired of fabric or like you said I'm done making a certain thing like rag quilts. I love donating fabric I know I won't use. Also my room is always a mess so it needs some attention at least once a year!

I don't purge yearly but often. When my sewing area gets too cluttered. A good clean out gets me on track again. Recently I have been taking a shopping bag of scraps, ufo's and yardage for the free table at Guild. I decided to rid myself of cuts and prints left over from quilts I have made. I have freed up a tote. It's fun to see what someone else makes of the pieces. Quilters are clever girls and boys.

Last winter I decided I would challenge nyself to try to find One thing every day that could be either sold, donated, recycled or thrown away. That was after doing a major purge of weaving yarns and crafting materials that had sat unused for many years. I still have too much stuff, but have found that my daily purge challenge seems to be doing a good job of helping me get rid of excess in an unstressful way. Plus, since I have to look for something to get rid of everyday, I think twice about bringing anything new into my space.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

For me it is using up fabrics gathered over the years. Now when I die cut shapes I have been putting in some of the nice sized pieces to donate to a church run store in town. The pieces are too small for my smallest die to make it worth keeping. The gal that sorts through the scraps stated people who applique love the scraps she bags up to sell.
    I am not saving every small piece because I have so much of the bigger fabrics to cut up.
    I rarely buy new fabric, only if it is for a special quilt gift.

Blog Entries
    I try to stay neat and I put everything away like rulers, rippers, scissors, etc. as I go. When I finish a quilt top, I clean my sewing room and I take my scraps to my scrap bin. I decided I would spend a day or so at the first of each month sorting my scraps. I made that decision when it took me from the first of January until mid February to purge fabric, sort scraps and make scrappy donation quilts. I did it in March and again in April. It worked really well and I haven’t done it since. I am hopeless!

My sewing room stays pretty neat because my fabric is in another room. I store and cut my fabric in that room and while I do my best to keep it neat I seem to make stacks to be addressed. What I really need to do is stay out of fabric stores! Lol
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I am also getting ready to purge fabric and duplicate stuff. I am really trying to downsize the horrifying amount of "stuff" in my sewing room so I can get back to the basics.

I'm better about putting things away at the end of the day. I rarely do a big "purge". For one thing, I mostly sew/quilt on weekends and if I spend a whole weekend "purging" then I don't get to quilt. Besides every time I toss things out, I realize I need them and have to buy more and every time I re-arrange I can't find anything. Some things are best left alone for me.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Yes, I purge yearly right around New Yearís Day. I donít get to do much sewing in the summer months but will be anxious to get back into my sewing room right after we get home from this Scotland vacation. I clean my sewing space regularly... especially after each project. I think Iím a little OCD.

Power Poster
    Nope! I learned my lesson the last time I did a deep clean in my sewing room. I am still looking for some things that I know are in there somewhere but I can’t find them.

I get the strongest Urge to Purge, like a lot of people, around the New Year. I tend to do a deep clean-out then, reorganize, make new labels that give me a happy visual lift, and reclaim my space from the gremlins of chaos.

I also like to purge in an ongoing system to lessen my sense of overwhelm. So I have giveaway games for scraps, I have one person I save postage stamp size scraps for and send them when I have an envelope's worth. I have a bag hanging off my sewing desk for scraps that I'll sell for postage when I've filled it. I also have 4 trash containers (two small, two medium) around the room so I don't have an excuse to just move tiny pieces rather than trash them on the spot.

But, despite my methods, the only method that works is the one I struggle with the most: consistently tidying as I go. If I would only "put it away, not down" , my spaces would be so much more delightful.

I'm so guilty of not cleaning up after a project!!! Therefore, my sewing room is always a mess. You'd think I would learn.........

Our rental house sold that made us have to make an unexpected move. But I got a bigger sewing space. it was painful but when you have to touch just about everything it is a good time to purge. I have an old dresser that holds alot of stuff. I keep the things I use all the time on top or it.

I keep limits of the things I have to fit my space. When there is too much I find a place to pass things along. I am not leaving a huge mess for my daughter to have to deal with when I pass away.

I also made a spare room my sewing space, and when I moved my sewing stuff there that was the last time I purged. I do every now and then get rid of some items. A few months ago our guild had an activity where you could auction any of your items and I had a tote full of quilting gadgets, patterns, rulers, panels etc. I have tried the system of going through your fabrics and have a pile to throw, donate and keep. I end up keeping everything.

I just started to have a sewing/quilting class on Tuesdays evening in our church and decided that I will use my stash to start these ladies in this hobby..some may become addicted like I did..

At a recent retreat, the prizes were things donated by the members of the retreat. Dug through a shelf unit in the closet. Had about 20 objects. All but one received a new home.

Anyone want a floor standing round quilting/embroidery hoop?

I just reorganized my fabric stash last week. After I finished the last donation quilt for this year I decided I need to reorganize so I could see what I had. Found I used up a lot of blenders,off white, greens, navy blue, grays and such. With what I have left I will try to use it wisely. If I don't then I will be forced to buy more. LOL.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    so I am not the only one? I am working on organizing my sewing room now, got a lot of work ahead of me! 3 years of not doing anything, wlrk ahead of me. I have rejoind this and whnt to get back into sewing those quilts,mugrugs, etc. my problem is when I start a project, don't finish, lay it aside and start another, and do the same thing. Guess what my son said is right, I don't focus and finish the one project befor i go to another. as for the utincils, I wanted to get a pegboard and attach the items there, Haven't done that yet, got to find the pegboard material, but I don't want to sp[end a lot on that pegboard. anyway, working on the sewing room I plan to make that table topper, and mug rug, and quilt before the end of the year!
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

I saw where someone got those comic book card boards (they are pretty thin) and used them to wrap up fabric. It actually works pretty well and you can get 100 of them pretty cheap on Amazon. It helped me get my fabric wrapped up and I can actually see all of my fabric on the shelf because it makes them thin and they stack on their ends.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Last winter I decided I would challenge nyself to try to find One thing every day that could be either sold, donated, recycled or thrown away. That was after doing a major purge of weaving yarns and crafting materials that had sat unused for many years. I still have too much stuff, but have found that my daily purge challenge seems to be doing a good job of helping me get rid of excess in an unstressful way. Plus, since I have to look for something to get rid of everyday, I think twice about bringing anything new into my space.

Rob
    What a great idea, find one thing every day to purge. I need to do this. I haven't bought fabric in at least a year or 6 months, because I receive others scraps as they know that I make lots of scrappy quilts for charity. I go thru the bags and discard the really unusable but sometimes I keep too much and lately I'm not attending the usual places that save the scraps because it also takes so much time sorting etc. A lot of what I do get goes into dog beds so then I spend more time making the dog beds then I would like. I am trying to get better at getting rid of stuff and saying no thank you to the scrap bags offered.

Blog Entries
    love to sew; thats an awesome idea! well that wasn't intended this past week but I did ask for fabric and all if anyone has any to give away! cool idea. yes I am ready to do my mugrugs, table toppers , and whatever else! thanks for the idea! is there a pattern for the dog bed, or is it just a pillow type thing?
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    i have to re-organize at least two or three times a year.
    i have more fabric than makes any sense at all for one person.
    i often forget what i have or where i have stuffed/stashed it.

sometimes that leads to a give-away or sell-it-off-cheap purge.
    sometimes it just leads to a more organized form of chaos. lol
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

i have learned to keep a sack in the livingroom where I try and add a donate item per day. I do ok but I also love to buy scraps to make dog quilts with. I have too many scraps now but I do make small easy to make dog quilts that will be used in a crate after a storm. It makes me feel good and lately I am trying very hard to use up a lot of fabrics that I have but there is just something about fabric that keeps called me. I also am trying to sell one box of fabric a month, getting older and knowing I could never use what I have accumulated but it is hard to let go of it.

I don’t have the volume of resources many of you have but I do like a tidy work space. I tend to clear up after myself at the end of each day - although I don’t put everything away. I work in a spare bedroom, the door is always open and it’s the first room you look into when you go upstairs so I don’t like it looking too messy.

I’ve also got this thing about leaving my work space ready for the next time I’m in there - I hate having to put things away before I can start sewing again.

We've been building our house and living in it the whole time. It's now been about 7 years of living in construction mode. (trust me...anyone who has build their own home will attest that this is really not such a long time...lol.) I'm finally getting down to the finishing touches in my sewing/craft room, but I have so many projects going on in there, from pillows, to window shades, to furniture repairs, to picture framing, to quilts, etc. I've gotten used to the chaos. There seams to be some genius to all this madness, but it is definitely time to finish up everything and purge, purge purge! You're giving me inspiration!

~ C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast